It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overzealous mods

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We'd rather not. After an audit of the logs, a solid percentage of in-bound users from Google searchs access posts over a year old... our legacy content is what brings people to us.

Why should we remove this valuable legacy of important content simply to accomodate current members who prefer to make their posts unecessarily large?

I understand. I'm the same with my forum. I hate to remove valuable posts that may contain useful knowledge. That does create a dilemna, since most forums aren't made to use gigantic databases without slowing down considerably. Mine is only about 180M, so I have awhile before I have to worry about it, I suppose. I do know that pruning will be necessary when it gets unbearably slow, someday. I wonder what the largest db size is, that can still run relatively smooth?

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Come on, this really isn't about 20 points, is it?

Not at all. I could care less about points, really. I haven't used them for anything except warnings deductions in ages.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So here we are discussing the problem of excessive quoting, and taking the simple time to modify your post for efficiency... and you quote my quote of your quote. amazing [shaking head] pounding head against wall

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sorry, but if you're that worried about 61 characters, you need some kind of stress management.
Just so you know, every single time I edit, I remove the multiple edit notices at the bottom. Does that make up for my occasional mistakes?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
...because I'm beginning to feel like an ATS enemy, instead of a regular member.

Well this is definately the way to go about not making an enemy out of yourself.

You're sort of defeating your own purpose... saying that Mods are to strict, then saying things like, 'See?! This is the attitude I'm talking about!' when they are lax. Make up your mind, man.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Now here's a novel idea. I got a warn last week, REALLY earned that one, I didn't even remember posting it, u2u'd the mod., he pointed it out, I read it, accepted it, and took it. Use the u2u process, you don't need threads to deal with this type of problem.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You also don't need warnings, in most of these cases. Most of the time, I'd be happy to edit my post, if you just ask.
See, if I had any idea that you guys were getting so freaked out about the quotes in the first place, I might've been happy to accomodate. It's the way you went about notifying (and penalizing) me that just didn't seem right. It seems so "out of the blue" sometimes. I sure didn't see that one coming.

link   

Originally posted by intrepid you don't need threads to deal with this type of problem.
Well... what fun is that? There's no public drama! No "airing of grievances" in a bandwidth-wasting multi-page post where everyone with a penchant for disruption and distraction as a free chance to run up, ring the doorbell, say "me too" and run away. blah [Edited on 10-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

link   

Not at all. I could care less about points, really. I haven't used them for anything except warnings deductions in ages.
That's good, I'm glad to hear it.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So here we are discussing the problem of excessive quoting, and taking the simple time to modify your post for efficiency... and you quote my quote of your quote.
You do realize, Satyr, that you can edit the quotes before you post them, right? It takes a little effort, but I find it nice to be able to only quote the part of the person that I'm quoting that is relevant to what I have to say.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yeah, I did need the warn. It was seriously slamming another member, coincedently in a thread dissing the mods. The point was that it was handled through the u2u process, I didn't take it personally. It's done.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I know all about editing quotes. But, sometimes, when I'm at work, like now...I try to sneak in a quick post and I may be rather rushed. If you'll notice, I'm a master of dividing quotes into portions. I do it religiously. That's one of the reasons I was rather surprised to be warned about it.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

...I'm a master of dividing quotes into portions. I do it religiously...
Yeah, it's fun, isn't it?

Damn, I almost could've been warned for short-posting for that one, but now that I've added all this extra stuff about short-posting, I am immune! HA!

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Oh yeah, I know all about editing quotes. But, sometimes, when I'm at work, like now...I try to sneak in a quick post and I may be rather rushed.

*shaking my head...*

You know, I tried that in court and I didn't get out of the speeding ticket either. I know all about the speed limit judge, but when I am late for work...I may be rather rushed. That officer with the radar gun seemed so out of the blue....

