It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dizzy while meditating ~ Suggestions Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I have been trying to meditate but I can't do it for very long. I close my eyes relax, and breath slowly. I get the whole flashing of things in front of my eyes and I relax. When I go further than that I get incredibly dizzy and feel like vomiting. It happens the moment I intend to go deeper into relaxation. I feel my mind slip into a sinking spin where it goes nearly silent and black, but the feeling of vomiting takes hold and I have to go out and get some fresh air.

Anyone that meditates that can give me some advice on how to get to that next level I would appreciate it. Is that feeling of vomiting normal?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Don't do this anymore. Obviously this is not for you. Find another means to attain what you are seeking. Meditation isn't the be all. Find another way to connect. Um......how about gardening? It works for my wife. Do something "menial" or repetitive that is easy. I'm not trying to be funny here. I used to work digging holes. I loved digging holes and shoveling the dirt into a wheelbarrow and move the dirt to some other place. Yay I got paid for it, too. People used to remark that nobody could dig a hole like I could dig. Not kidding. When I dug and moved dirt I had wonderful thoughts and experiences. It was like a spirtual thing to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
I have been trying to meditate but I can't do it for very long. I close my eyes relax, and breath slowly. I get the whole flashing of things in front of my eyes and I relax. When I go further than that I get incredibly dizzy and feel like vomiting. It happens the moment I intend to go deeper into relaxation. I feel my mind slip into a sinking spin where it goes nearly silent and black, but the feeling of vomiting takes hold and I have to go out and get some fresh air.

Anyone that meditates that can give me some advice on how to get to that next level I would appreciate it. Is that feeling of vomiting normal?

well, in my humble opinion you are moving a little too fast. transition into the subtle bodies while conscious and aware will be quite a shock as the vibrational differences (among others) become very apparent.

i would suggest slowing down just a tad. perhaps make a guided meditation tape so that way the transition follows a roadmap so to speak. be patient, stay alert, and listen for your directions. a guided session can be very productive.

these effects will wear over time. you have to acclimate yourself to everything and once you do, all will be well.

cheers,
AA

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
No. It is not normal to experience nausea when meditating.
I have to wonder about your breathing - or lack of breathing. I know that when I meditate my breaths can become very shallow and almost imperceptible. There have been times when I ended up short of breath.

I am wondering if this is what is causing your nausea if you are somehow slowing down your breathing too much or too fast.

You should always be aware of what is going on and adjust accordingly.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thank you for the feedback. I guess it could be breathing, I haven't practiced enough really but I can take myself really deep in a moment. My breathing has become very shallow when meditating so maybe that is part of it. Until I get the breathing part down maybe I should just stick to relaxing activities versus deep meditation.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

Hello, Dear One!!

I will tell You how I meditate and then maybe You can give that a try. It is nothing fancy except for one factor that may indeed help You very much.

I first sit in a half Lotus position, the full hurts my ankle to badly, and I make sure that my posture is good and straight and I either have my hands palms down on my knees or resting on one another palms up in my lap.

The one thing I do differently then you is the one thing that might be the key to abstaining your nausea: I meditate with my eyes open.

It's very simple, really. Let your gaze fall on the ground about 3 to 4 feet in front of you. If you get sleepy, raise your gaze closer to the horizon. If your mind gets too distracted and busy, let your gaze fall back toward the ground. It's really good technique and you can still get as deep as you like. Myself, I like to stay very present and BEcome intrinsically more aware of my inside and outside environment in the moment. If the mind is busy in other time zones I just focus on my Out breath and that usually brings me right back here where I belong.

I hope this helps. It might. It might not. Can't disregard anything until you've tried everything.

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

P.S. Star and Flag for you, Dear One!

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by redwoodjedi

I wasn't aware that you can meditate with your eyes open. Thanks for that. I'll have to give that a try before throwing in the towel.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I believe the ultimate goal of meditation is to meditate with your eyes open.
Meditation is not supposed to be a separate moment from everything else.
Meditation is supposed to blend with everything else.
The final goal of meditation is to meditate constantly while doing everything else.

Meditating only with closed eyes would trick your mind in thinking that you could only get into that state with specific conditions, which is not true at all. You should be able to be in peace in every single situation.

top topics

join