It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital backups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
With all of the proverbial S about to H T F, it may be time for you to think about digital subjects like our beloved ATS. You see, everything on ATS, WIKIPEDIA, GOOGLE, and anything else in common require two things to get to you, Power, and a pipe.

Its simple really, you need both to get to ATS. You need power for your computer, internet access to get to the interwebs, like a fire triangle only linnear, you need both to surf. So what does this have to do with survival? Well survivalists overlook something they preach, the current PTB are in control. If the power went out for good there would be riots and chaos, if the internet went out for "national security" mist would accept it and that would leave you in the dark.

So, here now is how digital backups work. Wikipedia can be viewed in its entirety offline, A spider bot could cache all of ATS in half an hour. Wikipedia is an invalueble asset should the internet be down and you need to look up common topics.

I will not talk about how you should make digital backups, so much as why.

You need your own server!

Your PC is insufficient for storing all these web based files, you need a....web server. You see, basically, when you download the Wikipedia backup from the source, it isnt in a format where you can install it on your computer, you need additional software to make it readable. A server needs to be set up even if its on your PC, just to view that giant file from wikipedia.

I will not write a guide here unluess there is a real interest, I'm simply pointing out something that I fear almost all of you are overlooking in a big way.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Okay, Here's a question, or maybe a thought. What about electro magnetic pulses, **solar flares**, or a pole shift?

I come from an electrical engineering background, and all three are looked at by the IEEE.

Star, and flag for a decent idea.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
Okay, Here's a question, or maybe a thought. What about electro magnetic pulses, **solar flares**, or a pole shift?

I come from an electrical engineering background, and all three are looked at by the IEEE.

Star, and flag for a decent idea.

If you have the ability to shield harddrives and backups from such events, go for it. TBH if any of the three happened, access to wikipedia and IMDB would be the least of our worries.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I find this quite interesting to be honest, and yes, extremely overlooked.

A resource like Wikipedia would be a lot more helpful than some seem to think. Just imagine all of the information contained therein.

However, Wikipedia isn't necessarily the only website that could be useful to have a digital backup of.

Howstuffworks.com would be quite useful especially as time goes on, as well as eHow.com, a complete reference on how to do various things. Now one is able to master all tasks that would be helpful in their lives, and that would certainly be a good reference to start from.

I'm sure that is only the tip of the iceberg, but the possibilities are generally endless. I for one think that it is something everyone should look into, because the more people that have access, the easier it is for information to spread and become widely available once again.

Not only that, but the implementation of a personal server is basically the backbone to the restructuring of a new internet, albeit, a tiny one to start.

S & F.

new topics

top topics

join