It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MONSTERPOCALYPSE SERIES 3: ALL YOUR BASE Strategy Guide flagged by Homeland Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

MONSTERPOCALYPSE SERIES 3: ALL YOUR BASE Strategy Guide flagged by Homeland Security

privateerpress.com

Homeland Security pulled the shipment for an intensive examination last week when it arrived in the United States. While no comment was made to the nature of the investigation, several crew members within Privateer Press believe the government became concerned over some of the more radical ideals espoused by several factions within the Monsterpocalypse game.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This brings back memories of 1992 all over again with the Secret Service raiding Steve Jackson Games because it feared that GURPS Cyberpunk Roleplaying Manual contained instructions for cracking real computers, rather than game rules for pretending to crack fictional computers.

Or the recent DHS Reports that World of Warcraft and XBox Live! are aiding and abetting terrorists allowing them to meet, plan, and train in cyberspace under the guise of playing a game.

I guess Games aren't protected under the Constitutional Right to Free Speech any more when the government sees invisible enemies everywhere.

privateerpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Excuse me, is it just me or have things gone haywire since Obama's election? How is it that all of the sudden the Gov is sticking their noses into this sort of affair when in the past it was of no concern to them? WTH?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Bit of a stretch here don't ya think? Can we get a link to anything that suggests this isn't a marketing ploy to sell more figurines?

You're right about one thing though, video games will feel the effects of censorship and knee jerk reactionary legislation.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
If they're really concerned about the game factions radical ideas then what next? No tv-shows with radical ideas? This is complete and utter BS and the people who waste time and money doing this 'investigation' should be ashamed and fired.
Or maybe there is a conspiracy, maybe they're just fans of the game and wanted the copies in advance?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Some paranoia is healthy but to much can be dangerous.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GigatronixCan we get a link to anything that suggests this isn't a marketing ploy to sell more figurines?

I admire your skeptical discernment. There is nothing wrong with being cautiously incredulous.

I originally found the article in a major and reputable News Outlet (Slashdot.org), however, I used the link that they quoted as their News Source. After you asked I searched and found tons of articles and blogs referring to this, but each and every one of them quoted the same Source, being the Publisher of the game.

I also found this:

MONSTERAPOCALYPSE SERIES 3: ALL YOUR BASE Strategy Guide cleared by Homeland Security that claims:

The Monsterpocalypse Series 3: All Your Base Strategy Guide, which was detained by Homeland Security last week, has been cleared of all security concerns and delivered to Privateer Press.

So, either this was Much To Do Over Nothing, a Marketing Ploy, or indication of a new Standard Procedure that Importers must go through to sell their products in the United States.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
To be fair the cyberpunk thing back in the 90s happened because the designer of that game was Lloyd Bankenship or something like that, or as he was known in the hacker world, The Mentor. A known hacker from one of the most known hacker groups back then, LoD. Although he was really more of a writer than a hacker. So i think thats part of the reason that happened. With this though I think they just pulled it because of the name which is stupid and kinda funny lol.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
I searched and found tons of articles and blogs referring to this, but each and every one of them quoted the same Source, being the Publisher of the game.

So, either this was Much To Do Over Nothing, a Marketing Ploy, ....

Based on your research, my first guess would be marketing ploy. But a pretty clever one, it's a lot cheaper than paying megabucks to some big advertising agency.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Maybe they just wanted their copy before the kiddies at the other alphabet agencies could get one at best-buy.

top topics

join