It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Craig Vetner - Creating artificial life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This was back in Oct 2007 so who knows what he has created by now. I did read he was working with Exxon on algae to replace fuel, which is a good use of his technology but he seems incredibly naieve if he thinks the military aren't going to abuse his science.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I am creating artificial life, declares US gene pioneer

The new life form will depend for its ability to replicate itself and metabolise on the molecular machinery of the cell into which it has been injected, and in that sense it will not be a wholly synthetic life form. However, its DNA will be artificial, and it is the DNA that controls the cell and is credited with being the building block of life.

Mr Venter said he had carried out an ethical review before completing the experiment. "We feel that this is good science," he said. He has further heightened the controversy surrounding his potential breakthrough by applying for a patent for the synthetic bacterium.

He said Mr Venter was creating a "chassis on which you could build almost anything. It could be a contribution to humanity such as new drugs or a huge threat to humanity such as bio-weapons".

hmmmm i wonder which way it will go - good of the people or good for TPTB

new topics

join