It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Insane Discoveries That Science Can't Explain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm going to give you the first Discovery, the rest read it from the official Website. Funny author is well.

1: The Voynich Manuscript
The Mystery:

The Voynich manuscript is an ancient book that has thwarted all attempts at deciphering its contents. And it's not like some idiot just scribbled a bunch of nonsense on paper and went, "Figure THIS out, #wads." It is actually an organized book with a consistent script, discernible organization and detailed illustrations.

It appears to be a real language--just one that nobody has seen before. And it really does appear to mean something. But nobody knows what. There is not even a consensus on who wrote it, or even when it was written. And we sure as # don't know why.

Why Can't They Solve It?

Could you? Look at this #:

Don't even try. Expert military code-breakers, cryptographers, mathematicians, linguists, people who get paid to find and decipher patterns, have all been left unable to decipher a single word.

As you can imagine, proposed solutions have been all over the board, from reasonable to completely clown#. Some say it's an unbreakable code that requires a key to solve. Some say it's a hoax, and a damned fine one if we do say ourselves. Some say it's glossolalia
, which is the fine art of speaking or writing something you don't understand but that is being channeled to you by God or aliens or whatever
(note that the word was chosen specifically to make you sound retarded when saying it).

2: The Antikythera Mechanism
3: The Baigong Pipes
4: The Giant Stone Balls of Costa Rica
5: The Baghdad Batteries
6: The Bloop

www.cracked.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Cracked Magazine as a News Source! I love it!

Ah, the good old Voynich Manuscript presumably penned by Roger Bacon (although more likely it would have been penned by the late 16th century Francis Bacon and Johannes Marcus Marci simply named the wrong personage in his retelling of the origins to Athanasius Kircher...although this would mean that the most conservative datings for the age of the text would be off approximately 50 years). Brings back good memories working relentlessly to find a solution that might crack it (as well as John Dee's Liber Loagaeth which also remains enigmatically unexplained/deciphered).

There have been many claims that it has been deciphered, but none of them to the satisfaction of the entire community.

Some believe that it utilized a rotating cipher every page, while others believed that it utilized the encryption methods found in the Steganographia of Johannes Trithemius which still cannot be broken by cryptographic analysis without knowing the key, while others believe that it was a hoax for the purpose of monetary gain by the author (especially if the author was actually Edward Kelley).

Personally, I believe it to be legitimate being that many of the flora represented in the Voynich Manuscript were unknown to Europe at the time that it was penned but were discovered in the Americas a few year prior. If it were an alchemical or botanical text of findings in the New World it might explain the reasons for using a cipher and why the text was considered so valuable by nobility of the 16th century.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

that's interesting thanks for sharing...

also, NASA doesnt know how to wash clothes in space, if you can figure that one out you could make a lot of money

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Star and flag for this one

Good job at finding these. They certainly are mysterious (not to mention humorous) and I hadnt heard of any of them (apart from the bloop) before.

[edit on 31/7/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I remember those six things "science can't explain" from a year ago when i was surfing the net. That site was hilarious!
the title they were under is kinda misleading though; these are things that need explanation from historians, not scientist (except for maybe the last one).
They are, in my opinion, proof that most of our ancient history is either lost or hidden from us.

heck, i bet there are things in those history books inside the vatican or private libraries that we are not suppose to know about. Maybe aliens? a high-tech society from the past? a time traveler?
who knows, but one can make a conspiracy out of those items.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
More info on the bloop

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The manuscript to me is seriously interesting! and i also think it was bacon.The NSA have a download about it www.nsa.gov... I've got a pdf version of the manuscript but the quality isn't the best.I think im going to buy it.Incase anyone wants it i just uploaded the pdf,like i said not good quality so best to buy it with better quality.I just wanted to give it a glance hence downloaded it a while back. www.sendspace.com...

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Your immense knowledge blinds me any who what do you think of glossolalia. Anyone who has ever tried THC would know things which you wouldn't be able to describe in English, so basically it is there but no freaking way of recording it and putting it into use.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The Voynitch Manuscript is just a code - a tough one. It doesn't have to be "glossolalia" (it woul probably more properly be called glossographia, since it was written, not spoken). It could just be that the coder was smarter than the would-be decoders.

The Antikythera Mechanism isn't much of a mystery, either. It's a highly advanced piece of equiment used to calculate planetary positions (or something). It's about as complex as clockwork made hundreds of years later, which was the mystery. It wasn't known that the ancients could devise such intricate mechanisms. Well, now we know they could do it.

I like those balls in Costa Rica. Seems like a lot of trouble to carve out spheres from volcanic rock, and just leave them there. Wonder what's up with that...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
The Voynitch Manuscript is just a code - a tough one. It doesn't have to be "glossolalia" (it woul probably more properly be called glossographia, since it was written, not spoken). It could just be that the coder was smarter than the would-be decoders.

The Antikythera Mechanism isn't much of a mystery, either. It's a highly advanced piece of equiment used to calculate planetary positions (or something). It's about as complex as clockwork made hundreds of years later, which was the mystery. It wasn't known that the ancients could devise such intricate mechanisms. Well, now we know they could do it.

I like those balls in Costa Rica. Seems like a lot of trouble to carve out spheres from volcanic rock, and just leave them there. Wonder what's up with that...

We have powerful computers to assist us these days, if it was a coder we should have been able to crack it.

The Antikythera Mechanism changes the whole history of mankind but the historians, geologist and other crackpots are not letting it. If they were able to make such machine then how advanced do you suppose ancient civilization really were?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
There is a thread on this, maybe two months old. I put up a bit of info on the Voynich MS in it - that crazy book made me waste a weekend trying to find out all I could about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Found it.

