It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. troops accused of damaging Babylon's ancient wonder

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The U.S. military did major damage to the site of one of the wonders of the ancient world while converting it into a base, the United Nations said in a new report.
An U.S. soldier looks over the ancient city of Babylon in Iraq in 2004.

An U.S. soldier looks over the ancient city of Babylon in Iraq in 2004.

The site of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon was converted into Camp Alpha shortly after the United States invaded Iraq in 2003.

The troops and their contractors caused "major damage" by digging, cutting, scraping and leveling while they were revamping the site to meet military standards, the U.N. cultural agency, UNESCO, said in a report.

"Key structures that were damaged include the Ishtar Gate and the Processional Way," the report added.

edition.cnn.com...

Well there you go, i wonder how many out of place objects they found and took back to God knows where.

[edit on 31/7/2009 by serbsta]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I've accidentally posted this in the wrong board, could a moderator would be as kind to move it to the correct one?

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
They happen to be Soldiers out there fighting for their lives, so do you honestly expect them to be more concerned with the preservation of artifacts, or with defeating an enemy and being able to live to talk about it? Next time go ahead and hire Archaeologists to fight a war, because that, in a sense, is essentially what you are asking of these Soldiers.

As for the United Nations, it seems that they have no problems making the United States (and Allies) do all of their dirty work, but they find the "tenacity" to step in with criticism after it is all said and done. It is especially ironic emanating from an international grouping of money swindlers, and extortion artists.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Yes, i understand they are fighting for their lives, i also understand that they are fighting for the agendas of criminals.

Now what i don't understand is why use something so precious and historically valuable to not just the Iraqi people but the human race as a military base?

In my eyes that's just careless, and i would bet those 'raids' on museums mentioned in the article are no accident either.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
kind of reminds me of the Team America movie f@$k yeah. Thoughtless American soldiers pounding into someones backyard, paying no respect to the locals and their artifacts.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Whatever the case, military objectives always take precedence over other goals, at least in the military. If they need to put a site up somewhere, they aren't going to let a few artifacts interfere. They're fighting a war, not running for office.

Personally, I think that a lot of our problems come about from nationalism, and part of that comes from hanging on to old junk. I'm not convinced that we'd be any worse off dynamiting all our so-called "landmarks", gettting rid of symbols of nationalism altogether. One less stupid building or icon to die for. And I'm talking everywhere, not just in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Well, just goes to show, now matter how clean we try to be, organzied, as long as humans are around, we will make a bigger mes of EVERYTHING around us.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon are one of the 7 wonders of the World not some nationalist Icon like the Statue of liberty or Eiffel Tower. Surely the US Army isn't that stupid as to not know this. It's not just a wonder of Iraq its for the World.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Yeah but doesn't it strike anybody as being odd?
Why there? Why build at that exact location? Were they after something? Seems like a extremely convenient location to plant the flag so to speak if you're searching for possible relics.

The U.N. report noted that U.S. troops were not solely responsible for ruining the 4,000-year-old city. Before their arrival, local residents had contributed to the damage, mostly through development, the report said.

"The features of the western side of the city of Babylon disappeared many years ago due to encroachment by agriculture and development on the archaeological zone," the report said.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Now what i don't understand is why use something so precious and historically valuable to not just the Iraqi people but the human race as a military base?

Didnt you bother reading the report before you posted it?

"Coalition forces first occupied the Babylon site in April 2003 during the ground campaign of Operation Iraqi Freedom with a purpose, among others, of protecting the ruins from looting after the provincial museums in Babylon and Kufa were robbed of their entire contents," said Lt. Col. Tamara Parker, a spokeswoman.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta

"Key structures that were damaged include the Ishtar Gate and the Processional Way," the report added.

The original gate is in a museum in Berlin I think

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I realize everyone like to blame the U.S. for everything but did you actually read the biased article?

First of all the title says:

U.S. troops accused of damaging Babylon's ancient wonder

The article is saying that the U.S. is accused of doing the damaged. That means it is only speculation and NOT proven.

