It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carnivore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What about if you don't connect with a static ip address. I have one randomly assigned everytime I connect to the internet. Can they still hunt me if my ip changes up to several times a day?

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by minimi
What about if you don't connect with a static ip address. I have one randomly assigned everytime I connect to the internet. Can they still hunt me if my ip changes up to several times a day?

yes, because your ISP can trace which customer was assigned which ip address at whatever time.

I've worked in the IT feild for just under 10 years now, so i've seen everything from dial up to broadband from the ISP stand point. One time i was required to track down which user was assigned a spesific IP address at a spesific time. Static or Dynamic ips are both easily traced.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
How do we know that the operating systems we use aren't already designed to send out information about our computers and computer usage, whenever it's requested? If this doesn't exist in the software of an OS (operating system), how do we know that it isn't in the actual hardware itself?
Don't all the parts have to come from a manufacturer, even if you build your own computer?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Don't all the parts have to come from a manufacturer, even if you build your own computer?

well i suppose you could buy a ciruit printer and make all your circuits yourself and then build you computer but what would be the point? if you're paraniod enough to care about hardware spying just stay off the net. remember, that is an option. or for those of you who can't live without it, use one machine for all your illegal stuff and use a clean machine to access the internet.

A5H

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You guys are reading into the whole IP thing waaaaaaay to much. You can get programs for yourself to retrieve IPs. You can get the IP of a hosting computer of a website by simply typing 'ping www.xxxx.xxx'. There are also many programs available that let you search geographically for where a IP is coming from. ie. Neotrace express............
Many programs also let you scan across a subnet (The 3rd set of numbers in a IP), this could search pretty much a whole town for open ports. Oh by the way a IP doesn't give you access to a remote computer, the IP is needed to find open ports. Think of a port as a doorway into your computer........
Not many will be open, depending on the services you are using...........
So basically, don't worry, no-one is coming to get you because they know your IP..............

Oh new member btw

Regards,
Ash.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

therefor, it's quite hard to be an active node on the net and hide from a traceroute.

You might want to look up port spanning which can be found on Cisco and other hardware.

Normally, when your packet passes through a router (or switch), it will go in on port A and out on port B.

But if you set up port spanning, your packet will go in on port A and out on port B and ALSO out on port C.

This is how you would normally sniff a connection and can be invisible to the end user.

What you then put on said port C is up to you. A sniffer? A logging server? Another router to send a copy of your packet elsewhere?

Easy to do and not detectable.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
But they don't need to get into your system to get your information; your information is being recorded at your ISP and I'd imagine they'd record your IP along with it, which they can then use later on if necessary, to cross reference with name and location.

I really disagree with this level of privacy invasion, to put it mildly.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Was it really developed by some members of the Cult of TheDead Cow. Also is Carnivore and upgrade from their old MagicLantern or whatever it was called because i know the CDC developed that?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
whats the definition of carnivore in this terms i mean .....??????

top topics

<< 1   >>

join