It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK's national ID card unveiled

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

What's the point? Isn't this chip thing supposed to be coming soon? Chipped under our skin?

Which means all the cash spent on these cards will be a load of wasted cash!!!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is really no big deal. That card is pretty much exactly like my US Green Card - in fact my green card probably has a lot more info embedded. And guess what - I don't have guys in black uniforms watching me and asking to see my card. I'm supposed to carry it everywhere, but nobody has ever wanted to see it in the 4 years I've been here. I use it at airports when taking internal flights - it's actually very convenient. The two jobs I've had in the US didn't really care; actually the last job I asked THEM if they wanted to see my card and they were like "errr....OK"
And I'm a foreigner living in hugely paranoid country like the US.

Even if the UK made ID cards mandatory tomorrow (which isn't going to happen anyway...) what do think is going to happen? Nothing. If you want to throw the card in the trash and become a "free man/woman" then go for it.....I doubt TPTB will give a rat's bottom. All this "over my dead body" stuff is hugely misplaced paranoia.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
. Biometric chip holds fingerprint record
I wonder if there is enough room to replace the fingerprint record with a virus that would slowly infect there national system.

Make it a multi part virus that when it comes together it crashes the national system.
Or one that spreads from card to card and slowly corrupts the system

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Wasn't the ID card idea scrapped, I dunno, cant keep track of what's happening half the time because they ping-pong the truth so everything slips past our attention.
As it goes we already have all our details on record so what's the point in resisting just another card, National Insurance number is the biggest one, a number holding all your details, birth certificates, marriage certificates, bring 3 forms of ID, bill's, census, voting register, etc.
This card is just an extension of the national insurance number.
But if I have to have one, then I aren't paying the £30 for a waste of time and money card that will not phase illegal immigration or anything that is sinking this dump they call an island.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

If the system is the same used in Portugal it's not possible to write to the card (only to a small 100 characters "notepad", if I am not mistaken).

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So much paranoia over such a simple thing.

How many cards do you already carry? I am required to carry my MoD F90 with me at all times. I hold a driving license. I have a passport. I have my bank cards. They have only served to make my life more efficient. They all have a purpose. An ID card makes it easier to prove my identity to anyone who needs to know it.

Some people may not drive. They may have no other form of photographic ID. I for one don't like the idea of walking around with my passport on me. You shout about liberties etc, but you can't drive or travel by air without some form of official ID. You can't do anything without flashing a driving license or passport these days. One card makes this all so much easier.

So what if later on down the line you need it to sign on for a job or open a bank account? I already need official documentation to do these things. What's the problem? What are people afraid of?

There is nothing on this card that the government don't already have storred in some way, shape or form.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

So what if later on down the line you need it to sign on for a job or open a bank account? I already need official documentation to do these things. What's the problem? What are people afraid of?

Speaking for myself, I don't like the idea of it being compulsory. Other forms of identification such as credit cards or passports are voluntary, and if a person objected to having a driving license then they simply wouldn't own or drive a car.

I am worried about what the penalty might be for not carrying an ID card. I don't like the idea that I can't simply walk along the street without one.

Besides that, I don't see the need for people to have to have yet another form of ID. Why isn't my passport good enough? If there's not enough information on it already to satisfy the ptb then why not just overhaul the passport?

And still, it should be voluntary.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join