It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BILL HR 2749: Food Safety Enhancement Act 2009 PASSES HR Overnight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

In a major step toward an overhaul of the nation’s food safety system, the House of Representatives passed legislation on Thursday to require more frequent inspections of processing plants and give the government the authority to order the recall of tainted foods.

“No legislation like this has moved forward this far in decades to overhaul the food safety laws,” said Erik D. Olson, director of food and consumer product safety issues at the Pew Charitable Trusts. “It’s a pretty historic moment.”

Washington Post

Despite valiant efforts, this has now passed and will await Senate approval this fall. (Thanks for correction). Much has been written about this Bill, so I will not repeat.

Full text of the bill here: www.govtrack.us...

Alex Jones crying about it here: www.infowars.com...

I wish all small farmers in the U.S. good luck, they are going to need it.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Truth4hire]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth4hire
Despite valiant efforts, this has now passed and will await Obama's signature to become law.

I don't think that is accurate because it must still pass the Senate before it can go to Obama for signing.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Despite valiant efforts, this has now passed and will await Obama's signature to become law.

I don't think that is accurate because it must still pass the Senate before it can go to Obama for signing.

Well spotted, it has to pass the Senate first this fall.

Consumer advocates breathed a sigh of relief today as the House took a major step towards FDA reform by passing H.R. 2749, The Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009.

After the provision fell just short of the supermajority needed under a suspension of the rules yesterday, the bill passed easily (283-142) under a closed rule.

Caroline Smith DeWaal, Food Safety Director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, released a statement hailing the passage of the bill. “FDA has been operating under the same law for 70 years and can do little more than respond to outbreaks after the fact. This bill gives the FDA more authority and real enforcement teeth to help prevent more outbreaks, illnesses, and deaths.”

The food safety bill continues to garner broad support from consumer, health, and industry groups and it is expected to come before the Senate this fall.

Link

However, given the House results the Senate will follow suit unless something extraordinary happens. (Like mass protest in the streets).

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Truth4hire]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
All right just what we need more jobs !
Government jobs that is.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
Government jobs that is.

I was going to say just what we need: more regulation.

Does it strike anyone as odd that end of this year Codex will be implemented, and that the FDA will have the regulatory power to enforce the new food standards?

This is no coincidence they want this in place once Codex Alimentarius kicks in.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Government jobs that is.

Does it strike anyone as odd that end of this year Codex will be implemented, and that the FDA will have the regulatory power to enforce the new food standards?

This is no coincidence they want this in place once Codex Alimentarius kicks in.

Totally smells that way , is there any shut downs of Farms in the US ??
I saw a youtube where they claimed farmers get payed not to grow their crops !!

Any insight on this !??

[edit on 31/7/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Government jobs that is.

Totally smells that way , is there any shut downs of Farms in the US ??
I saw a youtube where they claimed farmers get payed not to grow their crops !!

Any insight on this !??

[edit on 31/7/2009 by ChemBreather]

That has been going on a long time. They pay them to leave land idle so it can replenshish itself. Growing cash crops is really a drain on the soil so you have to leave it grow over every so often, but the farmers can't afford to do it, so we as tax pays pick up the tab.
This was ok back in the day of small farms, but most are Corp owned now.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
And as usual the new Appointed Czar for the position will be one of Monsanto's crocks.

Don't you love how government does business in America.

Just have the crocks embedded in government where they can make the laws.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
And as usual the new Appointed Czar for the position will be one of Monsanto's crocks.

Government according to Monsanto.

Killing me softly with their food
Killing me softly...
GMOooooooooo

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Farmers have been paid not to grow certain crops since FDR. When in Ohio and Illinois, oats are planted at the edges of many crop fields. They are plowed over at harvest and the farmer gets a check. Dairy milk gets tossed, surplus cheese is 'sold' to the gov't. yaddah, yaddah, yaddah...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Congress is getting quite power hungry these days. Why don't they just disband the USDA if they think they can do it better?

Here is another example of Congress using their authority in areas where they have no expertise.

Congress seeks to toughen airline pilot regulations

www.kentucky.com...

Why did they create the FAA and the USDA anyway??

Scary, just plain scary when these drunk idiots are calling all the shots.

Impeach all of them!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Congress is getting quite power hungry these days. Why don't they just disband the USDA if they think they can do it better?

Here is another example of Congress using their authority in areas where they have no expertise.

Congress seeks to toughen airline pilot regulations

www.kentucky.com...

Why did they create the FAA and the USDA anyway??

Scary, just plain scary when these drunk idiots are calling all the shots.

Impeach all of them!

Or simply put them on the top of the vaccination list....

That should wake them up.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Star, and Flag for a worthy topic. Just like the Hate Bill, we need to fight this one. No MORE Legislation. People need to write their respective Polipuppets, and demand a halt to this bill.

There is only 545 of those legislative Polipuppets, and with a little civil disobedience they'll cave to 300,000,000+ Americans.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Here are the exemptions on page 57 of the bill. It speaks to sales from farms but they are required to keep records for 6 months for tracing.

I tried to separate the best I could. This is from the PDF version

‘‘(4) EXEMPTIONS.—
‘‘(A) DIRECT SALES BY FARMS.—Food is exempt from the requirements of this subsection if such food is—
‘‘(i) produced on a farm or fishery (including an oyster bed, a wild fishery, an aquaculture facility, a fresh water fishery, and a saltwater fishery); and ‘‘(ii) sold by the owner, operator, or agent in charge of such farm or fishery directly to a consumer or to a restaurant or grocery store.
‘‘(B) OTHER FOODS.—The Secretary may by notice in the Federal Register exempt a food or a type of facility, farm, or restaurant from, or modify the requirements with respect to, the requirements of this subsection if the Secretary determines that a tracing system for such food or VerDate Nov 2008 21:46 Jul 29, 2009 Jkt 079200 PO 00000 Frm 00057 Fmt 6652 Sfmt 6203 E:\BILLS\H2749.RH H2749 srobinson on DSKHWCL6B1PROD with BILLS 58
•HR 2749 RH 1 type of facility, farm, or restaurant is not necessary to protect the public health.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Guess this is not that important huh?

Baaaaah.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth4hire

Guess this is not that important huh?

No it is only important if you are interested in eating. The history behind this power grab is here Food Safety Bills more dangerous than the Patriot Act.

Remember: Securing the source of food and water is the first action during a a take over. Ask any General.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's important. I'm not a bible thumper, or a christian. What I do like are trying to see the truth behind the ancient stories.

I guess before the flood,(many ancient cultures recognize) the majority of the people laughed. They had too many 'important' things to worry about, or 'playtime'. They all died; as they should have.

The same cycle of time is coming again; like a broken record. Yet, these people, the majority choose to NOT listen.

The fronts are numerous. The NWO is going for the ultimate takeover as written by Pyke.

Good job, and good effort.

new topics

top topics

join