It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Of Bryan Being Evacuated For Chemical Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

City Of Bryan Being Evacuated For Chemical Fire

cbs11tv.com

Fire broke out at a chemical plant near Bryan, Texas on Thursday and officials evacuated a large area because of the toxic smoke.

Officials are reportedly evacuating the entire city of Bryan because of a fire at a chemical plant believed to contain explosive ammonium nitrate.

Reports from the area say fire officials there are asking all homes and businesses in Bryan to evacuate to College Station, to the south.

The U.S. Census Bureau says Bryan's population is 72,000.
The fire broke out about noon Thursday. Bryan-College Station fire dispatcher Andy Throne says the plume of smoke fr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Throne says no injuries have been reported from the fire, where fertilizer and other chemicals are blended and packaged. But he says an area up to six miles from the plant will be evacuated, including part of northwestern Bryan and a large part of northwestern Brazos County.

The plant is located about three-fourths of a mile west of Bryan.

Ammonium nitrate is a fertilizer, but it can also be used as an explosive. The chemical was the active ingredient in the bomb that destroyed the Oklahoma City federal building in 1995.

Just hoping all my Aggies are safe!!!

Peace!

cbs11tv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Oh that could be very major! I hope that everyone there will be ok and they all get safely away from this and quick, Keeping my ears out on the news wires fro any updates

The city's manager told BNO News that the residue can be harmful and irritating. "We advice people who cannot evacuate to stay indoors and turn off your air conditioning," he said. Some local media outlets reported that the biggest problem was the risk of an explosion, but the city manager did not believe that was accurate.

news.bnonews.com...

[edit on 30-7-2009 by asala]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My mother-in-law lives there...the entire city has been evacuated. AND....now I got "mom" coming to stay the night.

Looks like no one was directly injured...but the particulate matter in the air is still a threat.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Aggie Man - glad you got a visit from your Mother!

The explosion was at 47 and 21 - West of Bryan.

It started at 11:45 AM and is still smoking - though - the smoke is now white which is better than it was before.

The evacuation CURRENTLY is down to three miles around the blast. It changes.

The toxic smoke is the main problem - and the wind is changing almost faster than they report the directions.

The fire started from a spark from a welder.

One of the hospitals has 10 people from this; but, so far none are reported as serious.

If you want to watch the local news (they even post their newscasts online), you can go to www.kbtx.com...

All TV has been pre-empted by the news for hours.

So, everything is fine - have a great visit with your Mom!

join