It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water Ice on the Moon: Standby for New News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
there is a buzz going on in the moon science community about the finding of water ice on the moon.
If true it will be a game changer for NASA , ISRO , ESA , JAXA and all the other government space programs and for the private industries trying to get in to a hotel / holiday in space like trips.
water ice means drinking water , oxygene , and fuel . If its there as the buzz is people don't have take it there which is cost saving.

There’s growing chatter on the lunar grapevine that exciting news is in the offing regarding the finding of water ice on the Moon – some suggesting there’s loads of it. The prospect that subsurface ice is resident at the bottoms of always dark craters near the lunar poles has been controversial – often debated in scientific circles.

source: space coaltion

I am standing by for sure for news on the when .. when there is a breaking news conference by NASA / ISRO

[edit on 31-7-2009 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I think there's more on the Moon than water...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Cant wait to see if they discover anything!

They recently bombed one of the poles on the moon searching for water... i

will see if I can find the article!

Exiting as water could = life(maybe)!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

I very much doubt there is any life on the moon.This would be a good find as it means there are resources we could use for when we build a base there for scientific research and manned missions to mars.Hopefully im alive for when they build a base.I think they postponed the date of 2020..can't remember.Hopefully the russians build it if the americans don't.Plus i think europe will be more prominent in space exploration by 2020..we are the largest economy in the world right now and have the brains to do it.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing
They recently bombed one of the poles on the moon searching for water...

No they didn't LCROSS will not impact until October There are many threads on it here already just search for NASA bombs the Moon

NASA's mission to bomb the Moon: Scientific American
www.scientificamerican.com...

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk...

NASA moon bombing violates space law & may cause conflict with ...
Examiner

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
there is a buzz going on in the moon science community about the finding of water ice on the moon.

Meh old news... US NAVY Clementine Satellite 1994

U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
News Transcript
Presenter: Dr. Dwight Duston
Assistant Deputy for Technology, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization;
December 04, 1996 1:45 PM EST
DoD News Briefing

Subject: Discovery of Ice on the Moon

Q: What's the presumptive volume of it then, and how did you discern that?

A: As I mentioned, what we can tell from looking at the radar return is roughly the area that is covered by this. Assuming it reflects ice like ice on Mercury -- making that assumption. That's been well looked at. Then in order to see this back scatter effect, this roadside reflector effect; it's estimated that we have to see some number of wavelengths of our radar into the ice. In reviewing the paper, several of the reviewers posited we probably need to see somewhere between 50 and 100 wavelengths. So our wavelength is about six inches. So at the thickest case, it's roughly 50 feet.

Q: That translates to what in volume?

A: We were very conservative in the press release, but if you take basically 100 square kilometers by roughly 50 feet, you get a volume of something like a quarter of a cubic mile, I think it's on that order. It's a considerable amount, but it's not a huge glacier or anything like that.

Q: Can you compare that with something you know?

A: It's a lake. A small lake.

www.defenselink.mil...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkLuitzen

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but why didn't they investigate this possibility 30 years ago?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Is this a revelation? I mean, we have water on Earth...Whether you believe the "moon created by a large object colliding with Earth" or not. Think about this: Comets contain water...comets hit earth...comets surely hit the moon too....therefore, the moon has water...I've believed this as FACT my whole life...someone telling me this now just seems like a "duh" moment...OF COURSE THE MOON HAS WATER!!!

Just my 2-cents!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
I very much doubt there is any life on the moon.

Look up..

Dr Norm Bergrund
"LUNAR LIFE FORMS: REVELATIONS OF APOLLO 14

Dr. Norman Bergrun is an alumnus of Ames Research Laboratory, NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) predecessor of Ames Research Center, NASA where he worked twelve years as a research scientist. At Ames, he pioneered the setting of design criteria for airplane thermal ice-prevention and the developing of roll stability laws for airplanes, missiles and rockets.

He joined Lockheed Missiles and Space Company (now Lockheed Martin) where he was manager of the planning and analysis of flight tests for the Navy Polaris Underwater Launch Missile System.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I guess that harks the end of Robert Zubrin's 'Mars Direct'.

Moon here we come!

Ka-Ching! Ka-Ching! Ehh NASA

IRM :shk:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh... sorry...
Thought they had already bombed the moon's poles.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by halfmanhalfamazing]

top topics

join