It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Station Reality Check: Now What?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Space Station Reality Check: Now What?

dsc.discovery.com

July 30, 2009 -- No one really believes the United States would dump the International Space Station into the ocean just five years after the $100 billion project is finally finished, but here's the reality: NASA has no budget for the program beyond 2015.

Saving the space station, and possibly expanding the project, emerged this week as a top priority for two subcommittees of the presidential panel reviewing the U.S. human space program.

"We didn't start off with that perspective," committee member and former astronaut Sally Ride, told colleagues on the panel. "We don't think the d
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
They should be trying to save this project beyond 2015...We (taxpayers) have invested too much not to. However, what brought me to post this is what is said at the end of the second paragraph: "U.S. HUMAN SPACE PROGRAM".

Is there any other kind?

What are your thoughts? I know, I'm reading too much into this...but hey, this is a conspiracy theory website.

Just my 2-cents

Enjoy!

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Who has been responsible for scuttling all our space exploration endevours?

Our "Progressives", thats who.

If they had their way, Chris Columbus would have never been allowed to explore the unknown until every poor person in Europe was fed and cared for medically.

Remember, the space shuttle was only originally meant to be a small part of a larger plan.

We should have had moonbases, asteroid mining and men on Mars decades ago.

Soon they'll have us all living in caves and grass huts, too.

Thats "Progress"!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I dont think Russia, United Kingdom, Japan and other investors into the ISS program are going to be too happy about this. The INTERNATIONAL space station doesnt exclusively belong to the US, its a joint venture and should stay as such. It might be egg on the faces of NASA to move ground control from Houston to Russia, but scientifically and morally it would be the right thing to do long-term.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

"U.S. HUMAN SPACE PROGRAM".

Is there any other kind?

I think that was just a twitchy reporter who didn't know the correct term. He/she meant 'manned' Space program, likely. (Maybe they thought 'Human' was more PC???)
"Womanned" just doesn't quite roll off the tongue in the same way....

There's an ISS controller here on ATS. He might know more. But, on the off-hand, I'd guess that the funding has a drop-dead date (2015), but that doesn't mean politics won't change on the issue.

ALSO, I'm not sure, but a large construct like ISS in LEO will eventually have its orbit decay. It's inevitable, unless something is done to boost higher. THAT would be dicey, AND expensive, if it's even possible.

Time to coll out our "Secret Space Corps" with their 'alien' technology to save the day!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
It's inevitable, unless something is done to boost higher. THAT would be dicey, AND expensive, if it's even possible.

I guess a space shuttle and a tow chain won't quite cut it.

Maybe they can retrofit the shuttle to become the world's first stellar wrecker service...

Just sayin'

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
next on tv brought to you by ... made possible by nasa and its partners..
Big brother ISS the winner of big brother wins a trip to the moon. ???

they have to think commercial.. something else what about advert on the launch system?

commercial partnerships?? Intel / amd paying for test time? or use of its technology and get publicity in return.

there are so much things they can do.. if they are willing.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
next on tv brought to you by ... made possible by nasa and its partners..
Big brother ISS the winner of big brother wins a trip to the moon. ???

they have to think commercial.. something else what about advert on the launch system?

commercial partnerships?? Intel / amd paying for test time? or use of its technology and get publicity in return.

there are so much things they can do.. if they are willing.

Yes! and they can sell advertising space on the ISS, the space shuttle and all the contestants will wear coveralls with company logos all over them...just like NASCAR

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

they are planning to attach the VASIMR engine made by ad astra on to the ISS and if that technology is working as it is planned to do they leaf the system attached and powered by the solar panels so it can be used to alter the distance lost by the decayy ..

The ISS VASIMR engine will operate in burst mode. Since ISS's power generation is not great enough, the system will include a trickle-charged battery system allowing for 10 min pulses of thrust. This however, is expected to be sufficient to maintain ISS altitude, eliminating the need for costly, periodic chemical rocket reboosting operations.
source

top topics

join