It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Alternative Wonders of The World

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Amazing thread, the world is truly a magnificent and awe-inspiring place of beauty.

I can imagine how early man saw rare landscapes such as these and how their imaginations ran wild with all sorts of stories, legends and myths being told to explain away their existence.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Great post!! All of those sites are wonderful!! It is amazing how much the earth offers!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I wanted to add one.

Devils Slide Utah

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56801e3d188b.jpg[/atsimg]

Why take your kids to an ordinary playground slide at the park, when you can go to the slide named after the Devil himself? Unfortunately for sliders, Devils Slide is not a real slide, but an unusual geologic feature found in northern Utah.

Devils Slide is a classic example of how different rock layers, depending on their composition, are affected by weathering and erosion.
Devils Slide looking from the south.
Gate in the foreground for scale.

The sides of the slide are hard, weather-resistant limestone layers about 40 feet high, 25 feet apart, and several hundred feet in length. In between these two hard layers is a shaly limestone that is slightly different in composition from the outer limestone layers. This middle layer is softer, which makes it more susceptible to weathering and erosion, thus forming the chute of the slide

Local lore has it that when god cast the devil down from Heaven this is where he landed.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Thank you for posting this I have to admit I did not know anything about many of them . Is a great post S&F

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Wow nice ive never heard of half these places nice post.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Thanks for the great images and memories. When I lived in Japan I visited Beppu and the "hells" On my trip to the Grand Canyon we traveled through Monument Valley and made some side trips to the slot canyons featured in the thread. I gotta get to Africa- thee are sooo many natural Wonders there !!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hell's gate, could watch it all night ! Thank you, great stuff! Hope we all see something spectacular this year ! Got to get up first, tho, lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

No problem, I've promised myself that I will go and see a few of these but money is not always permitting lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join