[edit on 7/31/2009 by TheLoony]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

hahaha I'm a month behind you guys ohhh Jesus. I need a sigie.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
VOYNICH MANUSCRIPT

Written in Central Europe at the end of the 15th or during the 16th century, the origin, language, and date of the Voynich Manuscript—named after the Polish-American antiquarian bookseller, Wilfrid M. Voynich, who acquired it in 1912—are still being debated as vigorously as its puzzling drawings and undeciphered text. Described as a magical or scientific text, nearly every page contains botanical, figurative, and scientific drawings of a provincial but lively character, drawn in ink with vibrant washes in various shades of green, brown, yellow, blue, and red.

Based on the subject matter of the drawings, the contents of the manuscript falls into six sections: 1) botanicals containing drawings of 113 unidentified plant species; 2) astronomical and astrological drawings including astral charts with radiating circles, suns and moons, Zodiac symbols such as fish (Pisces), a bull (Taurus), and an archer (Sagittarius), nude females emerging from pipes or chimneys, and courtly figures; 3) a biological section containing a myriad of drawings of miniature female nudes, most with swelled abdomens, immersed or wading in fluids and oddly interacting with interconnecting tubes and capsules; 4) an elaborate array of nine cosmological medallions, many drawn across several folded folios and depicting possible geographical forms; 5) pharmaceutical drawings of over 100 different species of medicinal herbs and roots portrayed with jars or vessels in red, blue, or green, and 6) continuous pages of text, possibly recipes, with star-like flowers marking each entry in the margins.

History of the Collection

Like its contents, the history of ownership of the Voynich manuscript is contested and filled with some gaps. The codex belonged to Emperor Rudolph II of Germany (Holy Roman Emperor, 1576-1612), who purchased it for 600 gold ducats and believed that it was the work of Roger Bacon. It is very likely that Emperor Rudolph acquired the manuscript from the English astrologer John Dee (1527-1608). Dee apparently owned the manuscript along with a number of other Roger Bacon manuscripts. In addition, Dee stated that he had 630 ducats in October 1586, and his son noted that Dee, while in Bohemia, owned "a booke...containing nothing butt Hieroglyphicks, which booke his father bestowed much time upon: but I could not heare that hee could make it out." Emperor Rudolph seems to have given the manuscript to Jacobus Horcicky de Tepenecz (d. 1622), an exchange based on the inscription visible only with ultraviolet light on folio 1r which reads: "Jacobi de Tepenecz." Johannes Marcus Marci of Cronland presented the book to Athanasius Kircher (1601-1680) in 1666. In 1912, Wilfred M. Voynich purchased the manuscript from the Jesuit College at Frascati near Rome. In 1969, the codex was given to the Beinecke Library by H. P. Kraus, who had purchased it from the estate of Ethel Voynich, Wilfrid Voynich's widow.

On the link click on see images to see each page of the Voynich Manuscript. They say it was just English astrologer John Dee ripped off Emperor Rudolph II of Germany with a fake and the book is persumed to be fictional language and pictures.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Why does the nsa have a downloadable version of it? That seems odd to me...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
S & F

The Giant Stone Balls of Costa Rica. It's really a shame that most of their original locations have been lost to time. I've speculated that they were once laid out in a star or constellation pattern but that we will never know.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Kryptos Wikipedia

CIA Kryptos Flash Presentation

CIA KRYPTOS Flash Movie Text

Try to figure this one out its located in front of the CIA headquarters and they have it locked up behind a fence but they do have a virtual video for people to try and decipher it.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgnosticX
Why does the nsa have a downloadable version of it? That seems odd to me...

Because the Cryptology Department at the NSA was one of the first groups to take up a genuine attempt to decipher the Voynich Manuscript as an unofficial side-project. Eventually the Cryptology Department at the CIA took up deciphering as an unofficial side-project as well, trying to decipher it before the NSA did. Neither were successful and after three decades joined together with the Guy project (I forget his first name, but his online name back in the 1980s was FrogGuy because he was French). Most of the information about the Voynich Manuscript that you find online today is from the Voynich Project headed by Guy.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ownification
We have powerful computers to assist us these days, if it was a coder we should have been able to crack it.

There are cryptology methods that were available in the 15th century that still defy cryptographic analysis, even with the use of Super Computers. The ciphers of Johannes Trithemius are but one example. I received a Cease & Desist letter shortly after 9/11 from the FBI to remove his 15th century text from my website because it was deemed a threat to National Security.

As mentioned before, the tables in Dr. John Dee's Loagaeth are still undecipherable even by computer assisted cryptographic analysis.

There are many simple cipher methods one could devise that would be undecipherable by any computer using nothing more than a particular book (assuming you didn't use any spaces in your text).

The problem with all of these methods, and most likely the case with the Voynich Manuscript, is that without knowledge of the key or method that was used as the cipher seed, it can defy brute force decryption.

To add to the complexity, the Elizabethans, thanks to Dr. John Dee's mathematical genius, utilized far more complex cipher methods that would change the cipher seed every page or every column, unlike the Hebrew ciphers (like Atbash and Temurah) that were in use at that same time by Kabbalists which remained static through a text and fairly easy to decrypt (with the exception of Notarikon which even Kabbalists generally can't decipher without having a context in which to analize the text).

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AgnosticX

NSA is all about code-breaking. It isn't surprising that their website has downloadable examples of 'famous' ciphers.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Can you give me the link to your website. I'm still puzzled by this research needed, research mode [on]ON[/on]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join