It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandpa, Pregnant Mom Tasered at Party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
MANASSAS, Va. - Prince William County Police responded to a noise complaint at a child's baptism party. By the time they left, a grandfather and a pregnant woman had been Tasered.
Link to Source

The pregnant mother of the baptized boys was Tasered, too. The family says the woman tried to help Rodriguez, who was on the ground. She was charged with assaulting a police officer.

"They Tasered her in the back. She didn't assault the officer. She was assaulted by officer," said Edgar, Jr. who was just steps away from his father.

"When they came in they were in a defensive mode like we were criminals. Everyone felt that is how we got treated like criminals for celebrating a child's baptism," said Rodriguez.

There is probably more to this story than we are hearing. There almost always is. Really, though...

I like the Public Intoxication on his own property, and especially like the tazing of the pregnant woman. They should have just got all the kids while they were there too. Whatevr happened to discretion in the use of force?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yes... always more to the story...

A spokesperson says, "The officers contacted the homeowner, who was highly intoxicated. The officers explained the noise ordinance to the homeowner, who refused several requests to turn down the loud music. Rodriguez began to act disorderly and refused to identify himself to officers."

From your source.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
To the Police Commissioner:

No. Sorry. I do not believe your officers' story

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I wonder if the fetus will be charged with a crime.

They Tazered a pregnant woman so her unborn child was an acomplise too right? Otherwise why tazer the baby too?

Did the cops do wrong tazering a woman with child?

I say yes but what will the police department say? I would bet on paid administrative leave.

A pregnant woman.....

DO ANY OF YOU STILL THINK THIS IS THE LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE!?!!!

HOW BRAVE OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS ARE Tazing pregnant women.

Disgusting!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yup. But isn't it always something? I know you see the dilemma we are facing when we weren't there. Perhaps I should just mind my own business.

A 'spokesperson' gets to say what they are told to say, by the people that pay their salaries. Of course, it's usually just 'the officers followed procedure.'

The families, feeling 'victimized' will of course, have their OWN version of what happened.

How do we overcome this great divide?

How do we ever get the truth?

In this case, if we HAD the truth, would it make any difference? A man, even if intoxicated, was in his own yard. The music was loud, it was a party. The man, apparently didn't even speak English.

The woman is suspected of having some immigration issues apparently. STILL. Could that possibly have been a better way to present the compassion of the police department to a bunch of children? I suppose they killed a couple birds with one stone there.

Strong arm a couple people, get familiar with how their tazers work, and vilify the LEOs in the minds of a lot of children.

Way to go.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Still, using a Taser on someone non-violent to enforce compliance with your authority is not a legitimate excuse for a Law Enforcement Officer to use a Taser.

When someone takes too long to find their Driver's License, or refuses to sign a Traffic Violation, or is ungratefully rude, or is deaf, are no reasons to use a Taser! Yet daily we see abuses by Law Enforcement doing just that. This is just another to add to that long list of grievous abuses.

The homeowner was intoxicated in his own home. He was not driving a motor vehicle. He did not need to present Identification to the Officer. The Officer could have simply presented the homeowner with a Citation as the homeowner's only offense was violation of a Municipal Noise Ordinance which is *NOT* an arrestable criminal offense but a citable offense of civil code. If the homeowner then refused to appear at a certain time and place mentioned in the citation, then he could have had a Warrant issued for his arrest by the courts. Then, the Law Enforcement Officer could have used a Taser if the homeowner refused to present Identification or refused to comply with arrest.

There is such a thing as DUE PROCESS OF THE LAW which Officers are supposed to abide. The problem is that rather than respect the Laws they are supposed to uphold, they escalate situations to justify their abuse.

Tasering the pregnant mother who tried to assist her father who was flopping around on the floor was entirely inexcusable and beyond reprehensible.

Personally, I am sickened beyond words with the flagrant abuse of Tasers by Law Enforcement. I honestly believe that they are a useful and viable alternative to using a firearm, but I feel that their use should be restricted to the very same rules and regulations that an Officer must abide when using his firearm. Although you won't hear me saying this often as I feel that the more laws we have the less freedoms we have, but we seriously need Legislation mandating restrictions and regulation of the use of non-lethal weapons such as Pepper-Spray and Tasers by Law Enforcement.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm so glad those officers assessed the risk in such a good manner - just imagine what might have happened if they wouldn't have realized the imminent danger they were in.
Grandpa and mom would have gotten their claws on the good officers, for sure.

Here's some happy fun time quotes:

The 55-year-old homeowner is a church family counselor and a bible study teacher. He says he was hosting a party for his new godchild.

Family members say it was supposed to be a happy day to celebrate the baptism of the two little boys. Home video captures the party moments before police arrive following a noise complaint. You can hear children's laughter above the sound of music.

The elder Rodriguez explains how he pulls out his wallet. Interpreting for his father, Edgar says, "He took out his wallet. He had the license in his hand and gave his wallet to his wife. When he lifted up his hands with his license, he started feeling the electric shock in his back."

