It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultimate Survival Kit: What would you take?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I read Popular Mechanics this month and in the magazine they have a two page section that details everything you need to survive on your own. Unfortunately they do not post it on their site, but they do come close:

Link to Article

Okay so I am getting ready - for what I don't know, but I am prepping for survival. So I thought it would be really cool to create the ultimate survival kit. I looked online and saw a lot of crap I would probably never need and would eventually expire by the time I did need it.

It would be cool if everyone could post a few of the items they plan to have when SHTF. I think it would be good to get one of everything for ultimate survival.

So what's in your survival kit?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Interesting topic. I'll try and be a little creative while remaining realistic.

A whistle: All purpose attention grabber, distress beacon.

Magnifying glass: Fire

Snare Wire

Antihistamine / Analgesics / Antibiotic / Potassium Permanganate (sterilizing agent and anti sceptic)

Condom: Water bag

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Oscitate]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Guns, food, booze and women....

[edit on 30-7-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
food, water, silver, dog food, TP

solar lights (you can get them under $20)

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86b7b81065c2.jpg[/atsimg]

No but seriously

here is a video of the Ultimate Survival Kit. Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I would make sure to take a sharp knife. That is the utlimate survival kit. That and the teeth that are left in my head. Everything else can come from this. Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmayhew01
Guns, food, booze and women....

The "Five G's," son: "guns, girls, gold, grain, and gasoline."

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
500cc Honda dirt bike, tools to fix it, riot gun, lots of 00buckshot, camping gear in a pack.

I forgot....Glock 9

[edit on 31-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
What you need depends on WHERE you are and WHAT SEASON you are going out in. I live in virginia and this list will get me through any season. Note: i do not include a coat or a sleeping bag, my wool poncho functions as both but must be supplemented with created natural shelter .Regardless of your skills all the items in my list can be invaluable. They have all been chosen on the criteria of weight and multiple use. Everything shown is field tested.

ALL my gear with food and water weigh less than 65 lbs.

Medium A.L.I.C.E. pack without frame

1-Wool blanket converted to Poncho
2 - water Filter, PUR hiker model
3- Extra eyeglasses
4- Extra prescrition medications
5- Potable aqua tabs
6-Leatherman tool - many models to choose from. Buy a quality tool!
Essential features are blade, can opener, pliers, wire cutters and file
7- Insect repellant
8- Hand sanitizer
9- 9 mm pistol or .45 cal. semiautomatic
10- Pistol shotshells for small game
11- Non hybrid vegetable seeds - choose easiest to grow for your area -
12- Mousetraps (2) - yes, for mice! They will chew through packs and clothing, eat you out of house and home then pee in everything they don't eat! They also carry deadly Hantavirus.
13- Fishing hooks and line
14- Sewing kit
15- First Aid kit - SEE BELOW
16- Plastic canteen (2)
17- Canteen cup (stainless steel) (2)
18- Edible Wild Plants book (peterson's field guide)-available used at Amazon.com
19- Emergency space blanket (2)
20 -Trioxane fuel tabs
21- Gerber sportsman's saw
22- Mora knife and sheath
23- Bic lighter,
Lansky field knife sharpener
Waterproof matches
24- Magnesiun fire starter
25- Maglite flashlights with spare batteries
26- Nylon rain poncho NO PVC or rubberized
27- Bandana
28- Camouflague Headnet
29- Spare socks
30- Cordage 50' each type- parachute cord and spiderwire™
31- Compass

Small Bottle multivitamins
Maps
6 various size heavy duty ziplock bags
2 waterproof stuff sacks
3 black plastic heavy duty garbage bags

ALSO:
Food - Dried, several pounds of each - jerky, nuts, rice, dried fruit, granola, tea (MRE's are too bulky)
Small bottle of salad vinegar - Wild greens are a substantial portion of a foraged diet and a little vinegar goes a long way towards making them more palatable.
Monocular or binoculars
Pistol ammuntion - 100 rounds
Ruger 10/22 rifle with 4x scope - Due to physical limitations, weight is the primary consideration for me. . 22 ammo is very light, so I can easily carry 500 rounds.
Subsonic ammunition is extremely quiet and I pack 100 rounds of these also.

