It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence Of Liquid Water In Comets Reveals Possible Origin Of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Evidence Of Liquid Water In Comets Reveals Possible Origin Of Life

www.sciencedaily.com

Comets have contained vast amounts of liquid water in their interiors during the first million years of their formation, a new study claims.

The watery environment of early comets, together with the vast quantity of organics already discovered in comets, would have provided ideal conditions for primitive bacteria to grow and multiply. So argue Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe and his colleagues at the Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology in a paper published in the International Journal of Astrobiology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
More evidence in support of cometary panspermia.

Comets: The Delivery System

Many objects that fall into Earth's atmosphere from space are destroyed by heat before they reach Earth's surface. Only the very largest objects have enough momentum to penetrate the atmosphere without slowing down much. The largest comets are in this category. Imagine the fate of living cells deeply embedded in the ice of a large comet. The high heat requirement to melt ice, and water's extremely high heat of vaporization could offer some protection to the cells during a fast trip through the atmosphere. And landing in the ocean would soften the impact.

This study is interesting as it suggests that comets containedliquid H2O rather than just frozen water for millions of years, providing a breeding ground for early forms of bacteria.

Millions of years, a great deal of evolving can happen in that time frame.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ohhh, thats sweet !

Where the water come from ? I just wonder !
I thought water was created on planets an not in space ! ?

S&F ..

[edit on 31/7/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Ohhh, thats sweet !

Where the water come from ? I just wonder !
I thought water was created on planets an not in space ! ?

I'm looking mate, I've found many references to comet water characteristics etc, but nothing on the origin of it, I hope someone out here can help!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yea well, that's the problem with the theory, where did that water come from! From another planet? Remnants of what was left over?

Our outer galaxy, beyond pluto, is filled with chunks of ice..i always ask where did it come from? Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, but i don't know if you'll find pockets of oxygen out there, it is an organic molecule i don' think it could survive long in space..much less an oxygen and hydrogen atom having enough energy to fuse together in space.

Or its possible that water is one of the left over elements after the creation of the universe! The way it is now..there was ginormus explosion, then everything was hydrogen..it gathered into huge clumps..became a astronomically colossal star..new elements are created from the nuclear reaction..star explodes and showers the universe with trillions of those particles. Process is repeated so many times a number would be trivial. Then galaxies form, then solar systems (with the same process! if it worked then it could work now). Then planets formed from what exploded from the star..then that special planet (ours) attracted comets made of ice.

So there you have it! Ice survived the creation of whole galaxies, even with the huge explosion. However..from all of those huge incalculable explosion..water, liquid H2O could have been a by product, and it just consolidated together (it is in zero gravity) and formed a comet so huge it could survive the explosions of what created our galaxies and solar systems.

Yes, yes, let's see what information is avaible, i'm intrigued as well!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Yea well, that's the problem with the theory, where did that water come from! From another planet? Remnants of what was left over?

Our outer galaxy, beyond pluto, is filled with chunks of ice..i always ask where did it come from? Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, but i don't know if you'll find pockets of oxygen out there, it is an organic molecule i don' think it could survive long in space..much less an oxygen and hydrogen atom having enough energy to fuse together in space.

Or its possible that water is one of the left over elements after the creation of the universe! The way it is now..there was ginormus explosion, then everything was hydrogen..it gathered into huge clumps..became a astronomically colossal star..new elements are created from the nuclear reaction..star explodes and showers the universe with trillions of those particles. Process is repeated so many times a number would be trivial. Then galaxies form, then solar systems (with the same process! if it worked then it could work now). Then planets formed from what exploded from the star..then that special planet (ours) attracted comets made of ice.

So there you have it! Ice survived the creation of whole galaxies, even with the huge explosion. However..from all of those huge incalculable explosion..water, liquid H2O could have been a by product, and it just consolidated together (it is in zero gravity) and formed a comet so huge it could survive the explosions of what created our galaxies and solar systems.

Yes, yes, let's see what information is avaible, i'm intrigued as well!

That sounds good enough for me, it really wasn't easy finding any info on it!

new topics

top topics

join