It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep down, do religious people put their family above God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I personally think so, though I can't speak for all religious people. But I think most religious people deep down care more about their family and friends than about God and their religion, if they were really put to the test.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I dunno, although I really feel for the mother who called the police when her teenage son killed a man in a drunken, cowardly rage in the UK very recently.

Her husband clearly put his love for his son above everything else by washing the boy and putting his clothes in the washing machine before the police could get there.

As he was led away by police, the boy reportedly said to his mother ' And I love you too, mum', which the news report said was sarcastic response to his mother's 'betrayal'.

We often like to believe we'd behave like that mother in similar circumstances. We like to believe we'd 'do the right thing'. But how many of us would?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
I dunno, although I really feel for the mother who called the police when her teenage son killed a man in a drunken, cowardly rage in the UK very recently.

Her husband clearly put his love for his son above everything else by washing the boy and putting his clothes in the washing machine before the police could get there.

As he was led away by police, the boy reportedly said to his mother ' And I love you too, mum', which the news report said was sarcastic response to his mother's 'betrayal'.

We often like to believe we'd behave like that mother in similar circumstances. We like to believe we'd 'do the right thing'. But how many of us would?

God what a dilemma. I wouldn't protect him if I lived in a country that didn't have the death penalty, but if I lived in America I would because I'm afraid he would be put to death or in prison forever.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
I personally think so, though I can't speak for all religious people. But I think most religious people deep down care more about their family and friends than about God and their religion, if they were really put to the test.

You think more often about your family, if you have a good one, but ask yourself this question: What do you do when you lose your family? God will always be there no matter what, whereas there will come a time when your family ceases to exist in this existence. I myself am grateful in my belief that God gave me a great family, and I thank my lucky stars everyday for such.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

It was in UK. I don't think she sat around thinking about it . . just did it. Inherent morality, sense of right from wrong. She knew her son was involved in the death. She was coming home from shopping and saw the police at the scene. The murdered man was a neighbour, although the report didn't say if she knew the murdered man personally.

The report said her husband and son tried to prevent her from calling the police, but she did it anyway. She'll need her God to help her through what lies ahead, for a woman so basically good would also (imo) be capable of deep love for her own son. She'll suffer a lot.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I feel that God (no matter what religion) wants us to care about all people. Which it seems we are unable to do that. Most people, including myself at times, only care about what happens to them and there families. And then we get into these programs like save the earth. How the hell are we going to save the earth, when we can't even save our own kind?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by billyg

You are so right.

We should start saving the world by looking after our own families, our neighbours, our countrymen and then looking at wider issues.

A lot of people are happy to donate to a good cause to ease their conscience, while ignoring the needs of others closer to them.

Which reminds me of something I really can't understand - why do countries send aid to other countries when so many of their own people are suffering?

Back to the point - I think that it is natural to put your family first, and it takes huge faith and strength to do otherwise - eg, when God commanded Abraham to sacrifice his beloved son, and Abraham was prepared to do it when God stopped him - actually, that always struck me as a mean thing to do (God putting Abraham in the position, I mean).

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

This is alittle off Topic but I kinda stole a few words from George Carlin in this video from my last post. 1:15-1:50 is what I'm talking about in my last post. If you haven't seen it yet its a great video in general to make you think.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 1-8-2009 by billyg]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Aren't you a bad Christian if you put your family before God? The example of Abraham is one that has been mentioned, he was ordered by God to sacrifice Isaac. I know that some Christians read this slightly differently, but I see it as an indication that God wants us to put him above everyone, even our own family.

I think your point is valid though, most 'liberal' (in a theological sense) Christians pick and choose what parts of the Bible to follow, and cast their own interpretations onto things they disagree with.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by harpsounds]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
After I made my conversion to absolute non-belief, one of my uncles has refused to talk to me. Some other family members treat me like a potential criminal, in spite of their apparent lower moral fiber.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'd say that part of loving God is loving your family. Part of loving God is helping the unfortunate, etc. It isn't a hierarchy with God on the top. Love of God is all-encompassing, and loving your family is included in that.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
There are lessons to be learned in the bible. If you proclaim christianity or Judaism, you should undoubtedly put God before your family. Take the Ten Commandments for instance. Jesus summed these commandments into two categories known as the "Great Command" and the "Golden Rule". Love God and Love Your Neighbor. Love God, comes before Love Your Neighbor. Here is a passage that sums it up the best.

Matthew 10
34: "Do not think I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35: For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law'; 36: and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.' 37: He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38: And he who does not take his cross and follows after Me is not worthy of Me. 39: He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

So there you have it. Division of the family is a test. Do you really love God more than your family? That's something you may need to assess before saying "yes". My own mother called me retarded when my wife and I told her we weren't celebrating christmas anymore due to it's past association with paganism. It's a holiday that holds the traditions of men before God and follows pagan traditions with christian twists in them. We didn't speak for months and finally my mother apologized. We were prepared to wipe our hands clean of what happened due to our love of God.

If you're forced to take a mark... say a computer rfid chip in your hand or forehead in times of tribulation or your child would be shot in the head in front of you for denying the mark, would you take it and allow the child to live or deny it and allow the child to die? It's the ultimate test of faith.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
wow awesome question.
myself, i'd never turn a family member in. If they were responsible for a horrific deed, for some weird reason, i'd almost rather do them in myself then turn them over to the authorites where their reasons and cries for mercy would fall on deaf ears.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

hello

I am a Christian and a father of a 7 month old boy

He went to stay away with my mum this weekend. Both my wife and I know that God gave us this gift and that he can take it way at any time. likewise he can take Heather, my wife, at any time

Day to Day i spend more time with my wife and child but ultimately i know that God comes before them both, my wife knows this and i know that this is true with my wife.

If i, or we, lost any part of our little unit; we would grieve, but ultimately we would try to thank God for what we had and trust in the knowledge that we would see each other another day.

we try to make decisions that we understand is NOT against Gods word, we fail at times and are succesful at others, but we know that any thing that we do in mistake, but with the right heart, Jesus will and already has forgiven us.

all the best

David

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Not a chance...I adore my wife...always will...but she will never be above my goddess and I will never be above hers

That's just us though

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

You could also blame church leaders for that kind of thinking.

Things like seriously putting relationships below faith and attaining higher spiritual attainment or even salvation itself can be a very sensitive topic indeed.

You cannot serve Two Gods, sounds familiar??

[edit on 2-8-2009 by ahnggk]

new topics

top topics

join