It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium will prosecute War Criminal for genocide.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgium's supreme appeals court ruled on Wednesday that a genocide lawsuit against Ariel Sharon could go ahead once he no longer enjoyed immunity as prime minister of Israel, the plaintiffs' lawyer said.
The ruling opened the way for survivors of a 1982 massacre of Palestinian refugees to press their case against the Israeli leader, whom they hold responsible for the deaths of hundreds of their kin in Israeli-occupied Beirut.

www.reuters.com...

Perhaps,Ultra could recomend some sights in Belgium for Sharon to visit when he's retired.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You've got my vote!

We should also nail Saddam, even if he is in office!

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If they are going to try Sharon for war crimes,they had better go after Hamas/Arafat as well.Trying to kill all the Jews is also genocide.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well, technically Sharon didn't order the Christian militia's to massacre the Palestinians. He just stood back and allowed it to happen.
The question I would like to ask is; is he the only one to be held accountable ? Surely there were many others who allowed or participated in this massacre.

It's ridiculous really, there's no chance he would ever put himself in a position to be tried in Belgium. The Israeli reaction if it did happen would be intersting o say he least.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't understand M-S,Why would the Israeli reaction be interesting?Surely it's in the interests of the entire international community that any,and all,human rights abusers are brought to book.I know members here have stark differences of opinion but I would of thought we could all agree on that.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
If they are going to try Sharon for war crimes,they had better go after Hamas/Arafat as well.Trying to kill all the Jews is also genocide.

And what do you think that some jews are doing just right now ?

Our gov has voted a new amendment on this law. A council will study if your request is plausible and ok or not.In fact, they fear that the whole world attack the rest of the world in a belgium court!

Those idiots were thinking that they were very smart and progressive with their law, now they are in trouble !

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Somewhat rum, but to be expected after last month�s revision of the socalled "universal jurisdiction" law of 1993.
Interestingly, while Sharon is immune: Amos Yaron, the general who at the time was the commander of Israeli forces in Beirut operations, can be prosecuted.
The old law was used to some effect against four Rwandans for their part in the 1994 massacres.
However, scarcely heavyweight opposition.

One recalls similar nonsense with regard to Spanish courts and Pinochet. And, Castro and Rafsanjani � among others- have been the focus of similar efforts.
This is probably about self-seeking lawyers and the opportunity to cause embarrassment rather than a concern for justice �I fear.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Please, Estragon: enlight me about that 'Spanish nonsense about judging Pinochet' of yours.

I think I didn't understood you fully. I want to believe so.

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 12:47 AM
link   
My Dear MakodFilu,
This was largely the work of the self-seeking Spanish magistrate Judge Baltasar Garzon ( similar events occurred with regard to Galtieri of Argentina)
You may recall that the �Saviour of Chile� was placed under what was in effect house arrest while visiting England, just over two years ago, while a Spanish request for his extradition on war crime trials was considered.
Embarrassment all round (especially to Blair�s government).
It was eventually decided by a Law Lords� ruling that the poor old soul was unfit to plead and off back to Santiago he went.
Full background here:
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 14 2003 @ 05:56 AM
link   
My Dear Estragon

That 'Savior of Chile' of yours was a dictators that is actually being jugded in a Chilean court.

That 'poor man' ordered the execution of thousands of left-thinking people.

That poor old ('and ill') soul recovered vigour when finally arrived to Chile, to found only a tribunal will follow judge Baltasar Garz�n initiated.

Hoping to enlight you.

(BTW, Margaret Thatcher made the laughably comparison between Spain and a 'banana republic'. She was kindly invited to see first hand she was utterly wrong)

top topics

join