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Sorry, but I couldn't help but notice the linked image at the bottom of the main forum page, describing a near imminent drama event!
Can you guess which thread it links to?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
IN a nutshell, here is the whole problem 'behind the problem':

Not only am I a mod, but also an admin of my own board. I've probably had 3 real complaints in 3 years. I'm pretty good at handling those types of situations, without making people feel victimized, or hounded. That's the point I'm trying to make here. Boards run alot smoother when members don't feel threatened. It's really not worth hounding your members all the time for little BS things.

seekerof

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Satyr

You're right, some Mods really DO not like you

But I'm with the ones who think this thread is useless, if you tought you had ennemies on here, you're just gonna make more of 'em with thread like theses.

Just my opinion, hope you don't take offense at what I said, I think you're usually a good poster and I happen to found your opinion interesting most of the time.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Look, I don't mind the slap on the hand...
I've been warned; I've had points taken away, but sometimes, if it's on a topic where I post A LOT of stuff, sometimes seperate posts wind up on the same page, and I can't figure out which one the mod's fussing about. (If not all of them.) I don't like changing what I say in case someone's fussing about me, later on but before I edited, and their complaint makes no sense after I'm done editing.

If you want to penalise me, fine, then tell me the direct Post Number, as well as the poor little thread's name. I CAN'T FIX WHAT I CAN'T FIND, and I would like to be concise, if I can help it. (I had ignorantly deleted the last one I got without fixing it because I didn't know what to do with it. Rmember, I'm really new, and this is the only board I've ever posted on.) Come on, guys, you know which one you are slapping me on the wrist for, so do so.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Seems like every day or two, someone just HAS to air their dirty laundry.
**sigh**
I've gotten a few warnings myself, but I decided to deal with it. What good does it do to make these issues public. This trend toward posting grievances really should end.
It does nothing good for ATS or its many, many members.

Satyr, I just don't think this is a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
The larger the forum, the more you need to adhere to guidelines. Can you imagine the pandemonium that would be created if everyone just posted what they thought.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Okay... here's the deal... Now everyone knows, as a policy, we ask that members make the effort to limit the quoting of posts to the minimum amount needed to make your point. To keep the threads optimized and readable! If too many of you can't keep this under control, we'll simply take away the convenience of the QUOTE button, and get even more strict with our reminders. I'd really be sorry if our staff had to focus on such menial tasks that should normally be part of good discussion board manners, but if we need to, we will. Thread locked. Move on.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Just needed to add this.

jlc163, the link in the u2u you recieve should automatically direct you to the post in question. (Using an anchor like #pid542275 at the end of the url). You browser may not support this, but once the thread is loaded the post in question should be right there at the top of your screen. If it isn't working for you please feel free to respond to the staff member in question to help clarify. We really aren't monsters, as much as people act like we are (or as much as Bob might smell like it).

Satyr, I'm sorry if you feel upset that you got a big quote warning, and its probably just unlucky that you got pinged for your first ever. The thing is, there are simply far too many active members for staff to have any chance of knowing everyones posting history. The board you admin has 289 members, ATS on average gets 6-7 times that number in posts in a 24 hour period. It is a completely different kettle of fish. There is no way any staff member could be familiar with all active members. All we ask is that you refrain from doing things that have been specifically and repeatedly mentioned.

Garon, there hasn't really been that many threads of this nature recently, just the thing is, for whatever reason, most people choose not to use the complaint function when discussing such things. So instead of initiating a level-headed discussion, all it achieves is to create a soapbox for a minority of people to whine about this that or the other. Percentage-wise, from my personal experience, the vast majority of times a 1liner or bigquote button is used, the response from the member is productive. Ranging from apologies (which is rather embarrassing as its not really something that requires an apology), light-hearted replies 'oops' 'doh' 'you got me
', or requests for clarification and discussion of the post in question.

Now, apologies for the rant, I figured if I was going to unlock it to post I might as well make it a huge post.

But finally now, the main point I intended on adding when I first saw this thread, the worst of all big quote violations, are the ones where people quote the entire post immediately preceding their own. Especially when its a huge post, and the response is minimal. Those are the ones that will be pinged every time.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled locking.

<< 1  2   >>

join