It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are so many "poor" Americans SO FAT?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Lets talk about what we simply throw away

food waste usa

The new study, from the University of Arizona (UA) in Tucson, indicates that a shocking forty to fifty per cent of all food ready for harvest never gets eaten. Timothy Jones, an anthropologist at the UA Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology, has spent the last 10 years measuring food loss, including the last eight under a grant from the US department of agriculture (USDA). Jones started examining practices in farms and orchards, before going onto food production, retail, consumption and waste disposal.

worldwide

That's the same figure for the rest of the world...

Global food production could be DOUBLED by simply managing it more efficiently... we aren't even talking about yet, what we waste and throw away

Half the worlds food goes in the Garbage due to simple bad management

Now lets Examine what we produce...

Milk

Just as an example MILK, NY state produces enough Milk for the entire USA, as a Nation we produce enough Milk to feed the entire world 2x over...

Where does it go? allot of it gets thrown away, allot of it is made into cheese that ends up rotting on shelves and is disposed of...

That's just Milk

In the USA we produce on avg 33% of the worlds food
But in some areas we vastly exceed what could be used to feed the entire world, Grain, Corn, Milk... excess of near or double what would be needed

Factor in the 50% waste now and you will see despite the propaganda the real issue is MONEY.... evil Money, Business, waste and greed, America alone could comfortably assure no one on Earth Ever starves

But greed and waste gets in the way

and... the Fear of out leaders that of people could "just Eat" at will they wouldn't be slaves anymore....

Technology?

It's the simplest stuff ever... now that i've addressed waste, lets look at EXISTING TECHNOLOGY

America... Can create an Oil Pipe line from Alaska to So cal

Russia Can do the Same to Europe

Both Northern America and Canada and Russia have many, many x the water that would be needed to irrigate the world

So.... why isn't there a Russian Pipeline to the Mideast for WATER

Why isn't there a Pipeline of Water to the SW and Mexico creating Billions of sq acres of viable farmland?

The answer:

Slavery

There is NO Global Food Crisis ... it's enslavement, it's about Money...

It's estimated that Africa can produce with just it's own Water.... as much food + 50% as America...

We sell them Guns, where's the Farming aid, where's the water...

When enough people starve America and Russia will get rich selling it... the whole thing is contrived

TECHNOLOGY?

Irrigation and PIPES?

How about desalinization... how much water could we desalinate in Africa or even here if we dedicated ONE Nuclear reactor to the process?

Enough for every person on EARTH to have bottled water forever...

So the DROUGHT is a technological Myth entirely...

They just don't do it... and as I showed above we have enough food for the world as it is...without even doing these things

NEW TECHNOLOGY

Now lest get into what we CAN do... that might be possible if we tried at all with existing technology

vertical Food Towers

VF

Amazing huh... 100% green energy fueled too... how much more food per acre could this produce... the water thing is an utter myth... Imagine instead of the rain forest being cut away... if the amazon was simply lined with these for a mile out...

Enough food to feed the world in a conservative estimate of 5x current need... Just from one river location

add these methods

Fish Farming

eco agriculture

sufficent system farming

America can feed the world my friend... Now, with little actual innovation and that's just us...

Vertical Farms powered by eco methods or even nuclear given that they are enclosed... Imagine it, it's very easy...

Half the worlds food rots away

we already have virtually unlimited energy and... we can pipe oil but not water?

NO...

we broke the technology decades ago... we haven't had the NEED really until now, and we are busy worrying about money not people

WE have the capacity to produce food for the world many x over... it's all nonsense and profits...

Don't allow yourself to be enslaved

Don't let them convince you welfare people are bums... 3% of the social services budget in this country feeds people... a Trillion goes to weapons of destruction, there is no need to raise a single tax there is no need to let people starve...

It's just... give us food and you give us our freedom...

so it rots...

they let it rot...

Vertical food towers... giant Green houses LOL... this isn't even innovation... we haven't bother to change food production methods for hundreds of years and update them...

It's all 100% a crock, a game to keep us in check, to make money... control the food and water control the world

You should be mad at people who get food stamps you should DEMAND them for everyone...

