It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question about views on age.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
i want to start this by saying im not sure if this should go here or in the media section since thats where most people get information about other people and their views from.
But this was a thought thats been with me and has grown a bit everytime someone crosses the road to avoid me or just generally look at me like im about to commit a crime.. the thought is simply "why?"

I'm in my mid-late teens and im sometimes pretty friendly, so im always confused when someone looks at me like that.

i just want to know your thoughts on people of the age group of 15-19, and if you're in that group, why you think people tend to class us as "hoodies" (if you're british, like me) and criminals.

thanks.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by james420]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well hello, James!

Nice OP! S+F'd for you!

I am middle aged and I would just like to say that from my view in this vehicle, I see you as a Human BEing; another Beautiful Aspect of my Original Face. Thank YOU for BEing YOU!

In Lovingkindness

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I understand I have long hair worn in a tail earrings and tatttoos and sometimes people avoid me like I have the plague. It usually doesn't change man I'm in my late 20's it's almost always been that way for me. I'll just say it's all about certain people's perception and what they see doesn't sit right in their minds and they think scumbag or deadbeat or from my personal case this moron customer at a restaraunt where I used to cook called me a hippie. That wouldn't be so bad except later when I wasn't there anymore the same p.o.s. called me that when I was leaving a store and I almost drug him out of his car and beat his sorry ass. You just have to remember though if your a decent person act that way and ignore what these idiots think of you and you'll be the winner because it won't get to you.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

CX

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
No offence James but if people are crossing the road to avoid you, there must be something in it.

Whether it's your look, by that i mean fashion, or maybe your facial expressions, or just the way you walk.

Thats not to say you are not a friendly chap, but even you said "sometimes i'm friendly". Does that mean sometimes you're not? Do people know you from the times when you haven't been?

It's a difficult one, and one i have experienced even as an adult. People have told me i walk and sometimes look as though i'm about to kick someones head in lol.....but that could not be further from the truth.

Yes i have a confident walk, and am very aware when i'm walking, but i'm the most mellow guy in the world. I do have a bit of a scowl on my face at times, but thats not a nasty thing, i think it's just the way my face is lol.

Some people just look daunting, but are actualy soft as muck and really nice people.

Here in the UK though, i have to admit the hoodie thing has put a negative aspect on all teenagers unfortunately.

So as for your situation, i'd take a look at either your dress sense, or mannerisms....not that you should change, but if it affects you enough to mention it here, maybe its something you could look at.

CX.

[edit on 30/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Its all about image, and if you watch the TV today you get bombarded with the misadventures of todays youth. You hear about kids killing each other, teenage pregnancies, you name it and the youth are doing it: or at least thats what you can derive from the media. After a while people give up looking for the good in folks and just go along with the portrayals they are fed, thus the predicament.

I used to be in the same boat growing up, I had long hair, wore baggy clothes typically in the color black and was not the most pleasant or well adjusted young man. Walmart security used to follow me around quite often, to the point that I would end up confronting and embarrassing them.

It sucks but the whole thing is the lot of the youth of today, unless you are down for dressing like a 35 year old worker and taking on the clean cut look chances are you won't be able to escape the stigma.

CX

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Oh yeah, forgot about the tatts.

Many people see tattoos as an aggressive thing, but thats usualy those who don't have them.

No-one says anything about mine, then again i've only got my feet tattooed.

CX.

[edit on 30/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
People are programmed to be judgmental. Use it to your advantage when it's an issue. I use it as my "sheeple detector". The judgmental ones will be the ones that won't look you in the eye, who step out of your way, or look at you like a criminal or a degenerate.

On the other hand, the non-sheeple crowd, who i'd rather interact with anyway, look past the immediate physical shell.

Your looks physically are no different from your avatar on a forum. It's the visual aspect of your personality that you show the world, by what you wear, how you walk, or what image you post on the forum. Just like i bet a lot of the avatars on this site are deceptive in the same way in which a dark, brooding looking avatar may be the "face" of a bright and cheerful, carefree soul who happens to connect or relate to some aspect of the visual appearance.

As i said, i use this aspect of society's programmed shallowness as a sort of filter to identify real people vs. meat robots.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think your question can best be answered in an experience.

Go find/get a nice suit. Walk into a store or whatever with it on. You will get treated with service quickly, nice service, friendly faces and so forth.

I'm over the age of 30, and hoodies are my favorite thing to wear. I love them, I can't stand for my ears to get cold.

But I know not to wear such things and to dress "up" when the situation needs it, and I need the respect to get the service/things I want.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I had a missing front tooth for many years as a teen. I was 25 when I was fortunate enough to get it fixed. I wish I could tell you how people treated me before and after. It actually ticked me off because I never changed at all, just my appearance.

So, people are judgemental. Do what you can to like yourself. If their opinions matter to you, then you've got to do what you've got to do.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

yeah i see what you mean, its probably the fact i wear jackets that have hoods on them, and people see that as the sign i need to cover my face because im some kind of criminal, and thats part of my question, why do people react in such ways or is it just because someone made a gross generalization about the age group and people think thats right.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, I'm 16 and in Chicago. I sometimes see what your talking about. From what I can tell I don't do anything to deserve such paranoia from people I don't even know. I even smile to that person, to let them know I'm friendly. But that doesn't work sometimes either. Like I said, this doesn't happen all the time to me. I think that a previous post said it all. We are made to be judgmental from the media. I don't try to make assumptions about someone I don't know.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well, honestly I have to say I was pretty bad when I was between the ages of 15 and 19. By bad I mean I was just anti authority, and did the usual things kids in that age group do.

I don't think it is anything personal against you, it's probably just that people remember what they were like at that age when they see you!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hi James. Don't let them get you down.

You seem to me to be a very friendly, thoughtful young guy.

If people want to be so narrow minded and influenced by the media that they feel threateded solely by someones age and the clothes they wear, then that's a missed opportunity for them. Don't take it as any reflection of who you are.

My son is a teenager, looks a few years older than he really is. He and his friends are very nice. They wear hoodies and trackies and it used to concern my son when he got that kind of attitude and reaction. the police also pull them over regularly. He has been doing voluntary work since he was very young. All the neighbours think he's wonderful.

He carries buggies and groceries and does other helpful things for people in his community without a second thought. What he choses to wear reflects very litttle of who he is!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by james420

Hey james

Just ignore these ignorant people !!
Most under 20s I know are awesome-----loadsa fun and really cool.
its some of the older peeps that are scary

I mean e.g which of the below is scariest ??

A hoodie with tattoos n stuff coming towards you ??
OR
A motorised invalid car---usually out of control ??

Yep---its the latter !!!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I feel you James. When people find out I'm 62 they sometimes think I'm a prude and old fashioned.

But if they meet me in person they can see that I'm not what you might think of a woman my age. I really do get tired of being judges because of the number of years I've lived.

I have several tats, piercings and own and ride a 1973 Sportster that has been chopped to look like a baby Fat Boy.

In my opinion it reeks of stupidity to judge people by their age. I enjoy talking with people of all ages.

My only regret in life is that I felt the need to hide most of my tats because I was a business owner.

My ears are a giveaway because they have several piercings in the cartilage.

I sure wish we could forget about age and concentrate on a persons mind and personality.

new topics

top topics

join