"All of a sudden he got Tasered in the back and then this side, and then officer in the front of him Tasered him from the front. My dad was not under arrest. We never heard anyone say you're under arrest," said Edgar Rodriguez, Jr.

The family's home video tape captures some moments as Rodriguez was Tasered, and then charged with public intoxication in his own backyard.

(bold added)

My gratitude for the people who are ensuring orderly conduct on our behalf is endless. We couldn't do without them (especially the kids!)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I see a lawsuit with a huge payout, or settlement in these peoples future.

You can't charge a person with public intoxication in their own yard. This aught to be interesting.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The tazer is supposed to be an alternative to the gun. For instance, if a man brandishing a knife is coming at a cop then said cop would have to pull his fire arm and shoot him. The tazer gives the law officer an alternative to deadly force. With the Tazer he could stun the man down with less lethal force.

Thats how this was packaged back in the 80s and 90s.

Today pregnant women are tazered. The alternative to this woman trying to help her father would of been shooting her and her unborn baby with bullets.

Fudge it their cops, They can always say cop assisted suicide.

How am I not supposed to be sick?

Some of the Mods here on ATS are cops. Tis true. I like them and respect them as people...But stories like this one....

I would like to know how am I supposed to respect any authority ever? I got my own stories of being wronged I can add on top of this.. things that happened to me. But nothing compares to tazering a Mother to be.

Thats sick.

If we fight against it we become terrorists if we do nothing we get tazed or framed.

What are we supposed to do?!.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is like everyday news these days. Tazers should've been taken away from majority of LEO's ages ago. Now this kind of news is in the same catagory as 'sky is blue' and 'water is wet'. It's taken as granted that cops go around tazing people without reason.
Anyone want to place a bet on the fact that the home video wont make it to court?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
This is like everyday news these days.

Thats the biggest tragedy of it all. It has become everyday news. People should be more upset over this. Where is the MSM footage? Where is the peoples outrage? This incident is much worse than the EMT that got chocked. We are talking about Tazing an unborn baby.

Did the baby make it? What happens if the child is born with birth defects like down syndrome?

What has this LEO done?

Why is this being tolerated?

I mean this is some lets make a mob and tear down city hall kinda stuff. If this is the extreme what happens everyday in this city?

I used to live in Virgina. In the Hampton Newport area. The cops there were.... not good. Some of my stories I do not go into detail about come from them. It seems things for the commonwealth of VA have only gotten worse.

Something will happen if law officers are allowed to behave like this.... If it is tolerate by the police then the people are gonna get sick of it..

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

I heard Grandma took out her teeth and threatened to gum one of the officers.
What they didn't bother tazering the two young boys?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
All of this news is starting to make me sick. We have to be afraid of those who's salaries we pay. This is starting to become disgusting.

On the flip side, I know that not all law enforcement are like that. I have met plenty of good officers. I give them respect, and they treat me with respect. I have run into the power trip ones, but I believe the majority of our PO's are just good hearted citizens, and this is coming from someone who got a record as a teenager. Sadly over a decade ago (I can feel my age) I can still say the majority I have run into have always treated me with respect, and have even cut me breaks on traffic citations.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is posted already. Here's a video where you can see that the grandpa was infact just standing when a taser is pressed against his back.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Tasers have killed people. IMO they're still not an appropriate form of control. Especially a pregnant woman.

I really really dislike tasers. They shouldn't be using those OR guns. They should have a way to calm people down without harming them. But no, I have no ideas as to how they would do that.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
bottom line we need people to watch those who are watching us

we need vigilantes as bad as that sounds

we need people to show the law enforcement that they are not invincible and can not always hide behind procedure and the legal system

we need vigilantes to go and punish these officers after crimes like this are committed

then and only then will these in-compassionate corrupt bastards start to think twice about abusing the power they hold over us all

of course there is always more to the story and the cops are always going to say they did what they were trained to do

well maybe they need different training

this crap happens every single damn day

i swear i will never stand for this if i witness it first hand

also edited to say that

there are reports that those tasered dont speak english

and the cops are saying they were not cooperating

were any of the cops speaking their language?
were there any interpreters?
if not then how can we expect compliance when they know not what to comply to?

i feel everyone in the u.s. should know at least some english

but we dont support that as a nation

and as long as we support immigration and as long as we dont force those who are here to know english, then we are morally obligated to know their language or have some type of interpreter

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Dramey]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
OK just reposting this because they close the other thread:

I would like to say something to the Police.

I want to tell you about a friend of mine. I know him very well. Nowadays, the Police seem to think that they can do whatever they like without impunity. Well if they were ever to unnecessarily tazer (or mistreat ) my friend in any way let me tell you what he would do. (Only if this was unwarranted, if he was out of order, he would just accept it).

He would not go up against the Police but he would find out the Officer concerned. He would wait no matter how long it took and one day when the officer does not have all of his protection, my friend would smash his skull in. There is no doubt about that. Then he would burn his house down. My friend, and I know him very well, has many friends just like himself who will do exactly the same.

So Mr Police, I am not saying I approve such a thing but I hope you run into my friend sometime....

new topics

top topics

join