It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overzealous mods

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't normally make a habit of quoting an entire post. Rarely, if ever, have I over-quoted. Yet, I get this "slap on the wrist" U2U the very first time I do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of being a mod/admin knowing when to let things slide? Shouldn't only repeat offenders be penalized and/or hassled? I believe you need to lay down some better guidelines for your mods. They're taking the rules much too literally, and in doing so, are being rather unreasonable.

Thank you for your consideration.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... dude... that's a pretty flagrant violation of the "big quote" rule. When people complained about the penalty of 50 points... I reduced it to 20 points... but still we see complaints. Honestly... is it so hard to consider the reader when creating a new post? After all, you did have to scroll past all of that to write your response.
[Edited on 10-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The entire thing fits in my page view. I don't even have to scroll to see it! What are you talking about? That's not even that big of a post, and if you look around, you'll probably find that it's the longest one I've ever quoted, all in one shot. Haven't you ever replied to a post in which you really couldn't decide exactly which part you're replying to? Some posts are more of a general overview. That one qualifies, IMO.

Like I said, overzealous.
A text post that size isn't going to increase your precious database size even noticeably...especially just one. It might have been a year before you'd see me quote anything that big again, if ever.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Are the point that BIG to you? Give me a break.

Knocking on the Mods all the time is getting OLD.

It happens so often I think these people are staven for attention.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'll tell you, Cobra, the only reason I'm knocking the mods, is because I'm beginning to feel like an ATS enemy, instead of a regular member. It's getting ridiculous.
I'm not that bad, and it's getting to the point where a day without some kind of warning is a rarity.
Being constantly hounded isn't my idea of a good time either.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Satyr, were you replying to the ENTIRE quote? Or, just to a few paragraphs?
Methinks it was considered overlong because of its many paragraphs (ideas).

I THINK the idea of short quotes is to pick out the part of the reply you are specifically addressing. Quote it and make yor reply.
That would make the thread flow more smoothly

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Its not just to you. All of it........... Cry babies..........

I know you people are scared to death to do this kind of thig at work, or another type of intreaction, why here?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Let's consider how frequent these types of posts are becoming. I think someone needs to take a long hard look at what certain mods are doing and how they are doing it. This type of post is becoming a weekly occurance and from DIFFERENT established members of the board. Something that should maybe be looked into is all i am saying.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I THINK the idea of short quotes is to pick out the part of the reply you are specifically addressing. Quote it and make yor reply.
That would make the thread flow more smoothly

And normally, I do. One time, I was indecisive, and I get hounded.
Like I said, it's not as if I'm a repeat offender. I know Banshee hates me, and apparently can't wait to hand out more punishment.
Lighten up a bit, is all I'm asking. If you want me gone, don't beat around the bush...just let me know. I'm sick of the BS little mod scoldings every time I sneeze. I won't hang around if I'm going to be the target of pissed off mods. The only reason they're pissed off at me in the first place, is because I got pissed off at them after being warned excessively. (IMO) I don't enjoy bitching, and I don't enjoy being bitched at. Some of the most successful boards I've ever seen have some of the most passive mods. They do what they need to, and no more. You guys should follow that example. It's just getting a bit weird, IMO. Everyday, ATS seems to have a new warning.

Garon, most of these threads get shot down and blatantly ignored. That's why they're becoming more and more common. Many of them end up just getting locked.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The forum staff are doing their job. No forum staff is perfect so they are going to make little mistakes. No one is perfect and if I or you Satyr were mods we would do something that might be a little harsh. The forum staff is doing a great job and make small mistakes every once and while. Like you said Satyr what you did was a one time thing, and the mod that warned you, when it might have been a little harsh, was a one time thing.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Satyr,
WHAT YOU SAID (I prefer not to quote you at this point)

I get what you are saying. I quoted someone, It was a short post, less than a full screen, much less.

And I am aware of excessive quoting. But this time I made no edit to the quote to shorten it. My slap on the wrist was immediate, It made me wonder if this board has a script running against the quoting that is looking for those who make no edit to the quotes.

I understand the need to limit repetitious text, but
I was pretty surprised that I was in violation, for such a short quote.

