It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone's GPS helps nab thief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

iPhone's GPS helps nab thief

www.cnn.com

A man whose iPhone was stolen turned on the phone's GPS and helped cops find the thief.
This is just another related news clip about what I have explained below. This pertains to everyone..not just IPhone users!
(notice how they point to the GPS feature as the main method of tracking)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.qualcomm.com
www.qualcomm.com

Mod Edit: Altered thread title to reflect actual article headline.
Please review link: Breaking Alternative News guidelines

[edit on 7/31/2009 by maria_stardust]

[edit on 06/24/09 by Dracan6]

Mod Note: Once again, the thread titled has been altered to reflect the actual title of the video. In the future, please refrain from overriding mod edits. It is unacceptable and considered poor form. If for some reason you believe an edit should not have been made, then contact a member of the staff.

[edit on 7/31/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You are being watched, followed, and logged every step…every day!

For some people, probably many here on ATS this may be old news. I still want to address the situation and possibly make others aware. Any support, prior research or criticism will be gladly received.

OK.. Let me start by saying the same thing I have been telling people for years now. I have even made some posts on ATS about this. Anyhow, I used to drive a tractor trailer for a big company a few years back. In most big rigs there is a little device called a Qualcomm OmniTRAC system. This small on board computer helps the terminal send driver’s instruction, and directions. It also shows if the truck is moving and the exact location of the system. This was a bit unnerving to me at the time, being the stiff fines that come with driving over your allotted driving time, and you could never get away with it because for you and every other truck with a qualcomm system on board, there was a corresponding blip on a map somewhere.

Enough of the back history... One day I notice a Qualcomm sticker on my new CDMA phone... I immediately knew the dread implications of this. That’s right. Like the truck system my pocket now had a blip with my information attached to it for anyone with to access to the data to not only find exactly where I am, but also the ability to look up the history of where I had been...Possibly what other blips I seemed to be in contact with... Or even run a query of places with people…

Don't believe me? Go right to the qualcomm web site and read it in beautifully plain English! They are proud of how they have wrangled the chaotic masses and so efficiently tracked your every move.

As for the little vid about the IPhone, I call bull s*&t. CNN seems to be playing the fact that the IPhones GPS map app was the pure means of tracking… Nope it’s the phone itself. All most every phone has this feature and it can’t be disabled. This also leads to another foreboding situation.
(I read this somewhere on ATS the other day. It would be great if someone could confirm.)
It seems now all AT&T subscribers accept in the fine print that any information about them obtained by AT&T technology can be sold or handed over to the Gov.

I hear people bitching about the government putting chips in there skin, saying. "They will never get me to consent to that!"
Guess what you already did! That chip is in your pocket. And I'll bet if you leave it at home...you feel naked with out it...

Feel someone looking over your shoulder?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
From qualcomm history page..

History

In July 1985, seven industry veterans came together in the den of Dr. Irwin Jacobs’ San Diego home to discuss an idea. Those visionaries—Franklin Antonio, Adelia Coffman, Andrew Cohen, Klein Gilhousen, Irwin Jacobs, Andrew Viterbi and Harvey White—decided they wanted to build “QUALity COMMunications” and outlined a plan that has evolved into one of the telecommunications industry’s greatest start-up success stories: Qualcomm Incorporated.

Qualcomm started out providing contract research and development services, with limited product manufacturing, for the wireless telecommunications market. One of the team’s first goals was to develop a commercial product. This effort resulted in OmniTRACS®. Since its introduction in 1988, OmniTRACS has grown into the largest satellite-based commercial mobile system for the transportation industry today.

Qualcomm’s current intellectual property portfolio includes more than 10,100 United States patents for wireless technologies, with more than 165 telecommunications equipment manufacturers licensing them worldwide.

This early success led the company to take a daring departure from conventional wireless wisdom. In 1989, the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) endorsed a digital technology called Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA ). Just three months later, Qualcomm introduced Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA), a superior technology for wireless and data products that changed the global face of wireless communications forever.

Today, Qualcomm plays a central role in the rapid adoption and growth of 3G and next-generation wireless around the wor

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
- 2001 - San Jose, Calif. -- January 23, 2001 -- SnapTrack, Inc., pioneer of Wireless Assisted GPS ™ location systems, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), announced today the award of a broad-based wireless location and asset-tracking patent by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The patent, No. 6,131,067, describes methods for remotely locating or tracking a wireless device via client-server systems that use a computer network or Web browser to initiate a request of a wireless device's position, and receive the device's position either as data or a graphic display using maps or other reference tools. The award of this patent enhances SnapTrack's leading position in next-generation tracking systems and implementations.

"SnapTrack is pushing ahead across a broad front to enable mass market location-based applications with the most advanced wireless location technology available," said Steve Poizner, president of SnapTrack. "We believe that SnapTrack's continued research efforts will help strengthen our partner and licensee service offerings, and will provide our licensees' customers with the most advanced wireless location systems possible."

The rest of this at Qualcomm website

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
They don't know where I am all the time.

My phone sits in a lead case.

Most of the time I forget to take it with me anyway!

If I want to use it I only switch it on at a certain time for several minutes (incase anyone wants to ring me they know that's their only chance) and the rest of the time.......no contact and NO TRACKING!!

