It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe Satan is real?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I see from the replies that many people regard the belief in satan as an ignorant superstition that surely no modern, learned person would be silly enough to entertain.

Whether you believe in satan or not, I offer, for your consideration, the Rituale Romanum... also known as the Exorcism Rite.
Dating back to the 16th century Catholic Church, it was used even then as a last resort... when the priests had ruled out 'psychological' causes for a suspected 'possession'. It's hard NOT to believe in something supernatural (and evil) when the suspected possessed person is eloquently speaking an ancient language they'd never even heard of before, or babbling gibberish for 20 minutes, which when recorded and played backwards reveals the person spouting off a long series of prayers. The priests believe that the saying of the prayers backwards (in this case, quite literally) is done by the demon\evil spirit to mock Christ.
These phenomena, and much more, have been documented.

Here's the exorcism ritual, word-for-word, and here's hoping none of us ever need it.

Hear therefore and fear, O Satan, enemy of the faith, foe to the human race, producer of death, thief of life, destroyer of justice, root of evils, kindler of vices, seducer of men, betrayer of nations, inciter of envy, origin of avarice, cause of discord, procurer of sorrows. Why dost thou stand and resist, when thou knowest that Christ the Lord will destroy thy strength? Fear Him who was immolated in Isaac, sold in Joseph, slain in the lamb, crucified in man, and then was triumphant over hell. It is hard for thee to wish to resist. It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. Because the more slowly thou go out, the more the punishment against thee increases, since thou despises not men but Him who is Lord of the quick and the dead, who shall come to judge the quick and the dead, and the world by fire.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Satan and demons, I believe, are just made by the church to scare people doing wrong things to turn around and start being good. Along with that, I feel like the church is just a huge organization trying to collect money from its followers. I'm a confirmed Catholic and go to church about once a month, and still believe this. The bible has good teachings, the preacher teaches some things that could be life lessons, which is the reason I go.

What I do believe in is evil spirits, bad paranormal events that you just can't explain. I won't say they are ghosts or demons, because you can't prove what it is being evil.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I don't believe in Satan and I find it frightening that some do

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. I do believe in Satan.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
To quote the movie "Constantine" you should believe in the devil because he believes in you. The Devil or whatever you want to call him is very real wether you believe it or not. Just because you cant see it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I kinda feel sorry for the atheists and scientology morons who have gone way off the deepend, forgive them father for they know not what they do! People with those beliefs like that have been led astray and will later come unto christ or be cast down with the devil its as simple as that.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Satan is only a weak mans excuse for his troubles.

Sure there are evil forces in the world, evil spirits, evil entities, evil people. But as far as "Satan" with the fire and the cruelty and what not, that's just a scare tactic.

~Keeper

So theres evil forces, evil spirits, evil entities.... but satans just a scare tactic?
your joking right?

So where exactly do these evil spirts come from? Willie Wonkas chocolate factory?

But... Satan is the master of deception so these type of answers arent that surprising.
[edit on 24-10-2009 by Dark Passenger]

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Dark Passenger]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Yes, I think Lucifer/Satan is real.

Im not religious.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Satan is very real (IMO).

But not the supernatural being who is a rival to God that many people make him out to be.

I understand Satan as a psychological archetype that has been externalized to protect us from going insane with the contradictions in our mind. Basically it allows us to live with ourselves when we do something wrong by allowing us to blame an external entity for our misdeed.

The assertion that Satan is psychological in no way makes it less 'real', nor does it distract from the Bible message in relation to Satan. In fact it makes Satan more 'real', and more dangerous, than some supernatural rival being to God. It actually helps make the Bible make sense.

For those who would claim atheism, no God, therefore no Satan, I would simply say that Satan is just a term given by the religious to the archetype. You may not wish to use the name Satan and that is fine. There are other names for it, but you do possess it and at times use it to protect your sanity.

Satan is just part of being human.

So yes, Virginia, there is a Satan.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
if you believe in god, you must believe in satan. unless of course satan is your god.

and if god is the ultimate manifestation of a benevolence, then, conversely, satan is the ultimate manifestation of malevolence.

simple duality.

