It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultimate Survival Kit: What would you take?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

Me too. There are some things I did not mention that I will be bringing with me also. Good stuff Primordial.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I would stock up on rice and other dry food because it keeps so long. I think having a van is a good idea.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

Question no. 1, survival where? If urban environment, present day, and Status-Law abiding; Universal ATM card, $500.00 low dem bills local currency and US, reversible clothing one side dark, other conventional casual, encrypted/biometric access organizer and GPS, radio full band, cell phone w/back-up GPS water-shock resistant, compass, universal credit card, US drivers license, local national drivers lic. if not US, local back-up maps, key urban locations, a way to get hold of friends(if any) not written down, special NMR(no money required) pay phone access numbers, colapsable cup and charcole straw, stimulants, pain killers, space blanket, glucose/sucrose tabs. Small flashlight. If it makes sense a student like back pack could hold a lot, and blend in for North America,Europe,Australia, etc. Appropriate books etc, for school or business. Written material would include a one time pad within the books, etc. I would love to carry an access alarm scrambler and Fitchet lock pick set, hidden with in clothing, but wouldent. Unless the system was breaking down I don't see why I would need them, and it could create "complications" with the locals. Also would have a whistle, a bic lighter, and some smokes. (I don't smoke, but smokers going through withdrawl open up when you give them one).

Someplace exourban; Bic lighter, matches, gelignite (small toothpaste like tube of high heat, water resistant ignition gell.), one large, one small space blanket, compass, boot knife, small spool carbon-carbon cutting filliment, encrpted/biometric access organizer w/GPS, cell phone w/backup GPS both water/shock resistant(don't leave home without them) I can tie them together for satalite access, "dieters death" super calorie-nutriant bars, antihistamine, potassium pergomate, stimulants (most likely methaphenadate or Ritalyn) and dexadrine or Adderal, pain killers, if possible water proof floatable sleeping bag, butabarbital a pain killer, sedative and antiszieure med, whistle, small flashlight, colapsable cup and several charcole straws, colapsable shovel, microthin tent if possible, fishing line with hooks, deet (bug spray), spare socks and underwear, micro first aid kit if possible and, a .22cal pistol with 20 rounds and a .45cal with 8 rounds of "wadd cutters", if possible. As much compact, multiuse camping gear I can get. My idea of roughing it is not having white wine with fish...

[edit on 2/6/10 by arbiture]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture
reply to post by gravitybender

My idea of roughing it is not having white wine with fish...

[edit on 2/6/10 by arbiture]

couldn't agree more.. I am really glad this thread is starting to pick up pace. a lot of good ideas.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bently

Rice is so heavy. What happens when your van runs out of petrol though

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

cooking oil? then again, you might get chased from your van smelling like a chip shop

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
i'm also wondering, if you dont have a car/van, then what are you supposed to cook food in? you would have to carry a pan or a pot.. or can you just make one? you can obviously put meat on a spit, but you can cook rice on a spit thats for sure.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
that is why i included a tin water cantine(some sort of metal will do) to boil water and soups in.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by knowonder

ah thanks, remember to keep the bones of anything you kill, comes in handy for making a stock to go with your rice etc.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What would I take?

When there is a lot- take a lot
when there is a little- take it all.

If you would like to have company along with you though
I subscribe to the idea of sharing...

Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for one night.
Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life...

Actually watch the heck out for people who think like that.

All kidding aside:
knowledge
How to what to where to when to why to
And at least one good blade.

There is a national film board of Canada film
showing a Metis man with a hatchet.
He goes into the bush Friday night and by Sunday night he has:
a shelter
a canoe/paddles
a bow and arrows
fishing gear
traps
utensils
food fresh and preserved food
furs for extra cloths...
A life...

If you don't know, get some good books and practice ahead of time...
you cannot carry enough to live long, so you must hunter gather.

basic camping gear
basic hunter gatherer tools
pocket books
edible plants book
medicinal plants book
basic survival skills book

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Dr Slim

If you make a circular piece of unblemished white birch bark and fold it in quarters like a hi school science filter paper so you have a cone shape
take a litle splint (like a bobby pin) and slide it on the edge
to hold the cone together

use rocks in the fire to make a stand to hold it at the right hight
or use a piece of wire or wirey stick to make a handle
as long as there is water in it
it will not burn while you cook your rice.

things do not spoil as quikly wrapped in birch bark

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

thanks dan, i wasn't sure on that, also, you know where you said he made a bow, and he made fishing gear, where do you get the string?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
What if a major EMP from the sun took out all the power on the planet? We would be taken back to the stone ages. And there would be no way to get meds.

How would we survive?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sothh

no doubt it would be devastating but how hard would it be to come back from a giant emp?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowonder
reply to post by growlikecrazy

i dont understand i desire for everyone to want to bring seeds. are we all banking on the fact that there will be a lot of open space and we all just become farmers? just curious?

knowonder--You don't need that much space to grow enough food for yourself. My thinking is, why WOULDN'T you bring seeds? I think it's funny that all these preppers save food, enough for like 2 years or whatever, and think they're prepared. Okay, so 2 years have come and gone, now what? You're out of food and you have no way of getting more except by picking it where you can find it or stealing it from other people?

Wouldn't it just make more sense to grow some?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

when was the last time you tried to grow food (i have vegetable garden and if i dont water it everyday the next day things are starting to wilt and i live in maryland) ... not all areas grow well and to really make it worth while you need to water it daily... there there is a scenario where civilization collapses then what makes you think your hose will work or that it will be that safe to run to the closest stream to fill your bucket?

in anycase local goods would be best and those can be gathered and regrown locally.

just my opinion

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
if that is how it all is going to in then BRING IT ON!!!!!

I love fuzzy kitties!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Ive been busy buying goods in preparation for what may come. I still require a long term water purification method apart from boiling which becomes a real pain in the ass irl. I cant afford a katadyne purifier so im looking at UV purification like the Steripen:

Although I saw a katadyne filter bag system that I thought surely I could make myself using gravity and some sort of fabric suspended from a height to provide bacteria and virus free water daily. Does anyone have any ideas what fabric effectivly filters out bacteria and viruses so I might make it from scratch for cheap?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by rajaten]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
knowander--Yeah, because all of our ancestors had hoses. How the hell do you think humans made it this far? They worked with nature, not with modern technology. The idea of a "survival garden" to us was just a regular garden to our ancestors--they grew to survive because that's just what you did.

If we're all gonna strut around, blabbing about how prepared we are, then I think it's important to be prepared in ALL situations and not just the ones we choose to be prepared for.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

what i was saying is that it is a lot more difficult than putting seeds in the ground and doing a rain dance. especially at first I think it would be simplier to scavage and prolly safer as well since with a garden you will be exposing your regularly traveled paths. I dont mean to call neone incompetent i am just saying if you are trying to survive you may not want or even have the time to grow a garden. I know if i run across a garden ima take the guy out and steal his stuff... he obviously is around somewhere so i can wait him out to come back and tend to his garden

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join