It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Does One Make a soft, fluffy Cornish Pasty crust ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've got the filling just RIGHT...it's been trial and error but it's THERE. Pisky loves it and says it's perfect.

The only problem is the crust. I can't seem to get my crusts to be light and fluffy like the Ginster ones. They keep coming out hard as a BRICK.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong ? I consider I'm a good cook, but crusts have always been a weak point.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Before I found out who posted this I was going to suggest asking Pisky...

Well, I'm more of a cake baking lady (Old family recipe, I'm 15 and beat the W.I lot hehe), but have you brushed it with milk before hand? It tends to be less 'brick' like if you do, and remember to mix it properly, there's a big art to the mixing (or so 'm told)...me, I just buy it in a packet

Sorry if that's not much help, like I said more of a sweet baking person.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
you could try putting foil over the pasty when you start cooking, and only remove it for the last few minutes. that way the contents will cook as normal, but none of the water inside it will evaporate so the crust wont dry out and will stay soft. removethe foil for the last few minutes so the crust cooks properly.

just a thought, but it sounds logical to me.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Aahhhhhh....I never thought of that one...thanks Bolshevik, I'll give it a whirl.

And LC, I'll combine your idea with bolsheviks as well.
Together they might make the difference. You see, I love cooking and I can't seem to give up with a recipe unless I get it perfectly right. And crusts are my cross to bear, I guess

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Just reading the title of this topic has made me so bloody hungry.I dunno how to make the puff but i sure know how to eat it

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
pastry dough is GENERALLY very thin layers stacked onto each other.

the key to a good pasty dough is the make sure those layers can seperate. usually oil does a good job. phyllo dough (frozen and can be found in grozery stores, in america anyway, its greek i believe) is very thin layers of pasty dough and when brushed on both sides with a light oil ensure a flaky crust.now what happens during baking is this...

oil and water doesnt mix and what happens to water when its heated? it expands. the oil seperates each layer and allows the steam to build up thus making the crust puffy and light. milk will make the layers stick together and form a solid layer of dough. (the protiens in the milk will hold it together)'

i believe you can use butter or a combo of oil and butter.

you also want to make sure the layers are not too dry or they will break, too wet and you'll get a heavy pastry. the best thing to do is thaw and work with it quickly. making your own dough can be very hard to do (as well as time comsuming) so i do recommend that you buy frozen pastry dough instead.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Hi KayEm,

I've had the most delicious sausage rolls made with pastry using lard as the only fat (no marg). See this recipe and good luck!

pie.allrecipes.com...

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
too lazy to make your pastry from scratch like me?

then I would highly recommend using Betty Crocker's Pie Crust Mix, it comes in a box in the cake mix aisle. Just add water and knead. I use it for my pastries like pineapple tarts, cheese rolls and chicken patties...very light and flakey and it saves me alot of time and possible errors.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
hmm so this is like a pie crust like thing?

shortening. cut the shortening into the flour with a pastry knife and use COLD water. do not use butter or margarine (margarine has water in it)

do NOT over mix it. the more you mix the more glutinous it becomes (gluey and heavy).

k i think that and my previous post cover just about anyone's dough and pastry needs.

i'll look up a recipe if anyone wants or needs one, i have all kinds of cookbooks...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Just reading the title of this topic has made me so bloody hungry.I dunno how to make the puff but i sure know how to eat it

LOLOL...I'll make sure and save a cyber one for you the next time I make a batch then, Drunk. The only thing I can't provide (I WISH I could !!!) is a nice cold pint of dry cornish scrumpy cider..Yummmmm..Oh GODDESS I miss cider ! We have nothing here that EVEN compares.

You guys, your ideas are awesome. Thank you ! The next time I shop for ingredients I'm gonna remember all these tips. Thanks again !

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Gal from Montana here

we make pasties all the time... I just use a simple shortening flour dough...

you want them savory..... and just FYI can't use a phyllo crust... just doesn't fit the code of the pasty but.... would indeed be very flaky

if using them as a presentation... tehy egg wash beautifully...

good luck

new topics

top topics

join