Clothing
Hat, boonie folding type
Wool watch cap
Gloves
1 set medium weight polypropylene thermal underwear
Spare Clothing - pants, 2 shirts, 2 pr underwear, 2 pr socks, fleece pullover

Personal Care Items
Spare pair of eyeglasses
Toothbrush
toothpaste
Soap
Comb or brush
Nail Scissors or clippers
Small mirror

First Aid Kit
Extra prescription medications
Povidine-Iodine wipes
Alcohol Wipes
Antiseptic Cream
Acetaminophin
Aspirin
Goody's powders
Bandages
BandAids
Pain Medications - Percocet, Darvocet, Vicodin (whatever you can get )
Sinus relief pills
Eyedrops
Dental repair Kit (for making temporary fillings)
Tweezers
Moleskins for foot blisters
Small tube of vaseline

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Great responses!! Keep them coming!

A whistle: All purpose attention grabber, distress beacon.

I agree, I don't think people realize how life saving one could be.

Anything solar I agree with! It's good to have that type of technology available.

What you need depends on WHERE you are and WHAT SEASON you are going out in.

Couldn't agree with you more Asktheanimals; and by the looks of it you wrote the book on survival!!
JK thanks for the post!

Okay so we know what we want to take with us when SHTF - now I have another concern for everyone out there:

When SHTF will they close roads, highways, and access points out of the cities?

My concern is that we are prepping for outdoor survival in whatever location "that is not your home" when the time comes. I do believe that farthest away from mass population the better survival rate. But what if we can't get there in time?

Also on the same note, is it better to hold up in one spot; home, woods, city, etc. or is better to keep moving to different locations?

Thanks everyone for posting, this always an important topic.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by gravitybender]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Ah yes the "Everything You Need Swiss Knife" that fits conveniently on the top of your car!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You have a real good list going there. You even thought of some things I haven’t.

But I would not use the pistol shotshell for small game. Keep the chambered round of your pistol as a shotshell round when in the wilderness. This is useful for defense against venomous snakes. Even up here in the north where I live we have the “timberland rattler” (I have never actually seen one, but supposedly they are out there) not as venomous as a diamond back, but I still wouldn’t want to get bit.

Shotshell causes too much damage, and not enough penetration. Use your Ruger .22 for small game. Anything from squirrels to coyotes, it’ll get the job done without wasting as much meat.

Edited to add P.S.

This is for the OP: This is my list. I forgot to add a few things when I was making it, and didn't remember them until it was too late for an edit. but it is fairly complete.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-7-2009 by NRA4ever333]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

Thanks gravitybender, I hope people find my list helpful. It's for an indefinite stay in the wilderness. I've had many years of primitive skills training and I can get by without everything but a knife and water filter should I be forced to. Every item in my kit adds to my ability to survive, but if you have it - why go without it?

BTW NRA4EVR - If I run across a snake I'll be happy because that means "dinner!", alot of the stuff you'll find yourself eating in survival situations isnt very tasty and snake actually does taste "alot like chicken"lol. It;s true.

You brought up some very important questions about where to go to try to survive, etc. I have several different plans for different scenarios.

For instance let's say they declare martial law due to the economy. I know it's only a matter of time before they come knocking on my door to look for firearms and I don't want to argue with these jackboots so I will be long gone. I've already staked out several wilderness areas I would go to. I have maps of them all plus a few things buried for future emergency use. i also have a few friends who are going by these same plans and we will be looking for each other there if the SHTF. Roads may be closed so I'll go by backroads and take mountainbikes should road travel be impossible.

Scenario 2; I live in the suburbs of a major city. lets say things get out of hand with gangs roaming around and looting going on. I can stay home, fortify my windows with 3/4 plywood thats been precut to fit and install it with my cordless drill which I keep charged up. I would also fill every tub and sink with water at the first sign of trouble (water and electric wold be cut off along with communications). Since I cannot keep watch 24/7 I would set up some perimeter alerts or serious boobytraps if need be. I can't stress enough the need for firearms and a small supply of ammunition to keep you and your loved ones safe. I went out today and bought another 200 rounds of 9mm, 500 22.cal and some buckshot as well. Stores still have ammo but i dont know how long that will last.