But the ANIMAL... inside us doesn't believe it...we defy LOGIC to prove what our Animal instincts lead us to feel.... food is scarce, we must hold territory...

They take advantage of our primitive nature to keep us enslaved by it... must work... "time to make the doughnuts"

But it's not real

neither is money...

Production capacity isn't even tapped...

40 million Americans telemarketing crud and work in fast food because.... we don't even need them to do real jobs all the cars all the stuff and all the food could be produced by.... maybe 10% of us worldwide... there is not a single rational worry we have....

But they play on it... because our bodies still think we are in a primeval forest and we EXPECT there to be no food...

But America alone produces right now...2x the Milk the entire world could drink yearly

They are Yahoos They say the "Thing which is Not"

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Great Answer. I dont know if I agree with it all, but you have given me lots of info to research which is more than I can say for those Zeitgiesters.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Devolved the thyroid can be tested. The function of the thyroid in weight loss is not arguable. A person without a thyroid will become fat without proper medicine. People with low funtioning thyroids can not eat bread because wheat is not good for the thyroid. Wheat causes hypothyroidal people to develop goiters. For you a whole egg might be a great thing. For smaller thinner ,small boned, people or a fat people eating the whole egg is not so much a good thing. The only way people lose weight is to take in fewer calories than they burn. This is more true for people who are hypothyroidal. It is extremely callous to judge people who may in fact be fat through no fault of their own.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown

Devolved the thyroid can be tested. The function of the thyroid in weight loss is not arguable. A person without a thyroid will become fat without proper medicine. People with low funtioning thyroids can not eat bread because wheat is not good for the thyroid. Wheat causes hypothyroidal people to develop goiters. For you a whole egg might be a great thing. For smaller thinner ,small boned, people or a fat people eating the whole egg is not so much a good thing. The only way people lose weight is to take in fewer calories than they burn. This is more true for people who are hypothyroidal. It is extremely callous to judge people who may in fact be fat through no fault of their own.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll just end the thyroid debate by suggesting to you one hormone of importance, Leptin.

I still don't know why you think whole eggs are bad for some people.

If you eat less than you burn, your body will adjust by slowing down the metabolism. Why starve yourself when you can simply remove the mechanism that causes fat deposition. Insulin.

Fat cells aren't dump trucks. Hormones regulate fat storage, not caloric quantity.

Why the hell do you think I'm judging people? And callous?

-Dev

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tartarspoon
reply to post by grapesofraft

I agree, these days you have to shop wisely. I can feed my family for $100 a week easy, with no complaints from the family. I on the other hand can live on a few items, Bread, peanut butter, water and a knife. My wife and kids will hate me though because they want a variety.

It seems so many have given up trying and give in to convenience and laziness. Twinkies and tv dinners taste so much better than a salad and grilled chicken breast. It's a luxury to some and many look forward to eating something tasty after depressing day of doing nothing.

eeeeeeeewwww I beg to differ, tv dinners are awful, and that grilled chicken salad has a lot more taste; homemade is always better!!!! As for twinkies, I like em but don't overdo it. My kids and I basically we get one box of snack(sweet) a month, last time I only had one the whole time we had them, I'd just rather make a cake or brownies or cookies.

And to all those who say fresh doesn't keep as well, well yes I just had this problem the other day, had to throw out all my broccoli, I was like "UM DUH!" I should have cooked it then froze it, One way of keeping it longer, also onions and celery can be pre chopped and frozen (Make it quicker to prep some meals even.) If they're not working they can take the time to do this. Tomatoes can be boiled till skin POPS then jarred in any mason jar and vacuum sealed and kept for years. You can make jams and jellys out of fresh any fruit, even jalepenos. Etc. There's always ways. And Mason jars are pretty cheap to buy.

