It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultimate Survival Kit: What would you take?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

That looks perfect. Can it change sea water into drinkable water?

Its pretty expensive though, do you know of any cheaper products that do the same thing?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Nope, cannot desalinate. Nothing within our "price range" is going to do that but desalination is not hard, dig a hole, pour in the saltwater, place a coffee can, bucket, any kind of collector into the hole, cover the hole with a piece of plastic and put a small weight over the plastic so the evaporation will glide down the plastic into your collector.

The difference with this is it is metal, cheaper plastic products break easy. Also, this does 1000s of gallons of water before filter needs to be changed if you cover the intake with a "coffee filter" to pre-filter large particles. Other models only do a few hundred. You can look up the stats, this one is one of the best.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Ok sounds solid. I'll buy one then. The video on the pocket microfilter shows the outer ceramic can just be washed over and over and the product has a lifetime warranty, does this mean it could potentially provide one persons water needs for say 20 or so years?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Found it.

rootzoo.com...

Durability, a word that seems to crop up everywhere in hiking equipment reviews. It is a fundamental property, that so many micro filters on the market seem to lack. If you go onto a search engine, and look at other micro filter reviews, you will see the amount of negative feedback there is. So many pumps are built with cheap and plastic pumps that break under stress and pressure. The average life span of a micro filter is 200 gallons per filter. The life span of the katadyn pocket water microfilter is 13000 gallons per cartridge. Why? Because it is built with a silver ceramic cartridge, carefully designed to last as long as possible. This means your money is stretched and your time isn't wasted replacing it. The katadyn pocket water microfilter is 60 times more durable than the typical filter.

So the average life of "this" baby is 13,000 gallons.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by infolurker]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Also, don't forget the ruger 10/22 and a ton of ammo.

LOL

Here are some interesting things to check out as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by infolurker]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Definitely ahead of the pack. It looks sexy too lol

Checkout this list of cool stuff for A zombie apocalypse:
www.amazon.com...=cm_lmt_srch_f_1_rsrsrs1

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

From that first link:

"One other thing - meeting up with "like minded" individuals may not be what you think.... Soon someone is going to have a "Leader" complex and possibly gain "followers" which may put you and your loved ones in an awkward position depending how bat-sh!t crazy the wanna be "leader" turns out to be. You may soon find yourself in a situation that is worse than going it small with your "trusted" friends and family. "

LOL im planning on surviving han solo when SHTF. The katadyn filter will be perfect for this.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Two other sites with allot of stuff are:

www.sportsmansguide.com...

check the surplus

&

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Me want www.amazon.com...
Solar powered flashlight/radio and mp3 player charger

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
All these survivalist folk are completely clueless.
Everything listed here so far is UTTERLY trivial.

The nicest , tastiest rabbit caught in a snare could utterly lethal in hours. Why?
Even if you get food, there is no way to know if it is radioactive.

One thing ABOVE ALL OTHERS is critical.

A geiger-counter.

With a geiger counter, you can trade the ability to check for radiation for everything else... for food, fuel etc.... even for the batteries to run it.

After a nuclear exchange, a highly likely possibility in the near future the way the Middle East is going, it is the ONE AND ONLY absolute essential.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by airvicemarshal

Not really, because I shoot you from behind with my gun then take your geiger counter off your dead body and maybe your shoes too.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by airvicemarshal

that is assuming nuclear is what will happen.. I think it would be more than nuclear as there are many things that could kill a large enough group of people... and god forbid if that happens but a gieger counter may not help us at all..... why pack it. my kit would be a little more universal ..

not to say it wouldn't be useful cause it could go down like that. we dont know

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

completely agree. not sure i would be so heartless as i would only shoot someone to defend myself (unless he lobs is Geiger counter at me,which counts) I would prolly just take out a limb or something.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
To answer the original question, I would take seeds. I think seeds, along with livestock, are going to be a huge bartering chip in the future if there were some huge catastrophe, not to mention (obviously) a source of food for yourself. It all began with seeds, and when we're no longer here, the seeds will be.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by growlikecrazy

i dont understand i desire for everyone to want to bring seeds. are we all banking on the fact that there will be a lot of open space and we all just become farmers? just curious?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
These threads pop up from time to time and I'm glad for it. It forces me to stop and evaluate my BOB and swap out some "Fresh" stuff.

