It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silverlight for IE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hi! Has anyone else here installed silverlight? Have you noticed a difference to your webbing experience? What is the difference?

I installed it a few weeks back but i've noticed no difference on any web pages.... you think it could be some spy software incorporated by Microsoft? Spying on our movement on the web without actually telling us directly?

I'm thinking of un-installing it as it has had no effect whatsoever.... or if it has it is a very miniscule one...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It isn't going to improve your web browsing. To put it simply, it is a competitor to Flash. If you happen to be browsing something that uses silver light, it won't play.

To be honest, I would just leave it on if it is there. If you decide to remove it, it won't make a difference either.

I haven't seem many things that use silverlight. As a systems administrator sometimes I watch vidcasts and How-To videos from the Microsoft Web site, that's about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

Ok, thanx! But i still wonder if it's some kind of spyware program..... hmmm, i'll leave it for now..... just hope i don't get tons of updates for it!!

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Although similar to Flash, it's more directed at creating applications than animations, but it can also play animations and multimedia (apparently there was one big news site that used a Silverlight player to show the presidential inauguration).

It is only needed on sites that use it, just like Flash, but unlike Flash, it has the possibility of updating itself with Windows Update, but it's a small file, around 4MB.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
man i know my stuff,please get firefox..or opera..or safari
with ie your prone to getting all kinds of malicios cookies and viruses.
its not that i dont belive your competent.just an advice men.
get another browser,flash is good as it is

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

This as nothing to do with the browser, Silverlight is available for Firefox and Opera, and they are even making a version for Linux.

And it's not something that you can use Flash instead, that would be the same as saying "do not use Java, use Flash", they are different things for different uses.

And IE is not as affected by malicious software as people say, in almost 14 years of Internet use I never got any malicious software from it, and I use IE since version 3.

new topics

top topics

join