It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ishtar Gate in Babylon, damaged by us troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Kind of an interesting read, seems the us army has destroyed part of babylon

wonder what the drawings on the gate where of.. mmmm....

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

The Ishtar Gate in Babylon must be just a replica of the original anyway. The original has been reconstructed in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin. I know, cause I've seen it 3 times until now.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Yeah but doesn't it strike anybody as being odd?
Why there? Why build at that exact location? Were they after something? Seems like a extremely convenient location to plant the flag so to speak if you're searching for possible relics.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I realize everyone like to blame the U.S. for everything but did you actually read the biased article?

First of all the title says:

U.S. troops accused of damaging Babylon's ancient wonder

The article is saying that the U.S. is accused of doing the damaged. That means it is only speculation and NOT proven.

Secondly and most importantly is the paragraph at the bottom of the article. Wonder why they put it at the bottom...Hmmm:

The U.N. report noted that U.S. troops were not solely responsible for ruining the 4,000-year-old city. Before their arrival, local residents had contributed to the damage, mostly through development, the report said.

"The features of the western side of the city of Babylon disappeared many years ago due to encroachment by agriculture and development on the archaeological zone," the report said.

Local residents contributed to the damage. I would guess they did most of the damage if not all the damage. The useless UN does not know who did what damage.

[edit on 7/31/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This reminds me of that thread here about amonth ago, I cant remember the name, but went into the topic of Usmc being in iraq to remove sutren bloodlines and ancient 'relics' or what you call them..

I'm just saying, the researcher seemed pretty mad at them..

But who's to say ...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I read a topic on " everything strange " forum, on another site last year and the members there were referring to a space article called the BABAL machine, probably not the items proper name, but it was linked to biblical times.. a machine that could turn rocks into bread it was delivered to this group of refuges from space travelers,and was being held in IRAQ by Saddam along with other terestial articles,.. not sure if true but I'm sure i will put straight on here..

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The ancients built on that site for a reason. It was a good spot for a fortification. We built on the site for the same reason. Why "re-invent the wheel," or in this case, re-invent the strategic advantage.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here's a link to Wikipedia's article about Ishtar and the gate.

www.newworldencyclopedia.org...

Many of the animals are hybrids.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The war in Iraq, wiping ancient history of the map, that's what this is about.
It is part of an ancient prophecy from there.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Regenstorm]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

I really wonder why everyone likes to blame the US for everything bad in the world. The US doesn't even have troops in Iraq, how would they destroy an ancient arch? I bet the locals did it, over the centuries, and now that they found someone "convenient" to blame they're off! It's not like they stole any antiquities from Iraq, did they? No, so what is with all this fuss?

Tomorrow they will tell us that the US has bombed Iraq too? gimme a break!

[/off]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

It seems like you're referring to the Manna Machine.

I couldn't find much info online, maybe someone else with more time can.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maegnas
reply to post by WhatTheory

I really wonder why everyone likes to blame the US for everything bad in the world. The US doesn't even have troops in Iraq, how would they destroy an ancient arch? I bet the locals did it, over the centuries, and now that they found someone "convenient" to blame they're off! It's not like they stole any antiquities from Iraq, did they? No, so what is with all this fuss?

Tomorrow they will tell us that the US has bombed Iraq too? gimme a break!

[/off]

You insult the poster for stating facts?

Do you know how much trouble any soldier found damaging something such as that would be in?

Don't be a fool your entire life.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
First off, relax and read more carefully. did you notice the [/off] part? Good! That's "sarcasm off".

Second, why would the soldiers be in any kind of trouble? They occupy the place and they can do with it as they please. It has always been the case with occupation forces everywhere (and every time), why would this be different? they may face trouble IF they are discovered, until then they are safe

Again

[/off]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maegnas
First off, relax and read more carefully. did you notice the [/off] part? Good! That's "sarcasm off".

I'm well aware it was a sarcastic post and that's why I said not to insult the man.
Sarcasm doesn't imply joking, it's usually a tool used by someone to belittle or insult another. I've no clue why you seem to think it's used otherwise.

As for the rest of your post it's hardly worth explaining. You are either playing dumb or are hopelessly clueless on such matters, in which case I've no more time to devout to you regarding this subject.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
OK, educate me then. How long did the atrocities at Abu Graib went on before anyone was brought to trial (a.k.a. "faced consequences")? Why were those atrocities committed in the first place? Could it be that the guards thought it "safe", since they "owned" the country? Would the whole thing be blown up so much if media outside the US hadn't got wind of it along with US media?

In the end, you mean to tell me that the occupying force in Iraq is comprised by "angels"? That each and every member of said force cares so much for the livelihood and cultural heritage of the locals?

As for the "clueless" part, to which of my two previous posts are you referring?

Sorry I had to go off topic.

new topics

top topics

join