It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are so many "poor" Americans SO FAT?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

That book I mentioned a few posts up is really good. You should read it.

Basically a writer decided to quit her job and leave home and try to get a job without using any credentials. She wanted to see what it was like to survive on minimum wage.

And basically you can't.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I will check it out. I agree that it would be hard to survive on minimum wage. I actually believe they should create two classes of wages. One for those under 18 where min wage would stay the same, and one for those over 18 where min wage is more of a living wage and tied to inflation.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Well like, my boyfriend is 18 now but he was trying to save up for school by working. Minimum wage for his job is only like $2.50 an hour because he collects tips, but he doesn't really collect enough tips to bring him up to regular minimum wage.

But even on like $7.00 an hour, it's almost impossible. You have to get a car, pay rent, pay for food, sometimes for your work uniform... it's insane.

Let me know what you think of the book. It's really excellent and very well known. Very interesting. She goes through things like having to clean hotel rooms, working in Wal-Mart, all sorts of stuff. And in the book she's trying just to take care of herself. It must be so much harder with kids.

It's non-fiction.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by eradown

So are you trying to say that all the fat people on public assistance have thyroid problems? That is hard to believe.

Thyroid problems are usually misdiagnosed by Doctors as depression or laziness. This is strange because there are many simple tests which can diagnose low functioning thyroids ; usually the patient must demand the test. Even when hypothyroidism is diagnosed it is really hard to find doctors who will prescribe proper dosages of medicine. There is a reluctance among some people to help the obese. Without medicine a hypothyroidal person must exercise four hours a day and eat a high protien low fat diet inorder to lose weight. Where is the time for a life in this? It really is not strange that so many Americans have low funtioning thyroids considering all the flouridated tap water, mercury laced vaccines ,and soy fillers poor Americans put up with.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by anubis9311

I find it hard to believe that a cucumber, or a bag of carrots, or celery costs $3. Even at the expensive grocery in Florida (Publix) a bag of carrots is $1.29. A clery bunch is $1.39, cucumbers are $.50. Brocolli $1.99, apples, grapefruit, potatoes, ear corn $.50 each, Dozen eggs $1.39, Gallon of milk $3.99. Bag of rice $1.99, bag of beans $1.99 and it goes on and on. Good food does not have to be expensive. Even cheaper at a Wal Mart neighborhood market. As far as meat I never have to pay more than $2 per lb of boneless chicken breast or $2 for a pound of ground beef. Can buy 4 salmon filets for $4 all the time. Tuna $.50 to $.75 a can. Maybe I just have it good. i do know welfare/unemployment recipients in florida get less than elsewhere, so even if food is a bit more expensive elsewhere it probably works out pretty evenly.

Anyone who is eating crap food is doing it because they want to. It is not a forced financial choice.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I will read it and tell you what I think. Actually, I think I may have watched an interview with her a while back, but I could be wrong.

I agree it is hard to get by at $7 an hour. The only reason I see to separate 18 is that they say that many seasonal jobs or jobs traditionaly done by teens would be eliminated if the wage raises.. It is just an excuse not to raise it in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I agree with the prices you came back with. I can get a bag of carrots for 99 cents. That is way healthier and way cheaper than buying a bag of chips of similar weight.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by eMachine

Well I am sorry to hear that you do not get enough to eat. Maybe you should get on assistance so you can at least get an education so you can get a higher paying career. I dont really have a problem with people who use it as a leg up. I have a problem with people who think being on assistance is a good career choice. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and good fortune.

Thanks. I'm not hungry though, I eat when I am. And I have no desire to go back to school. I work at home, doing something I enjoy, so I can be with my kids... and consequently, I don't always get as much work done as I would like to. I never want to be morally/ethically (whatever) in debt to the people who are running things.

It's all good.

Yep. Exactly.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Well I appreciate the fact that you have made a choice that is good for your family and you are responsible enough to accept the consequences of your decision. This country needs more people like you.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Your nothing but a bigot and a racist and a troll.

Where are the mods?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

How am I a bigot or a racist? I havent mentioned one thing about race. There are people from every race on public assistance.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Your nothing but a bigot and a racist and a troll.

Where are the mods?

They already moved it to BTS, that's probably the best you can hope for though.

You're probably right though, except for the "racist" part. I've seen "the ghetto" mentioned once or twice, but I don't believe that was the OP. I haven't seen anything else that could be considered racist. All of the welfare recipients I know are white...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well I think it is more racist for someone to assume that all people who live in the ghetto are black than anything I have said. We all know that there are all kinds of races in the ghetto.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well I think it is more racist for someone to assume that all people who live in the ghetto are black than anything I have said. We all know that there are all kinds of races in the ghetto.

That's true too. It is one of those terms that, if something negative is said along with it, people will say it's racism... so I figure if anything were misinterpreted, it had to be that.

