It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers

Given the global penetration of iPhones as the "must" have toy these days, this article introduces a few items. There is no question that the mobile frenzy these days is growing bigger by the minute. For starters is this a substantiated claim or is Apple just blowing steam. Let's face it the threat of impacting cell phone towers as presented is huge in terms of lost business revenue and general panic.

On the other hand Apple, as the article clearly points out, has always been a relatively closed business unit. They don't like it when others can infringe on technology that is arguably theirs to begin with. The ability for crackers to bring down communications that impacts the local starbucks latte sipping, bluetooth wearing douchebag isn't such a bad thing either.

Apple can easily play the boogeyman card here guiding Homeland security to perhaps interact in the interests of . For the record I don't own an iPhone but from what I've read jailbreaking is just an extension of what many many other products deal with. That is end users pushing things to the limits.

src www.wired.com... 7504

Jailbreaking iPhone info en.wikipedia.org...

brill

[edit on 30-7-2009 by brill]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There is nothing illegal about breaking the encryption for a phone to work on other networks.

Apple does not own the hardware, once you buy the phone you own it, you can do what ever you want too it.

This is scare tactics from Apple. The iPhone is no different from the millions of other phones that people buy and activate daily.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Oh, I hope nothing will really come out of this.

I own an unlocked iphone.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Jailbreaking actually refers to unlocking previously locked features - thereby breaking out of the virtual jail Apple has imposed on the iPhones. Don't forget, an iPhone or any other mobile device is pretty much the same as your desktop computer; you're just not allowed to use it that way. Officially.

Like all other phones, there is a distinction in hardware between the operating system of a phone and it's GSM parts. Since you can't break out of an operating system, jailbreaks should not affect the cellular networks in any way.

ETA a nice quote from the article:

He added that, if Apple’s argument was correct, the open-source Android phone from Google on T-Mobile networks would also be a menace to society. ”This kind of theoretical threat,” von Lohmann said, “is more FUD than truth.”

[edit on 30-7-2009 by scraze]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I don't know too much regarding such a large scale situation as this one. However, If the cooporate giants would work together, then I'd think the problems would be too bad.

I don't know about now, but the States in the 90's had towers going in left, and right. I've been a lot of other places in the world, and even many 3rd world nations have excellent cell coverage.............many times better; as the infrastructure for land lines/dsl isn't available.

new topics

top topics

join