It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US tourists 'being held in Iran'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

US tourists 'being held in Iran'

news.bbc.co.uk

Washington has said it is checking reports that three US tourists were detained by Iranians while hiking along the northern Iraqi border.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hiking in Iraq with how the country still is is either someone aiming for a Darwin award or its for some other reason which I have my ideas about.

Were they really close to the Iran border or the wrong side of it?

Are you guys/girls thinking the same as me on this one?
That it wasn't tourists?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm thinking that they weren't your average run of the mill tourists anyway! I'd have liked a peek into their backpacks at the very least!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If True then maybe the Darwin award is appropriate in this case. Who would have thought that Iraq had a functioning tourist resort?

Same Source

A senior security official in the Iraqi city of Suleymaniyeh, Qadr Hamajan, told Reuters news agency that the Americans were among a group of four tourists had arrived there on Wednesday.

Three of them set off the following day for the tourist resort of Ahmad Awa, about 150km (93 miles) to the east and near the Iranian border, he said.

Edit to add Resort link.

Is this place for real?

Resort Link

[edit on 31-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tangotemper

I can't say I've heard of Iraq being a known place to go for hiking.
My guess is a failed attempt at entering Iran by undercover military personnel.

But what would be the reason behind there trying to get in?
Obviously not for picking daisies.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If True then maybe the Darwin award is appropriate in this case. Who would have thought that Iraq had a functioning tourist resort?

I certainly didn't know it was the place to go for a vacation this year.
Didn't something similar happen like this but the other way around?
Going back when just before the Iraq war?

[edit on 31/7/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I wouldn't be caught dead in this area of the world at this time. Well, maybe I would be caught dead, if I was dumb enough to wander into that area. Oh, yeah. Hikers wander across the border of Iran. Oh, yeah. Reporters wander across the border of North Korea. Dumbbutts or on an intelligence mission is my first conclusion. By the way. When is Al Gore going to seek the release of his networks employees from hard labor in North Korea?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

If your into car bomb chicken I'd recommend Iraq,though Afghanistan seems to be the favourite this time of year.

Only the brave and the stupid would be in Iraq at these present times.
The brave meaning the military.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Apparently the "Resort" Has cliff diving.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

If they were tourists, I would assume they have a guide. Who would want to to be the guide for Americans on the Iran/Iraq border!? You might as well wear a sign that says, "Aim here."

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Now if those tourists just happened to have a smattering of the local language and also happened to look as if they could blend in with the locals, and they said that they were "trying to track their family history" well, I'd want to check out their passports and previous visas.

I'd also be interested in their fitness levels and the type of equipment they were carrying. I'd also be interested in the local family or friends they were trying to track down.

However, I think I'm being just a tad cynical here. For the love of Pete, if the US were sending in a few intelligence gathering heads, why on earth would they give them American passports when directing them to frolic along the Iranian border? For protection? From a bunch of US hating goatherders?

It's probable that these poor sods are genuine backpackers. Dumb as dog doo doo, but genuine.

Unless, of course, their being US citizens is a decided plus towards the goal of kicking up a row with Iran. But that would be cynical of me.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by tangotemper]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well I managed to eat some of my scotch egg.

I guess that answer what they were doing there then.Looking to take part in this years championship.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

While they were playing the innocent tourists I think others may have gotten through.Actually others would have.
Maybe an old tactic but still works none the less.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hmmm, interesting story...

I must say, the holiday resort doesn't look too bad, but I highly doubt any backpacker with a brain would want to go there at this time. Sure, it'll be an adventure, but it has tons of 'one-way' ticket potential if you ask me...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Psynarchist

Well I've heard of extreme Ironing.
But Extreme hiking?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

I thought walking in the Golan was brave. Now doing the Iraqi border is just OOTW and cool as it comes if you live to tell the tale. Sounds a buzz

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This sort of risk taking requires Motivation. While not discounting that our intrepid tourists may be adrenalin junkies without peer, I wonder what possible motivation other than the dubious pleasures of a Kurdish resort, a group of three might have to wander the tracks of the Iranian border?

I think Gallifreyan Medic hit the nail on the head. This was a distraction while others got through. But who or more ominously what, got through?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

There's getting a buzz from something and then theres
Not a buzz Id like to try while still sane.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I think Gallifreyan Medic hit the nail on the head. This was a distraction while others got through. But who or more ominously what, got through?

That's the 64,000 dollar question.
Not a basket of goodies for grandma that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
Hiking in Iraq with how the country still is is either someone aiming for a Darwin award...

I agree completely with this statement.

I'm all for adventuring, but there is a limit, and going to a war torn country to "TOUR" the landscape, just seems like a very bad idea.

I'm thinking these people had ulterior motives. Or heck, they're just whacko.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join