[edit on 10/25/2009 by prototism]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Satan is as real as you believe in it. And he is not that bad as the churches say. He was an Angel, but he wanted to be God (sounds like a normal man), and he is the justice for bad violent people - as long as i am a good guy, i don't fear him.

I also don't fear the "judgement day" as so many people do. If you are fine, lovely and nice, you don't need to hide....so why people start crying when thinking about the "judgement day", after that, the world is much a better place.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Its very amusing (and disturbing) to read postings which adamantly claim the validity of a biblical or mythological character as if said poster has actually met the character, had coffee or tea with said character, discussed purposed objectives, and parted ways to come on here and post their undeniable truth of the existence of the character!! Little bit of advice for the fanatics of false characters in an ancient book--learn the language from which this book was originally written from, and discover the actual truth of it all. Jeez, its not rocket science. Or you can believe in fairy tales.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
To better understand this question and the answer it might be wise to start at the beginning and ask your self, are you real?

Row, row, row your boat, gently down a stream
merrily, merrily, merilly, merilly life is but a dream

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
To better understand this question and the answer it might be wise to start at the beginning and ask your self, are you real?

so essentially, satan is only as "real" as we are?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I had to edit for spelling and re-direct my apologies. I think (as others have stated) the concept of Satan/Hell is there as mind control. Nothing more than that. Sorry I shortned the post

[edit on 25-10-2009 by PeterGriffin]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Satan may be as real as you need him to be.

Toxic dark energies are birthed through dualistic thinking some people
get all wrapped up and as they unwind themselves think this is enlightenment
and settle down somewhere in a comfort zone !

Restrictive thoughts,substance abuse,deep emotional traumas ! wrapped up
so tight ! my God ! The pain field is real but it is easier to escape then most imagine. Forgive your self ! Love yourself ! Grow your consciousness ! !

Practice limiting judgment !

Satan is the fly buzzing around my head ! HaHa !

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

pplrnuts I find I find it amusing (and sad) that people like you question something like the bible. It's the word of GOD it was written by God through human hands long ago and it doesnt matter what language it was originally written in the message is still the same.
Here's something to think about. Believe it or not you actually knew Jesus Christ and God the Father and just about everyone else in heaven before we came to earth, you just dont remember cause God put a "veil" over your eyes so you dont. Now why did do this I'm not sure and why dont you ask him since he's the one that did it. There is a world out there that you obviously know nothing about and you apparently not ready for the truth. I'm thinking you probably wouldnt know the truth if it bit you on the ass.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by prototism

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

so essentially, satan is only as "real" as we are?

Basically yes, since reality is conceptualized and solely based on individual and shared perspectives.

The temporal nature of our earthly manifest existence suggests just that, that it is temporary. A fleeting existence is not truly an existence as it does not exist in perpituity.

We only imagine what is real, and manifest that as a temporary reality.

Lucifer, aka Satan is just an extension of what is imagined.

People simply conceptualize things in order to frame a reality that is neither real nor permanent.

Even so they are and remain cognizant of the underlying temporal nature of their existence and look for ways to give a broader deeper and more significant and lasting meaning to it.

Thus ideals like G-d and Lucifer are born who even though fictitous and even though not manifest in a temporal physical form are considered to be eternal and thus create an eternal meaning in the mind of the beholder that gives their own temporal existence an eternal meaning by extension.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Sure looks real to me...

[edit on 25-10-2009 by IamLael]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't believe in sky fairies, all religions and superstitions are a complete load of unproven nonsense. Every culture has to have a bogeyman to keep people scared so they can be easily manipulated.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'd say those that dont believe in God and the devil are those that are easily manipulated and deceived for that matter. I've said it before, people that dont believe in such things will have the shock of their life when it is time for the second coming of Christ, if they live that long. Those that dont will receive their shock when they die and are told they were wrong and told the truth.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by prototism
if you believe in god, you must believe in satan. unless of course satan is your god.

and if god is the ultimate manifestation of a benevolence, then, conversely, satan is the ultimate manifestation of malevolence.

simple duality.

Careful, an idea like that would have gotten you burned at the stake only a few hundred years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join