I'll give you an example, I went shopping and a freind needed a lift to go also, she was on foodstamps me, I was paying cash. I got food for twice as much time(that means it'd last for twice as long) and ended up spending half of what she did. She asked me "where did you find that stuff?" I told her and she said next time I am going to follow you around the store, and she did, and she didn't run out of food so quickly. As for sugary cereals that are 2 bucks a large bag...HUH???? I never see that, all cereals are between 3 bucks and 5 bucks everywhere I have been the sugary ones and the cheerios with no flavor period! So given the choice why not buy the cheerios? Even the honey nut which has lower sugar content(though it still has some sugar) And is the same cost as lucky charms...actually cheerios often times is cheaper as kix is too and my kids love kix.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Well good for you to take the time to feed your family well and prepare them dinner and not just throw them another Ho-Ho to shut them up.

It is good to know that there are still some decent people left in the world.

[edit on 7/31/2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Thank you. Nevermind misread your post...uh, duh lol

sheesh this weather must've melted my brain...yeah well I was a nursing student and nutrition was my favorite part of the course, food is my passion.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
To answer the ops question, its not cheap to eat well.

Thats it.

Sometimes you eat what you have. It may not be the wisest thing to eat, but its all you have.

Most well to do people are skinny. How come that is? Because they can buy all the proper foods, thats why.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
To answer the ops question, its not cheap to eat well.

Thats it.

Sometimes you eat what you have. It may not be the wisest thing to eat, but its all you have.

Most well to do people are skinny. How come that is? Because they can buy all the proper foods, thats why.

EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The body does adjust which is why exercise is so important. Weight lifting also helps the metabolism. Muscle burns more calories than does fat. None the less no one will tell those wanting to be slimmer to not cut excess calories. Without restricting the diet, exercise will not be of much help.

Two egg whites have the same protien as one egg but half the calories. From a fat loss point of veiw, egg whites are supperior to eggs.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I realize you're on a quest for attention, but let's keep the backhandedness to a minimum, especially when it's just one line. It's your thread afterall, and we all really want you to get the most out of it.

Peace

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Thanks for your encouragement Dr. Love. I apologize for the one liner, but I thought it got my point across. Do not worry about me though, I have gotten plenty out of this thread. It is not really the attention that I seek.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well, I read most of the posts on this thread and I must say I agree with modusvindictus. There is way too much worrying about the lifestyle of other people. If you have not walked in their shoes, then how can you know what it is like to be them and know what they need. I grew up lower middle class (though not on welfare) and we ate basic foods beans, rice, biscuits, garden vegetables (grew our own), and occasionally chips and junk food. I feel sure that many people don't even have it that good. What is poverty like? I do not know, but I will not look down on someone because they do not look a certain way, because they own a DVD player or any of the nonsense that has been posted about fat people.

Some of the posts are almost viscious, but I would be willing to bet that those posts are from a younger generation than mine. Please don't grow old with that attitude.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'm suprise most people commenting in this thread never ever watch Independent Lens on PBS. Yea, you know the NWO government funded network. LOL

They showed this movie called "King Corn" and in this film, they show how, and why america is fat.

I've lost weight, about 40 lbs so far and I didn't do it by just working out. My food intake isn't that healthy, I eat whatever and when ever. but I decided to take out some ingredients out of my food. Such As avoiding food products that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. I've taken all process foods out of my diet that have this ingredients.

I'm poor, and I can tell you why were fat. and that is because we can't
afford decent food items. All the cheap stuff has this
ingredient in it. Its just one of the many items that making the World Fat, not just the USA.

Figure this out, they Feed Corn to Cows to fatten them up with in 6 months instead of the 7 years on Grass.

Gee I wonder why America fat.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Wow, I couldn't stand to read the whole thread simply. Unless you have a real physician tell you that you've got a thyroid problem, YOU are fat cause YOU are lazy. And you eat too much. Being poor may directly be a result of no desire to educate yourself. Or maybe you are just LAZY and like the Idea of letting someone else feed you, like the tax payers. Yeah real food may be a little more expensive, but let's be real about it. It IS all about choice. Sorry if anyones feelings were hurt, truth often is painful.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Where did you get your information on hypothyroidism? Hypothyroidism is due to a problem in the pineal gland in the production of thyroid producing hormones. My son has hypothyroidism and takes thyroxine.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join