Sorry, I have to be observant of "political incorrectness" when I edit things other people have written (for work). :p

I like this thread though, because I'm sick of people who are overweight always telling me I need to gain weight... They would get mad at me if I told them to lose weight, yet I'm not supposed to be offended.

Like Raven said though, it's hard for people to live on minimum wage. Another problem is that many jobs that pay minimum wage (gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants) don't hire people full-time unless they're managers.

They'll only give people 20 hours/week so they don't have to pay for benefits etc (I guess that's the reason?). My brother and sister-in-law, along with another couple I know, have part-time jobs and get welfare and money is still tight for them, with kids.

Edited to add:

I love how you didn't deny "trolling"...

[edit on 7/30/2009 by eMachine]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Well I wasnt really directing the comments about some people saying the ghetto is only black people at you. My apologies if it came across that way. I got what you were saying. It was more directed at the guy that called me racist because that is the only thing I thought he could interpret as racism.

As far as trolling goes, I have learned that you will always be called a troll by people who have nothing to say to counter your argument or who disagree.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
From the OP:

Food is not cheap. I work and I would go broke if I had to eat enough each month to maintain a 300lb girth. So how do these "poor" people afford to stay so fat?

Because it's the content, not the quantity, that determines fat deposition. Why are poor people fat? Good question. You might ask why poor mothers in Africa are overfat while their kids are starving to death?

What foods come to mind when you think of "cheap" food?

-Bread
-Potatoes
-Cereal Grains
-Pasta
-Gravy
-Corn

......Comfort Food. Fattening food. Everyone of these are high carbohydrate foods and most are processed.

A single parent working 2-3 jobs will feed his/her children whatever fills them up the cheapest. The aforementioned do this quite well.

Research Shows Rates of Severe Childhood Obesity have Tripled

So, why are they fat? Not because they eat so much, but because they eat carbohydrates that spike blood sugar that triggers insulin secretion. And insulin regulates fat deposition. It's the type, not the quantity, that matters.

This is where it all starts. And unfortunately, it's the beginning of a vicious cycle.

Is it any wonder why poor populations are fatter and sicker their more comfortable counterparts?

Originally posted by eradown

Thyroid problems are usually misdiagnosed by Doctors as depression or laziness. This is strange because there are many simple tests which can diagnose low functioning thyroids ; usually the patient must demand the test. Even when hypothyroidism is diagnosed it is really hard to find doctors who will prescribe proper dosages of medicine. There is a reluctance among some people to help the obese. Without medicine a hypothyroidal person must exercise four hours a day and eat a high protien low fat diet inorder to lose weight. Where is the time for a life in this? It really is not strange that so many Americans have low funtioning thyroids considering all the flouridated tap water, mercury laced vaccines ,and soy fillers poor Americans put up with.

The more these people exercise and the less they eat, the more Hypo their thyroid will be. In most cases, hypothyroidism is a symptom of being fat.

And eating a high protein/low fat diet will have little effect on fat loss.

Originally posted by BenIndaSun

Poor people come in all sizes. Under and over weight. Obese and emaciated. Rich people also come in all sizes. There is no correlation between income level and bmi.

Yes poor people come in all sizes but there is an obvious correlation between income and obesity. I recently read an article in the Dallas Morning News stating that, in the U.S., Obesity is observed in African Americans more so than any other race.......

Blacks Have Highest Obesity Rate, Whites Lowest, CDC Says

“The disparities here are easy to explain,” Katz said. “They’re associated with poverty, less education, areas where you can’t find fresh fruits and vegetables, and some cultural differences.”

Hope that helped.

-Dev

[edit on 30-7-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Thanks for your contribution and the info you laid out so well. I appreciate it. The issue I see though even after reading your post is that people CHOOSE to eat these foods and feed them to their children out of convenience. Why do they need to act out of convenience, it is not like they have a hectic work schedule?

Seems like if you werent working you might find some time to cook your family a nice healthy meal and to go to the library and borrow some books on nutrition instead of sitting on your fat ass watching Oprah and shoving Ho-Ho's down your throat all day.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Healthy food really is more expensive than junk food, though, and much harder to come by.

I think this thread is a tad out of line, personally. It might just be me, though. And I say that fully respecting you.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Well thanks for being so respectful. I will try to do the same.

Ok well healthy food may be a tad more expensive than junk food but.
1. You will eat less because your body will get the nutrition it seeks with healthy food with much less eating than eating junk food will take.
2. These people need to eat less because they are obese.

As far as it being harder to attain that may be true, but lets not forget these people are not working so they should be able to walk a few miles to a store and buy some healthy food. It is a win-win. They get healthy food and they get exercise. All they would need is a cooler and something with wheels that they could use to make bringing the food home a bit easier.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Yes, people do choose to eat those foods. Either because they aren't aware or don't care of their ill effects or because, as raven pointed out, good food is more expensive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join