It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems win approval of health bill in committee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Source

WASHINGTON – In a triumph for President Barack Obama, Democrats narrowly pushed sweeping health care legislation through a key congressional committee Friday night and cleared the way for a September showdown in the House.

The main expansion of coverage would not come until 2013 — after the next presidential election. Even so, the political stakes are enormous for Obama and the Democrats as they strive to pass legislation that has proven elusive for years. Republicans are overwhelmingly opposed to the approach they chose, and outside groups on both sides of the issue arranged a heavy dose of television advertising over August.

If this health care reform fails, Obama can kiss his political career good bye and it'll definitely drag the democratic party down with it. So supporters from each party, start crossing your fingers. (definitely gonna be interesting to watch)

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well this aught to be fun. The congressmen and senators are taking a bunch of heat right now for not listening to their constituents. If this health care reform bill goes through it is going to make huge waves and not of the good kind.

We will see what happens though.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
How anybody can NOT want affordable health insurance that cannot be refused because of pre-existing conditions or age or general health or poverty, and that will not change if the insured person is laid off or changes jobs, is way beyond me.

Apparently many people are happy with insurance premiums that go up and up with no end in sight, rapidly escalating health care costs, policies that don't cover most serious illnesses, insurance that many employers can't afford to give to their employees, and coverage that ends when the insured becomes unemployed or changes jobs, also beats me.

But here on ATS you find a lot of folks who are entirely satisfied with the status quo.

Go figure.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just goes to show you, that even if people right here don't like the elites at all, doesn't mean that most of them are immune from being brainwashed by the elites, and buying into the free market capitalism jargon too much.

First, there's no such thing like "free" market, the first rich elites will try to prevent the competition from becoming a threat to them, in essence the market is actually self regulated rather than free.

Secondly, since when ATSers listen to elite's jargon anyway? Free market capitalism is a political jargon, it's not gonna benefit the middle class, what it does is granting protection in favor for the ruling economic class, because then they gotta to control the nation's resources, and others won't have the capital to challenge them (since automatically they control the capital too). You need money to earn money after all.

I don't know whether this health care reform will work or not, but some definitely denounce them for the wrong reason.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Right... because Bill Clintons failure at health care reform is what dragged his political career down.

Actually no... he had to cheat on his wife and still his political career is more sound than some.

If this new stint in "universal health care" fails I don't see it ruining anyones career, nor do I see it ruining the Democratic Party.

It will just wither back into obscurity as did the last health care reform bill.

I for one wouldn't mind it if we had health care reform, but in some ways I don't think we need the government to fund all health care.

We'll see... but like I said, I doubt Obama, the first black president and "new savior" of this country will ruin his political career should health care reform fail.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I believe most of the horror stories about this national health care system bill are being spread by the insurance industry just to kill this health care bill.

Check this site out and read it.
www.reddit.com...

My only fear about a national health care system is that they will do away with the VA health care system i go to.
I like my doctors from UCLA that work at the VA hospital i go to.

The other fear i have is that the system will be over run by illegals wanting free health care while the rest of us taxpayer pay the bill.

All illegals should have to BUY there own health care insurance no mater what they make in income.
Then if they go to the hospital and have no insurance deport them.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Regardless, after taking everything into consideration, I believe I have enough information to come to a decision. The legislation should NOT pass.

new topics

top topics

join