It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just consider, where the atoms that make up YOU possibly came from.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins... some Rush song

I had heard once that all of the iron on this planet got here as a result of supernovae....which would mean the very iron in our bodies came from exploding stars...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Your OP asked :

The notion of a fundamental physical unit called 'atom' is really quite a primitive construct first introduced by Indian and Greek philosophers -

Atom

The name atom comes from the Greek, which means uncuttable, something that cannot be divided further. The concept of an atom as an indivisible component of matter was first proposed by early Indian and Greek philosophers.

Source : Wikipedia

Then, much later -

In 1803, English instructor and natural philosopher John Dalton used the concept of atoms to explain why elements always react in a ratio of small whole numbers—the law of multiple proportions—and why certain gases dissolve better in water than others. He proposed that each element consists of atoms of a single, unique type, and that these atoms can join together to form chemical compounds.

The idea of an 'atom is really an exercise in -

Reductionism

... can either mean (a) an approach to understand the nature of complex things by reducing them to the interactions of their parts, or to simpler or more fundamental things or (b) a philosophical position that a complex system is nothing but the sum of its parts, and that an account of it can be reduced to accounts of individual constituents.

A good starting point, perhaps, but by no means the 'real answer' ...

Since western science turned its back on notions such as the aether and phlogiston ( see also, Henry Cavendish ) and became inextricably tangled up with naive and faulty notions such as 'atoms,' we find ourselves today powerless to understand physical phenomena which operate outside of a very narrow range of physical scale.

Important examples are turbulence, viscosity, cold-fusion, and zero-point energy to name only a few ...

In summary, 'atoms,' even if they existed in the way we've all been trained to think of them ( which they certainly don't ), they have nothing to do with 'you,' they only make up your 'gross physical body,' not your consciousness which is 'who' and/or 'what' you really 'are' ...

Hope this helps, vv.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Consciousness is a product of the brain via evolution.We all know that *we* are not atoms as thats at the quantum level.But we are all connected to every other atom..of course that doesn't mean much as to who we are etc except for the cool factor.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by visible_villain

Consciousness is a product of the brain via evolution.We all know that *we* are not atoms as thats at the quantum level.But we are all connected to every other atom..of course that doesn't mean much as to who we are etc except for the cool factor.

Methinks you left out of your post a most important qualifier -

IMHO ...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I do not believe that there exists a "Consciousness" outside of the Brain. The brain is good people. It does all kinds of good stuff.

I AM a Brain. Right now what you are reading is the work of me, TurkeyBurgers, A Brain!

A Brain is typing to you, who are reading this, another Brain.

Do not let a face, or eyes, or ears, or a nose, or a mouth take credit for you.

YOU are a BRAIN. We get ripped off because eyes usually take all of the credit. Sometimes Breasts try and steal the spotlight.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by kiwifoot

Your OP asked :

The notion of a fundamental physical unit called 'atom' is really quite a primitive construct first introduced by Indian and Greek philosophers -

Atom

The name atom comes from the Greek, which means uncuttable, something that cannot be divided further. The concept of an atom as an indivisible component of matter was first proposed by early Indian and Greek philosophers.

Then, much later -

In 1803, English instructor and natural philosopher John Dalton used the concept of atoms to explain why elements always react in a ratio of small whole numbers—the law of multiple proportions—and why certain gases dissolve better in water than others. He proposed that each element consists of atoms of a single, unique type, and that these atoms can join together to form chemical compounds.

The idea of an 'atom is really an exercise in -

Reductionism

... can either mean (a) an approach to understand the nature of complex things by reducing them to the interactions of their parts, or to simpler or more fundamental things or (b) a philosophical position that a complex system is nothing but the sum of its parts, and that an account of it can be reduced to accounts of individual constituents.

A good starting point, perhaps, but by no means the 'real answer' ...

Since western science turned its back on notions such as the aether and phlogiston ( see also, Henry Cavendish ) and became inextricably tangled up with naive and faulty notions such as 'atoms,' we find ourselves today powerless to understand physical phenomena which operate outside of a very narrow range of physical scale.

Important examples are turbulence, viscosity, cold-fusion, and zero-point energy to name only a few ...

In summary, 'atoms,' even if they existed in the way we've all been trained to think of them ( which they certainly don't ), they have nothing to do with 'you,' they only make up your 'gross physical body,' not your consciousness which is 'who' and/or 'what' you really 'are' ...

Hope this helps, vv.

Hi mate, I do appreciate your input, and you are right, but this isn't about the science being strictly correct.

You have to open up your mind and look at the big picture, contemplate the notion, not the way I'm saying it.

Some of the building blocks that make up me, call them whatever you want, label them anything you chose, most certainly have been places I can only imagine.

That's what I'm on about my friend, don't get hung up on being scientifically correct or using the correct terminology, that's not too important when there's a deeper issue to discuss.

All the best, thanks again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join