I would recommend developing 2 sets of plans - 1 for staying at home during a crisis and another for abandoning home and taking your chances in the woods. If you know and trust your neighbors then great, you will band together and increase your odds. Surviving in the woods will depend greatly on your ability to not be seen, heard or tracked, thus smaller groups may fare better outdoors.

handy items for home might include:
Firearms - shotgun or pistol best for home defense
several hundred rounds for above
Canned/dry foods
oil lamps
Window bars or plywood
Reinforcement for your doors
emergency radio with crank power - you may only get propaganda stocked medicine chest
non-hybrid vegetable seeds (even if you dont have room to grow they may be extremely valuable trade items
non-powered hand tools - saws, drills, planers, etc
Board games and a deck of cards.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pamie
food, water, silver, dog food, TP

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Pamie]

Why silver and dog food?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I would take seeds, some food, a sword (gunpowders gota run out sometime), and I could just scavenge the rest from whoevers left after I wait it out.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I know this post is a year old but i think in the light of everything that is happening it is a good topic for discussion and very relevant so I would like to add to this discussion my idea of a survival kit. I live in maryland and it is summer time here right now but winter here is very bitter and i am going to include items i intend on taking my through the long haul as well as items that might go a little faster (consumables). before I begin my list i have to say after reading through various post i feel inspired by some of the supply lists so if you see some of your items here either i thought of them previously or thought your item was important.

1.Bowie knife with saw on reverse side of blade (knife is a must and the saw is nice)
2.slingshot (for small game so not to waste ammunition)
3.hammer axe combo tool (the combo tools are nice to cut down on weight)
4.sharpening stone (obvious use)
5.fire starter flint stone(not the small ones but a larger one like the one HERE for longevity)
6.wool Blanket
7. shiny thermal blanket (for use with dehydrating food and keeping you warm)
8. water proof boots w/ change of socks
9.tin canteen (for boiling and storing water)
10. shotgun w/sufficient slug and bird shot (this is the only fire arm i am trained in and the firearm is versitile enough for both large game and bird hunting)
11. 400 multivitamins (their small enough to carry large amounts and could prove useful to have enough for atleast one year)
12. cover-alls (such as the one HERE for keeping warm in the winter and night)
13. bottle of petrol jelly (for treating burn,chapped skin, cuts, and scrapes)
14. bandages(both wraps and adhesive)
15. antiseptic such as alcohol or iodine
16. a multi tool (something with a pair of pliers, wire cutters, can opener, screw driver, small knife but the more the better like this HERE)
17. as much food and water as i can carry
18. Guide to edible plants and bugs
19. map and compass (waterproof map and compass preferable for navigation)
20. 50 ft Nylon String(525 lb workload like this oneHERE)

I tried to consider what I would need and tried to find tools that could solve more than one need to cut down on the weight i would need to carry and I would try to find the most durable lightweight items to take as the lighter my load the better. also I did not specify how much ammunitions as i am unsure what i would need (as i am a pretty proficient hunter and generally need only one slug to take down an animal) I would simply stockpile as much as possible

Edit: to add Nylon rope

[edit on 25-5-2010 by knowonder]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowonder
11. 400 multivitamins (their small enough to carry large amounts and could prove useful to have enough for atleast one year)

I never thought of having a good supply of multivitamins. What a great idea!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have been having some thoughts on the Brook & Hunter Premium Mo-Tool Axe.

But I have some reservations, first and foremost it is just a multi-tool. I am a strong advocate of having the right tool for the job and multi-tools sacrifice function for portability. And yes, I do have my favorite can't live without multi-tool as well

But my question is would this be an improvement over the old fence pliers or a hindrance? Would I fence pliers and a small hatchet be a better option in the long run? Given that the cutting head on this is fairly small since the overall length noted in the comments is about 6 inches.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Personally, I think the bulkiness of it is more of a hindrance than a benefit (as far as survival situations go). The hammer head, in this sort of situation, seems unnecessary for the most part (to me).

I'd rather have a classic pliers/etc multi-tool than that thing. It is pretty cool though. Haha.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

interesting tool that is... i think it looks like it is trying to be too much.. besides the generic multi-tool i think combos should be limited to not affect the use. like the hammer axe. (with the pliers)

reply to post by Neodoxa

Thanks i actually thought saw it in an earlier post and thought it would be vital especially if i wanted to live on scarce food for a long time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join