On the other hand. It's pretty simple to downgrade the rating of a thread where you were slapped. If you aren't
happy with the experience within a given thread, rate it with a 1 or a 2. Thats what the rating system is about.
Right MODs?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
The forum staff are doing their job. No forum staff is perfect so they are going to make little mistakes. No one is perfect and if I or you Satyr were mods we would do something that might be a little harsh. The forum staff is doing a great job and make small mistakes every once and while. Like you said Satyr what you did was a one time thing, and the mod that warned you, when it might have been a little harsh, was a one time thing.

Not only am I a mod, but also an admin of my own board. I've probably had 3 real complaints in 3 years. I'm pretty good at handling those types of situations, without making people feel victimized, or hounded. That's the point I'm trying to make here. Boards run alot smoother when members don't feel threatened. It's really not worth hounding your members all the time for little BS things.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
One thing that annoys me with these threads is the blatant @$$ kissing that immeadietly occurs when someone complains about a mod. Every Single Time someone complains someone else has to show up with a brown nose.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon
One thing that annoys me with these threads is the blatant @$$ kissing that immeadietly occurs when someone complains about a mod. Every Single Time someone complains someone else has to show up with a brown nose.

No #! What the hell is with these people? They hang out here just to defend the mods?
Doesn't it just seem like ATS wants to treat us like children? Detention for you!
Maybe that's what rubs me wrong, here. It's definitely something.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
To start off I'd like to object to the ass kissing remark made by Garon. The idea behind defending someone, I always thought, was that you agreed with their belief or idea, thus, by defending a mod, you're merely saying you agree with their policies.

Secondly, I prefer strict mods than lax mods which give people the impression they can get away with stuff. As SO said, keep the reader in mind. By punishing us for making it hard for the people who read the threads when you post a huge quote that is mostly likely to have been read before, or could easily be linked to an external web page, I don't think that they're doing anything wrong.

Go ahead and call me an ass kisser if you must, but may the non-existant God have mercy on your souls (that's right, I'm athiest, can you tell?)

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
You can say what ever they want. I know this, someone hasnt been read U2Us.

To have this kind of lash back, I must have struck a nerve.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
...but isn't part of being a mod/admin knowing when to let things slide? Shouldn't only repeat offenders be penalized and/or hassled?
How can you be sure that they haven't already let things slide? If they let it slide, that would kind of entail NOT warning you, right?

I've been warned for cursing, short posts, overquoting, making passes at mods, overquoting B-movies and cheesy song lyrics, and taking my horrible stand-up act to the forums. You know what I did in these cases? I sucked it up, u2u'd the mod warning me, and as a result, I've gotten to know them to the extent that I can tell that they are real, diverse, intelligent, and oh yeah, very human people. I think it's also important to note that they volunteer their time to ATS because they are dedicated to the cause. They issue warnings to make sure that ATS can be the best that it can be. And now that there are 60+ new members a day, you could understand, if you tried, just how difficult that could be.

So here's what you do. You take your slap on the wrist, and if you care, just be sure to be a good example for the newer members, so they don't think it's the thing to do to get on the mods backs about a trivial warning. They have enough to deal with.

It's not all about you, man...

DeltaChaos

P.S. I was really only warned for cursing, short posts, and overquoting, not those other things. There's still time...

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There is a difference between blatant azz kissing and supporting a policy or idea. A Big difference.

But that is neither here nor there. My main point is that, if i was an admin, or a mod for that matter, and I saw these posts becoming more and more frequent, it would concern me and might well warrant a closer look. That's all.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
"was pretty surprised that I was in violation"

The big quote 'warn' isn't really a warn, see it as a notification of your behaviour.
The big quote warn is simply to stimulate members not to quote entire posts, but small parts of posts. The penalty is only 20 ATS points, as SO pointed out.

What are you bitching about?

"I believe you need to lay down some better guidelines for your mods." There are guidelines. We're just strict on the big, USELESS quotes.

"I'm beginning to feel like an ATS enemy" "Being constantly hounded " "Doesn't it just seem like ATS wants to treat us like children?"

I will not seriously react on this, it's impossible

***SHAKES HEAD***

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon
My main point is that, if i was an admin, or a mod for that matter, and I saw these posts becoming more and more frequent, it would concern me and might well warrant a closer look.

But wouldn't the only way for you to become a mod in the first place, be to agree to uphold what's already been put into place as policies? If you didn't agree to them, then you wouldn't be a mod.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join