It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New State of Matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

New State of Matter

www.coasttocoastam.com

A type of matter that previously only existed in science-fiction, 'transparent aluminum,' was recently created when the metal was bombarded with a soft X-ray laser (pictured). The exotic new form of matter, in which the aluminum was rendered nearly invisible, may have implications for planetary science and nuclear fusion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.physorg.com

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
'holy invisible batman'...

The effect lasted mere nanosecond, yet they postulate this is relevant in the creation of planets.

If you read the article further, it states they accomplished this feat using a laser more powerful than a power plant!

*the question arises: will the invisible cars be laser powered...

LOVE

www.coasttocoastam.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It was my understanding that theoretically we always knew aluminum could be made transparent. We never had the technical ability to make it so, until now.

I'll never forget the Star Trek movie where Scotty fesses up with the molecular structure in exchange for 1-foot thick plexiglass for a whale tank!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well if they can somehow create a real transparent metal. I could see soft drink companies jumping all over this. It would be a marketing boom.

But reading this I think that for one it only lasts a nanosecond and it's not really transparent. just to the X Rays.

I don't know enough about this to speculate. But it would be cool to see a can made out of transparent aluminum.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
if its refractive then anything made out of this stuff would just look like its made of glass...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I kinda agree with whatukno here.... Are they sure the metal was accually transparent or did they just make a X-ray flashlight.... Which would be just as cool.

Kinda reminds me of a futurama episode

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The metal was made transparent to extreme ultraviolet for 40 femtoseconds. That's 25 trillionths of a second. Interesting that they made it happen at all, but it will probably take a little work before this becomes useful.

Being transparent to extreme ultraviolet radiation wouldn't affect how we saw it. We're not ready for transparent soft drink cans. Not just yet.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Please excuse my ignorance but, how exactly is making a solid invisible a new state of matter? Wouldn't it still be solid, but invisible? Maybe my mind is going at this the wrong way.

It's cool nonetheless that they were able to make the aluminum invisible!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Imagine though if somehow you could make a metal transparent. The safety benefits would be huge.

A window that doesn't crack or shatter but dent?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake1234
*the question arises: will the invisible cars be laser powered...

LOVE

Huh? How does that question arise at all ??

The article clearly says that it is "nearly invisible to extreme UV region" for 40 femtoseconds! So it is not invisible to the visual spectrum but to the extreme UV region for a fraction of a second.

And this was after bombarding the Aluminum with a super powerful X-ray laser. It serves ZERO practical use.

It is an interesting development for cosmology and astrophysics and maybe particle physics but the practical application of this is almost non-existent.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
Please excuse my ignorance but, how exactly is making a solid invisible a new state of matter? Wouldn't it still be solid, but invisible? Maybe my mind is going at this the wrong way.

It's cool nonetheless that they were able to make the aluminum invisible!

The Aluminium is NOT INVISIBLE to the naked eye!!

The powerful soft-X ray laser was able to knock out a "core" electron from the Al rather than a valence electron that is usually displaced while still remaining stable .

Chemistry Note here that Al has an atomic number 13 = 2 s-orbital , 8 p-orbital and 3 d-orbital (valence electrons).

new topics

top topics

join