There is no need to be in contact all of the time.

This is part of the brainwashing inflicted on people!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

I couldn't agree more! The media has brain washed people.. I mean my 7 year old niece has a cell phone?? Why in the hell would 3rd grader need a cell? I remember her crying over it around X-mas.. "she wouldn't be cool like all the other kids if she didn't get one"...
Plus, a lot of people couldn't even keep up with their own businesses with out having a phone at all time in such a fast paced word. Just another way that we are being herded into going the direction they want us to go.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dracan6

Listening to my son and daughter in law, jabbering away about their contract phones and how much they cost them and the ludicrous amount of time they spend on them, I realised that these companies have a ready market in the number of foolish people who are willing to give away their cash, sell their souls and privacy and give away their wherabouts just so that they can look 'cool and hip' with the latest phone.

As long as such stupid people exist who choose not to switch on their brains the human race remains easy pickings for 'predators' of any denomination!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Very well put indeed!

The sad part is, there's not terribly much anyone can do to turn all of this around. Whats even worse is societies need for these materialistic "badges of honer" is so in bedded in our cultures and everyone's egos. Even if the world knew the total truth of how they are being spied upon, preyed upon, and manipulated. The fact would remain the same... They need these things to feel like they have status... A truly great and sinister plan this!

l=Just have a black man with diamonds and gold around his neck, in his ears, and covering his teeth. Pose on a magazine cover with a bottle of cyanide. With a headline about "How to get tha biatches." You know that would be 10,000s less to be preyed upon

so sad...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
You know what freaks me out? When my home phone rings and you hear noises in the background but no one speaks

MY guess is they know i have a dial up modem and they're trying to tap into my computer activities.

It must be a very boring job.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't have anything on me that contains a GPS, RFID or even old skool RF. I don't even own a wired phone.

I don't use Credit Cards and use only Cash. I get rid of newer Bills with the Magnetic strip as quickly as I can so that I am only carrying older bills without the Magnetic strip.

Being borderline OCD I have cataloged where all the Cameras are at which Intersections, at what locations in stores, etc. I plan my routes to avoid them entirely. The only time the camera gets me is once every three days when I go into the Corner Store to buy a pack of Kreteks and some soda.

I randomly change my routes and behavior...just to keep life interesting and make life more difficult for anyone who decides they want to track me.

Even my Credit Report doesn't show an Address more recent than 12 years ago. Marketers never send me anything in the mail, although once or so a month I get something addressed to "Current Occupant".

Stores, if I have to use them (because the cameras are everywhere in them), know me only by the name "Tom Jones" because I use a code that thousands of other people around the US use when they ask for my Rewards Card or Phone Number.

The funny thing is I have nothing to hide. I'm about as Law Abiding as you can get...and other than posting on ATS I lead a very boring and uneventful life cloistered in my personal library translating ancient texts. I even use hand-crafted Quills and Books rather than a computer.

However, my 12 year old daughter is different. She is never without her Netbook and Cellphone (which she has had since she was 7). I can track her at any point using LoJack or at her Carrier's website because of SnapTrack. She has a Panic Button on her Cellphone that auto-dispatches an Emergency Response to her GPS location (and last time she accidentally pressed it while playing soccer with her friends, we got charged $500 by the City for it!). I enjoy the peace of mind, but she is aware it comes at a cost to her privacy. One day she may rather have privacy like her father does. (She only txts or actually uses her phone maybe once or twice a week, but understands it is generally for just emergencies and to never take it out at school. I would throw the thing away in a heart-beat if she lived and breathed on that thing!)

The OP is absolutely right though. If you choose to get a Cellphone, new Car, new Tires, GPS Tracker, SatRadio, new Laptop, etc. then you are surrendering your right to privacy with every purchase.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Guess what you already did! That chip is in your pocket. And I'll bet if you leave it at home...you feel naked with out it...

Nope don't use a cell phone, and I dumped AT&T years ago. My company had phones but they were more a distraction and a danger so we went back to using a runner (Danger as in when two people are on a 16 foot ladders holding a heavy piece and one answers the dang phone - yeah I had one let go and almost wrecked my back keeping it from falling)

So no cell phone Ipod etc no tracking

But then there are cameras on every street corner that can read your license plate
Just look up at any intersection there will be at least 4 on each one, more on big ones

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dracan6

The exception to the rule.....i do not own, nor ever have, any device that uses GPS technology, never owned a cell phone or even used one for that matter. I have no land line telephone either. My computer is via comcast cable and is on 24/7. If you (or they) cannot physically see me, they have no idea where i'm at. I am most likely to be found in areas that have no cellular service and minimal microwave bombardment.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
There is a difference between "they can track you" and "they do track you" - as in this guys case, he had to turn the GPS on for one thing.

For another, the infrastructure required to track and log the location of every GPS-enabled cellphone at all times would be astronomical - think moonshot-style expensive.

Not really worth it to anyone, nobody cares that much about your trips to the 7/11.

On the other hand, I had to call AAA the other day (alternator failure on I-5), and they were able to locate me and get a tow to me within 10 minutes by the same method. I didn't even realize they had access to it.

top topics

join