It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bolivia Enacts First Law That Prohibits Animals in Circuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Good for Bolivia!

Story Here

LA PAZ, Bolivia — Bolivia has enacted what animal rights defenders are calling the world's first law that prohibits the use of animals in circuses.

A handful of other countries have banned the use of wild animals in circuses, but the Bolivian ban includes domestic animals as well.

The law, which states that the use of animals in circuses "constitutes an act of cruelty," took effect on July 1 and operators have a year to comply, according to the bill's sponsor, Rep. Ximena Flores.

The law was proposed after an undercover investigation by the nonprofit London-based group Animal Defenders International, or ADI, found widespread abuse in circuses operating in Bolivia

Now if this could spread around the world ... that'd be great!
I know some folks won't be happy with the no-circus thing. It's a tradition and all.
But honestly I think they are mean. The critters deserve better.
Children (and grown ups) can still see animals in 'animal friendly' zoos.
But in a circus the animals are forced to do tricks and things that go against their nature.

I'm glad to see Bolivia do this and I hope other countries follow their lead.
I'm kinda surprised that Bolivia was so progressive in this.
It's the poorest country in the Americas.
Looks like they are ahead of us more developed countries in some things, eh?
When we were there adopting our daughter we went to the zoo in Santa Cruz.
It was tiny and there wasn't much to it. I'm surprised that there are any circuses in Bolivia.

Anyways ... Good for Bolivia!

[edit on 7/31/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
bolivia seems like a random starting place for this. i wouldve expected a european country first.

the only thing i would be sad about is not being able to see elephants. i like them for some reason.

this is a wonderful surprise.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
the only thing i would be sad about is not being able to see elephants..

You can still see them in zoos that have nice settings and let the animals roam a little. I am always afraid that the elephants in the circuses will decide they have had enough of the trainers and go on a rampage or something ... but that's me.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Its about time that one country will start the trend, is a pity to see on TV how circus animals are left to die after the become too old to have any money value anymore.

Rescued animals in many shelter locations in the US are actually animals from exotic personal private zoos and entertainment animals.

Is just sad that people have not Idea what happen to a trained animal when is too old.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with having trained animals in circuses, as long as they're taken care of properly. Obviously in Bolivia they weren't so this had to be done, but I don't have any data on how they're treated in the United States and the rest of the world.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
I don't have any data on how they're treated in the United States and the rest of the world.

From yesterday - PETA reports animal abuse by Ringling Brothers ...

interesting article

There is more. Google 'circus animal abuse' .

[edit on 7/31/2009 by FlyersFan]

new topics

top topics

join