It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in NC/GA/TN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Has anyone seen any reports of this yet?

I've heard some chatter but don't see anything in the news yet. People first said SC/GA and then maybe NC. This reportedly happened minutes ago.

Also, I don't know the best place to look to look up seismic activity.

Will update if anything becomes available....

Looks like a 3.2 in Ducktown, TN.

MAP 3.2 2009/08/01 08:38:26 35.097N 84.242W 5.0 15 km ( 9 mi) ENE of Ducktown, TN

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

[edit on 1-8-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Edit because your information link is much better than mine.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I just noticed that as well. I checked the USGS site just before coming here and noticed they posted a 3.2 in North Carolina. In fact, judging by the map it occurred directly on the border of NC, GA, and TN.

Info: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Map: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Not really noteworthy in magnitude, however I rarely see NC in the USGS listings. I'm always on the lookout for quakes in the IL, KY, and TN region.

[edit on 1/8/09 by Evasius]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

thank you. would noteworthy be something like 4+?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is the shake map showing the area affected by it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f3302955bb5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Is that part of the New Madrid fault line?
Just askin' know it'd be a big one if it shook.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Im almost positive it is, Im very near that region.

Edit: apparently not. The New Madrid line is farther to the west of where this occured.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Clark Savage Jr.]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wow I lived in NC for 30 years and as far as I know there was never an earthquake. Soooooo either its further proof the Bible is actually a roadmap of the endtimes or the notion that some undercover mysterious not-made-public X-files secret conspirator agency of the government can actually control quakes tornados hurricanes rain clouds wind thunder lightening hail mudslides forest fires and the price of McNuggets© is actually true. You decide.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I live near Franklin NC, very close to Ducktown ( if you call driving an hour on a winding 64 west close), and I felt nothing. It must have been localized , and they are rare here. We manage to avoid tornadoes here because the mountains block a lot of weather, and it is generally very stable here, but I guess earthquakes can happen anywhere.

These are some of the oldest mountains in creation, and no doubt faults lie all around us. Also, as ground water gets sucked out from thousands of wells being dug by people moving here and building, the ground changes down deep. I wonder if disturbing the groundwater aquifers contributes substantially to fault increases?

I will be watching this closely.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
here is another site to check out.it has all the natural and man made diasters world wide.hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
wow very strange indeed....even thought the earth quakes were very small they are very rare for that area...i think mother earth is getting ready to blow!

Just a few days ago here in PA we had an EF2 tornado that touched down for 5 miles, another very strange event that usually never happens here.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by max.is.awake

Yeah this is weird. We had an earthquake up here in MN many years ago. It was small, knocked a few hanging pictures off the wall, but that's it. Just did a quick search and I guess we have had a few around here way back in the day.

PEACE!!!

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The 3.2 earthquake's epicenter appears to be about 5 miles west of Suit, NC within the southwestern corner of North Carolina in Cherokee County, that joins Tennessee and Georgia. It occurred Saturday, August 01, 2009 at 09:38:26 EDST. The location is 35.063 degrees north and 84.292 degrees west with a depth of 2.9 miles. I remember a mild tremor in the North Wilkesboro, NC area back in 1976 that sounded like a blast from dynamiting and a driver reported his van squirreled on HWY 16 going to Jefferson, NC at that time. The New Madrid Fault Line is north of Memphis, TN towards New Madrid, Missouri following the Mississippi River.

new topics

top topics

join