It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. troops accused of damaging Babylon's ancient wonder

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

They are not police men, did any of those looters point guns and or grenades and or both at them? No they do not protect property that is not their jobs. Unless it's the borders of their country. If you wanted artifacts protected then send in a police force. That looting happened around the same time as a series of pretty heated battles actually, just cause Huessein ran into his spider hole didn't mean the end of fighting as we have seen. Further more contractors are a civilian force that can be used to protect sights, if they didn't do their job in some fashion then they are to blame. But as of yet I have yet to read anything reported about soldiers purposefully going around destroying things. And etc...

PS: destroying things they shouldn't have anyways...
edit on 14-1-2011 by Golithion because: Whoopsies.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Golithion because: I swear I can type I swear! 60wpm!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Here is a rather interesting report on the damage from the BBC.

Great Video report

Babylon ruins 'damaged by troops'

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

They are not police men, did any of those looters point guns and or grenades and or both at them? No they do not protect property that is not their jobs. Unless it's the borders of their country. If you wanted artifacts protected then send in a police force. That looting happened around the same time as a series of pretty heated battles actually, just cause Huessein ran into his spider hole didn't mean the end of fighting as we have seen. Further more contractors are a civilian force that can be used to protect sights, if they didn't do their job in some fashion then they are to blame. But as of yet I have yet to read anything reported about soldiers purposefully going around destroying things. And etc...
PS: destroying things they shouldn't have anyways...

Apparently the Pentagon doesn't agree with you...

A military official said she had not seen the U.N. report, but added that one of the reasons troops set up a base at the site was to safeguard it. "Coalition forces first occupied the Babylon site in April 2003 during the ground campaign of Operation Iraqi Freedom with a purpose, among others, of protecting the ruins from looting after the provincial museums in Babylon and Kufa were robbed of their entire contents," said Lt. Col. Tamara Parker, a spokeswoman. "U.S. forces respect historical sites in Iraq," she added. edition.cnn.com...

<< 1  2   >>

join