It seems though, that as time passes, these things look like they get bigger and heavier. Mine has stayed the same for 8 years. This is a partial list:

(1) 8' x12' plastic tarp, woodland pattern
(2) 3' x5' mylar sheets - used as blankets, reflectors, dehydrators, desalienter or solar stove
(1) fixed blade hunting knife
(1) Swiss Army Knife
(1) Leatherman multi-tool
sharpening stone
(1) compass
flint and steel
50' bundle climbing rope (550 lbs capacity)
50' bundle clothesline
hatchet
(1) pair leather work gloves
(20) 1 gallon ziplock bags
assorted carabiners
collapsable 3 gallon water bag
handcrank radio
kinetic charge led flashlight
basic medical kit
(20) fish hooks and 100 yd spool fishline
stainless steel canteen

...and lots of other little things that are multi-purpose and take up almost no space.

I look at it like this. I have no idea what the situation is that will require me to bug out. So, rather than trying to have everything for every situation, I will leave with the basics. If the situation truly requires one to bug out, others will as well leaving a great deal of material behind. I feel comfortable in being able to scavange my way along to my final destination.

On a final note, I recommend leaving enough room in your kit to add a few last minute items. For example; if it is winter, it may require additional clothing etc...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Good ideas.

what is mylar? Is that just a type of plastic tarpaulin material?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Here is what is in my Bug-Out-Bag (BOB). In no order.

4 Capri Sun Drinks, Emergency Drinking Water
Wet Weather/Cold Weather Pants
Wool Sweater
2 Pairs Wool Socks.
550 Cord
Shaving Kit
Combat Knife, 2 Folding Knives, Razor Knife, Surgical Knife, Scissors
1st Aid Kit (in case I cut myself with all those knives)
Motorola Walki-Talkies
Lots of Foriegn Money
Needle Nose Pliers
Lighter
Water Proof Bags
Batteries
2 Pair of Gloves
Head Light
NVG's (Night Vision Goggles) Cruddy Civilian Type
5 Days worth of Clothes, Camo
Shaving Kit
Camel Back Drinking System
Water Purifier and Tablets
Wistle
Small Calliber Hand Gun & Ammo
Camo Net 10'X8' and Bag
Gilly Suit (Desert)
Face Camo in Case
Flask for "Morral"
Mirror
"E-Tool" Entrinching Tool (Small Foldable Shovel)
Maps of Relevant Terrain
Compass
Safety Glasses
American Flag
Cot
2 Belts, As many small straps as I can find.
Several Forms of ID (Birth Cirtificate, Social Security Card)
Calcutator
Notepad & Pens
Hand Cuffs
Tazer
Everything wieghs about 60 lbs.

What I want to add to my "BOB"
Gas Mask
More Money
Laser range Finder
Small Fishing Pole
Tent
Sleeping Bag
Survival Info - Pocket Books on Animal and Plant Life for Area
Pepper Spray

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thats Funny. Your list and mine are not all that different. Have you been in the military?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by airvicemarshal
All these survivalist folk are completely clueless.
Everything listed here so far is UTTERLY trivial.

The nicest , tastiest rabbit caught in a snare could utterly lethal in hours. Why?
Even if you get food, there is no way to know if it is radioactive.

One thing ABOVE ALL OTHERS is critical.

A geiger-counter.

With a geiger counter, you can trade the ability to check for radiation for everything else... for food, fuel etc.... even for the batteries to run it.

Or I could just shoot you with my pistol and take your geiger counter. I bet you cant stop a bullet with a geiger counter.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join