It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David "Big Papi" Ortiz tested positive for banned substance in 2003

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Manny and Big Papi have now both been accused of taking banned substances in 2003.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz are among the 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, according to a report in the New York Times on Thursday.

The Times cites "mutilple interviews" with lawyers and sources close to pending litigation. Steroids testing in 2003 was to be confidential, but the results were not destroyed and have since been siezed by the federal government. Last Februrary, it was revealed that Alex Rodriguez was among those who tested positive and he quickly admitted it was true.

Say it ain't so, Papi!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What Nomar said about it yesterday.

"It's just this list that was supposed to be anonymous," Garciaparra said. "And if that was a mess and it's not anonymous, then how much can you believe it? It was a joke, if you really know the way we went through it. It was supposed to be anonymous, and now it's not? Then what is and what isn't? It's unfortunate."

The infielder, who spent seven and a half years with the Red Sox between 1996 and 2003, expressed extreme dissatisfaction with the idea that names from the list are slowly but surely being leaked.

Garciaparra cast doubt on the method employed to obtain the 103 names on the list, suggesting that some players opted not to take the test in order to purposely fail the test. The players assumed that doing so would increase the number of positive tests and therefore require PED testing throughout baseball.

"There were literally guys who said, 'I'm not taking it. Go ahead and put me positive because I want the number to be above [the requirement to warrant steroid testing in baseball],' because they wanted steroid testing," he said.

He said that now, those players will look like they tested positive for steroid when, in fact, they essentially lied in order to implement steroid testing where it was needed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
nesn

I can see what he was saying. Guys that wanted testing purposely said fail me, because what does it matter its anonymous. If what he is saying is true some innocent people are going to end up looking like cheaters.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

or, like every other player before him, he's lying about his own use and setting up an excuse.

I heard, a while back, from a very reliable source, that almost all of them were taking steroids. How could they not? If I'm in the minors and I'm a good player but the competition for my spot on the major roster is juicing and hitting 20 more homeruns a year, even though I am the better player, I have no choice but to juice or spend my time in the minors, always a guy who was "this close" to the show.

I'm surprised they don't just publish the list and call it a day.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I agree publish the list and move on. Why are there only certain high profile players named being leaked? And who is leaking them? That has to be some sort of crime I would imagine. I believe the list is sealed by court order? Shouldn't the players union, they strongest union in the world, be all over who is leaking all the names?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
He was an average ballplayer at best with the Twins. Then he gets cut and catches on with Boston. Then he starts hitting 40-50 homeruns a year and winning MVP's.

You could see this coming from the other side of the galaxy.

Peace

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

He was a part time player with them. They wanted him to be a slap hitter, and hit the ball to the opposite field. Obviously he was not that type of player. But he was a free agent, and the Sox signed him. So maybe he did start taking them then. But as a Twin part time player, why was he taking them when he was riding the pine.

I'm pretty much convinced that all of baseball was on some sort of drugs back then. Ephedrine, Andro, steroids, etc.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by testrat]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

Who wanted him to be a slap hitter, the Twins or the Red Sox? I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but most teams don't want their first baseman or DH to be a slap hitter hitting the ball the other way, unless they're going to steal 100 bases a year of course. It's Professional Baseball 101.

Peace

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

The Twins, he had some wrist and knee problems with them. He lost the power he had in the minors, and the Twins didn't think he was a middle of the order type of guy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think that nomar's explanation/excuse whatever is GOLD........now the hypocrites who like to throw stones from their glass houses can get out their thinking caps and say gee.......my head is spinning i don't know who took what and i don't want to not like a guy because he may have just said "fail me so we can impliment drug testing". then they will say oh maybe the 2003 tests should be excused.....but then they will just be completely fed up with the whole era......and may say : forget it i don't care anymore

the lawyers and their brain storming have all the standard excuses that people not educated on the matter may fall for

Gee i purchased this in my country and it is OTC there so i didn't know...sorry

Gee i heard that some supplements were tained with steroids and that they could cause positive tests....

the best was oh i had a high test level because i took DHEA (some nba players said this today).....DHEA a "steroid precursor" will not do squat to raise test levels (significantly) for any athlete.......never mind high enough to get past the VERY high level needed to test positive for testosterone doping...i am as clear on this that the sky is blue or the sun rises in the east

( the old andro products ......could raise your test levels significantly....for a few hours but tuff to get a high enough test level to get a positive test (since the levels for a positive test are VERY HIGH) this was designed this way and taken from olympic rules... so that the one guy out of 10,000 who has a very high test level still is well below the level needed for positive levels)....which as an aside allowed most athletes to take mild dosages of testesterone (i.e injectible steroid) and still be under the limit......

*the one legit claim about the andro's was that a prohormone product (Norandrostendione ) could cause a positive test because ANY TRACE of norandrostendione) which has a very long half life will give you a positive test for nandralone which has the street name of DECA Durabolin.....while the prohormone couldn't wear the steroids jockstrap in terms of performance enhancement....it would still cause a positive test BTW DECA ... is a popular drug that dramatically reduces inflamation of joints (gee sounds nice for pitchers elbows and shoulder's ehh).....now a designer steroid guy that maybe able to get the same benefits but drastically reduce the half life of the drug may have some money to make in the sport or should he be able to find a way to mask the drug.

Don't try to make sense of the world......on the one hand we have to be like "don't take bad' to keep our kids from supposedly getting out of control with the stuff........then on the other hand many of us have our own flaws yet we seem like we have to be politically correct and judge other's for their decisons.......it's useless ....why can't the world be simple and perfect lol.

top topics

join