Secondly and most importantly is the paragraph at the bottom of the article. Wonder why they put it at the bottom...Hmmm:

The U.N. report noted that U.S. troops were not solely responsible for ruining the 4,000-year-old city. Before their arrival, local residents had contributed to the damage, mostly through development, the report said.

"The features of the western side of the city of Babylon disappeared many years ago due to encroachment by agriculture and development on the archaeological zone," the report said.

Local residents contributed to the damage. I would guess they did most of the damage if not all the damage. The useless UN does not know who did what damage.

[edit on 7/31/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes, actually i've read the article twice, that didn't do it for me unfortunately. Trust a foreign military in a site such as the Hanging Gardens? There is a US department which is responsible for the collection of artifacts in Iraq, theft if you ask me. I will try and find more information unless you already know the details yourself.

And yes i agree, the article is bias.

[edit on 31/7/2009 by serbsta]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The article is biased and the article got all it's facts wrong.
The military was protecting relics.
And the parts of that '7 wonders' site that the article claims the US
military took/destroyed ... aren't even there and have been safe in
a museum elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
To safeguard the relics? Was the site guarded before the invasion/liberation (whatever) of Iraq? Because if some development of the site was already done by locals, I would think it would have to have been publicly accessible.

I think another part of the article gives us a clue of the real reason:

"We were very disappointed when multinational forces took over these ancient sites as bases although they knew how important these sites are to Iraqis and to the entire world," said Abdulzahra al-Talaqani, spokesman for the ministry of tourism.

Taking over cultural landmarks is a show of force. If a country (or coalition) were ever to invade the US, then you can bet on it that the white house and statue of liberty will be made into a reminder of the victory. To destroy the will to fight of the people, you take possession of everything that gives them power. Be it (ancient) centers of power or cultural sites. It's part the mind-war that an occupying army has to fight.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I would have expected more from US and as invading force in another country, I will have to agree with Drofl, is way to wag physiological war on citizens steeping all over their ancient, cultural and religious roots.

What a shame USA we invaded that nation after all, regardless what the war patriots in this board think.

No respect.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The article is biased and the article got all it's facts wrong.
The military was protecting relics.
And the parts of that '7 wonders' site that the article claims the US
military took/destroyed ... aren't even there and have been safe in
a museum elsewhere.

The American record on protecting Iraq's antiquities has been abysmal.

Lost: The Looting of Iraq’s Antiquities
What’s changed since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003? The pace of looting and the penalties. “Under Saddam [Hussein] the penalty for looting was death—obviously that deterred looting,” said Bogdanos. “When they realized we [U.S. Armed Forces] wouldn’t shoot looters, instead of scattering they would wave to us in the helicopter.”...
Since the invasion, the looting of Iraq’s archaeological sites has continued unabated...
Sources say looting has increased since the 1991 Iraq invasion and even more so since the 2003 invasion. ...www.aam-us.org...

[edit on 31-7-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
You do know that the EUPHRATES RIVER is mentioned in the book of Revelations, And there are 4 angles that are bound at the EUPHRATES RIVER who have been prepared for a hour and a day and month and year to kill a third of men. REVELATIONS 9:13 SIX ANGEL TRUMPET BLOWING.

[edit on 7/31/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
They were probably looking for weapons of mass destruction and protecting the site from Al-Qeada?
The American military has zero honor at this point. They know they are fighting wars based on lies, but they continue to obey orders from traitorous criminals. When are the American people going to put a stop to this murder?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Floating thru Reality
They were probably looking for weapons of mass destruction and protecting the site from Al-Qeada?

Actually, if you read the article instead of just posting smack, you'd have noticed this little tidbit:

"Coalition forces first occupied the Babylon site in April 2003 during the ground campaign of Operation Iraqi Freedom with a purpose, among others, of protecting the ruins from looting after the provincial museums in Babylon and Kufa were robbed of their entire contents," said Lt. Col. Tamara Parker, a spokeswoman."

Originally posted by Floating thru Reality
The American military has zero honor at this point. They know they are fighting wars based on lies, but they continue to obey orders from traitorous criminals. When are the American people going to put a stop to this murder?

Whatever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join