It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital Says Tasers Needed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Hospital Says Tasers Needed

www.wabi.tv

Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor wants police to add a taser to the hospital's life-saving equipment.

Hospital officials say they've seen an increase in aggressive behavior in the emergency room, because of fewer inpatient psychiatric beds and less outpatient counseling.

They want a taser on hand at the hospital for police to use in case of an emergency.

The Bangor city council has some say in the idea.

It has to decide whether to allow police to accept a $1,000 grant to buy th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't necessarily mind this.

It's just that as soon as I read this I thought of "hospital brutality".

I started picturing hospitals with people going there for help during into insane asylums.

I'm sure i'm going overboard, but I just don't think tasers are for hospitals. They aren't even for cops for that matter.

www.wabi.tv
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
First impression on seeing the headline was 'crazy tabloid invention'. But I suppose it's real.

Welcome to the 21st century! What next? Kalashnikovs in the Kindergarten?

[edit on 31/7/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Oh brother.

Why not just turn their little security officers into full riot geared goons with every conceivable weapon all lined up and down the front of the hospital.

ha ha ha I can only laugh anymore. This is all a bad dream, right???

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Can't they just smack 'em with those paddles they use for restarting peoples' hearts?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I can understand this. I have unfortunatly been to the hospital too many times over the past year. The tension in the emergency rooms are crazy at times. Not just for the people with possible mental problems, but there have been other issues that could have easily ended poorly for the employees of the hospital. They should have some way of defending themselves.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well that is very interesting, if you happen to be in agony and making noises because of pain, scare and alone, just get taser for been too rowdy and not well behave enough.

BTW (does US hospitals taxer the patients too)
I wonder.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

While I fear for future possible abuses with the taser, I also know that it would be useful. The second day of my clinical at a city hospital we had a gentleman come in hyped up on heroine, there is no way to handle a junkie, especially one that is insistant being distructive. We are allowed to use full body restraints, however this particular guy required 4 security guards (who do not carry anysort of weapon) and two doctors. All the while, physically fighting, biting, and spitting on those in the room. I know they would have appreciated access to a taser.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have never been to an untuly hospital...yet.

It can happen i' sure and i'm probably the first one to get out of line

But consider that Tasers can KILL, so, i wouldnt recommend it. There are other ways.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
The tension in the emergency rooms are crazy at times.

Sure it can

But fixing healthcare would be much easier
Plus how many people go to the emergency room only because they can't find a family doctor accepting more patients?

Everything is all screwed up!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have done security in a hospital in a small college town. Would it be handy? Sure. The threat of asking if they would like 10,000 volts would have helped settle a few rowdy drunk college kids down. But then again, so did the thought of having deal with me most of the time.

In larger cities where gang violence and "warfare" often spill into a hospital to "finish the job" a taser would a welcomed addition.

As a side note, of nearly 5 years of service, I only had to draw back my hand once to be prepared for a strike. I ended up not having to fight but he did end up with 2 nurses, 3 police officers and a doctor holding him down.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Well, times are tough and there are a lot of people on the verge of snapping. When they do, they put everyone around them at risk. While scared security officers with a god complex worries me, the out of controll mental breakdown person worries me more espeically if im there with my kid. As for tasers killing, I'll leave that to the out of controll heroin addict to worry about.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
But fixing healthcare would be much easier
Plus how many people go to the emergency room only because they can't find a family doctor accepting more patients?

Everything is all screwed up!

Are we seriously going to go there??????

It has very little to do with family Dr.'s accepting more patients. Healthcare is not going to fix anything it will only make matters worse.

I will stop there because Im fixing to get seriously off topic. If you want to continue that discussion lead the way to the correct thread.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I wasn't referring to Obama's healthcare reform if that's what you understood.

And yes family doctors not accepting more patients and everyone going to ER for stupid reasons making very long wait lines does add to the problem, of course it does.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Well i can understand what you're saying. Good luck to the heroin addict around these parts, they dont give you diddly. If you're in pain, they tell you to take Ibuprophen even if you are screaming.

Thats one thing i cant stand. I have a problem with my knees, and the pain is consuming me, and they will NOT part with anything other than over the counter stuff.

Damn those druggies, they have made it impossible for those of us who are really in pain and not addicted.

Still, i think tasers are a bit much. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yep thats what I understood sorry. Your right though it is hard to find a Dr. accepting new patients, but at the same time, they are limited by law. Catch 22 I suppose.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
AFTERTHOUGHT:

I can tell you where the real prolem is. And that is at the pharmacies.
Now, havng worked dispensing drugs, i can honestly tell you that they should have an armed guard there. Just for those who cannot get their drugs because its "too early" They go mental. I know.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

They have plenty of drugs to knock someone out give them the permission to use them! Rather than having a taser plug go astray and set off a spark blowing up the oxegen tanks and killing more people! All over someone they should just relax out of their pain in the first place.

As soon as they get to the mental hospital they would knock them out anyway or drug them up so bad they wouldn't be a harm to themselves or anyone around them. If it is a thug well a really bad headache with no med's in a cell for a few days would make them think twice about doing it again now wouldn't it? Ever had a migrane from being given to high of a dose of pain med's etc? It hurts like mad, makes you hurt all over and vomit even water!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Still, i think tasers are a bit much. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Agreed. Its so fun debating with you dg. You are the most polite debater here, a breath of fresh air.

I totaly agree with you about the pharmacies!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
In the last week here in, none other than, Yale-New Haven Hospital, one of the prestigious hospitals in the country, there have been three brawls with two families involved. One guy tried to force his way into the pharmacy and with the average wait time of from 4- 9 hours before you even see triage it's only going to get worse. This was in one night. With the full moon this weekend, it will be bedlam in that ER! I'm not a taser fan but from what I have witnessed in the past, it might be the one place that, if used, has a better chance of NOT killing someone than in the streets used for punishment by rouge cops!

Zindo

[edit on 7/31/2009 by ZindoDoone]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join