It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe the best ATS idea ever.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Fist off, I would like to say if this is in the wrong category, may a mod please move it to the specific one? i couldn't find one fit for it. Thank you.

What i am thinking, is on every thread have a audio voice button, that reads that part, or with option the whole page if your interested in comments, in a decent working, and understandable voice. I myself am doing quite a few things at once on the computer, and it would be nice to click play and do what i am doing. Sometimes i even find myself skipping interesting threads because of lack of time. i usually read them later, but the sooner the better i guess!

-Gandhi

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Good idea, but I think it's a really complicated to do this....

I don't know shot about programming and this kind of stuff, but I can tell you it's not easy.....

See, when you write a comment on Youtube, you can read your comment with the voiceclip before posting it, but even theirs, one of the biggest websites, can't even make it work good....

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I bet you could find software, maybe even free, that you could load on your computer to do this for you. Anyway it is a great idea and I flagged you for it.

[edit on 8/1/2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
what about getting famous people to do voices. World leaders etc from throughout history. that would be cool.

imagine adolf hitler reading a post about the NWO!!

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

LMAO, you would put all the paranoids on here running to the looney bin if you had Hitler reading to them about the NWO.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I call dibs on james earl jones.

Look in to your accessibility option in xp and vista...you can make it read for you.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
it is extreamly easy to set up a program to do this. i can do it myself lol. writing this is probably harder than doing it. it takes no more than 10 minutes to set it up to go. then theres the messed up waiting for nothing time, which most web sites seem to be into. hopefully not ATS!

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
How about something more basic, but necessary:

An easy way to see if people have responded to your post, and if so, a hyperlink to the position in the thread where those replies are?

Other web forums have that, or they nest the threads so it's easier to see who is responding to whom.

I hate hunting around the thread over and over...looking to see if anyone responded.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
You can do this for sure.

I used to use IRC back in the day. I used to use "Mirc" with "text aloud" or "text ole" to read out the user text. We are going back almost 15 years here.

Say a user, "dumbo" said "I want to eat your brains!"

Text ole used to say:

"User Dumbo says I want to eat your brains!"

You would have to parse the user and comment from all the other stuff on the site. Maybe it could work clientside... Maybe search for "forum reader" or something along those lines and set it up locally.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Atlantican]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Not a bad idea....but they should get the same voice over that Stephen Hawking has in his computerized didgery doo.

That robotic monotone voice would be perfect for most of the ATS posts, and it would have a futuristic feel, as if John Teeter himself was narrating to us.

Either the Hawking voice......or Bobcat Goldthwait. Anything else would be a step backward.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
I call dibs on james earl jones.

Look in to your accessibility option in xp and vista...you can make it read for you

Sigh....

People your computer is already set up to read text.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
If you use Firefox, and can't be bothered mucking about with Windows there is an add-on called Fire Vox that can do this.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
what about getting famous people to do voices. World leaders etc from throughout history. that would be cool.

imagine adolf hitler reading a post about the NWO!!

Vote 1 Eric Cartman for thread reading!

Vot 2 Ren & Stimpy

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Sam60]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Yes folks, your computer can already do this for you and there is No need for ATS to muck up their web page with such added technology. ATS helps provide content, and it is up to you to decide how to access it. Windows, Mac, and Linux all have text to speech options and with a variety of "voices" too. If that isn't good enough for you, don't worry.... we are working on a pill you can take that will impart all ATS knowledge in a few minutes time. Tin Foil Hat not included.

As for the poster who questioned about how to tell if anyone has responded to a thread of theirs... That is where myATS comes in. Just click it and look to the right hand side of the page, (the Top 50 Threads with recent activity in which you have participated)

new topics

top topics

join