It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officers Run Background Check On Obama; Placed On Leave

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Wonder what came up? 'Spring Break' in Muslim Pakistan during their Martial Law?? Obama has one of the biggest security clearances in the land that was HANDED to him by the gov't. Wonder if they did a background check on him before handing him the clearance?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. Mercifully, those who voted for him don't agree and the world is a better place for it.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by phoenix103
reply to post by lpowell0627

Clearly as it is a stupid, blatant and gross invasion of privacy/abuse of their authority.

Why the hell should you need it explained to you?

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by maria_stardust]

Actually, the President is a public servant....

His background check is Public Information

The fact that the Gestapo was notified immediately that someone ran a background check on Mr. Obama, and proceed to "investigate" the police officers in question ... is a little disturbing. Makes me wonder how far the Gestapo's arms really stretch.

So you'll be able to supply us copies of his bank statements if everything about his life is public record?

Doesn't matter who or where it is, EVERYONE is entitled to some privacy. You don't have British police doing background checks on the Queen, do you?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Seems like these are the only reasons for background checks unless the cops have good cause to investigate a person.

BACKGROUND CHECKS:
Background checks are made for the following reasons:
* Employment
* Housing
* Adoption
* Visa
* Immigration
This process takes place while you wait.

www.dekalbpolice.com...

These guys were dumb to think that typing in Obama's name wouldn't set off alarms. If it would have been Joe Blow, they would have gotten away with it.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Officers Run Background Check On Obama; Placed On Leave

www.wsbtv.com

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- Two DeKalb County police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave after an investigation revealed they ran a background check on President Barack Obama.

A representative for the DeKalb County CEO’s office identified the officers as Ryan White and C.M. Route.

Officials said Obama’s name was typed into a computer inside a DeKalb County police car on July 20 and ran through the National Crime Information Center.

The secret service was immediately notified and contacted the DeKalb County Police Department.
(visit the link for the full news article)

If there was nothing to hide this would be allowed.....as they would find nothign wrong or abnormal.......

But there is dirt on all politicians ....It's not just because he is OBAMA and was probably born in a different country, but that they will 100% of the time find something illegal if they check any politician ..

Politicians and their parties have these sort of things paid off and taken care of and this is why these officers got in trouble.....

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Seems like these are the only reasons for background checks unless the cops have good cause to investigate a person.

BACKGROUND CHECKS:
Background checks are made for the following reasons:
* Employment
* Housing
* Adoption
* Visa
* Immigration
This process takes place while you wait.

www.dekalbpolice.com...

These guys were dumb to think that typing in Obama's name wouldn't set off alarms. If it would have been Joe Blow, they would have gotten away with it.

When I worked as a liability insurance investigator, we conducted background checks on "suspicious" individuals. BUT, we (investigators) had extensive background checks ourselves in order to get the job...and we were on a tight leash when it came to using the various databases for background checks.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103

Clearly as it is a stupid, blatant and gross invasion of privacy/abuse of their authority.

Why the hell should you need it explained to you?

Are you serious? The govt is alllowed to run background checks on you or i anytime they feel like it. You go in and buy a gun and you get a check done on you. Nobody screams about invasion of privacy there.

IMO public officials have less right to privacy than ordinary citizens.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
I dont think what they did is wrong at all because of the fact that "president" obama is a public icon for america and should be subject to any doubt of the people. May i remind each and every one of you people that the gov't is supposed to serve the people not the other way around. I think that obama should let the police run his name because being president he "should" have nothing to hide.

See that thing just flew past you? That was the point right there. Go back and try to find it.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Probably already been said but had to add my two cents before I gotta jet...

Using the system to do background checks for personal reasons is usually against policy. Officers, social workers, and other gov't employees aren't supposed to do that.

Edit: Regardless of all this--Do you guys really think that there aren't already several people who know exactly what will be found in Obama's background and don't give a hoot? Do you think that if the officers found anything nefarious out then Obama would have immediately been questioned? No. They would tell the officers to keep quiet...uhh...or punish them.

There are those who already know everything that is in his background, however nefarious/clean it may be, and "they" are fully aware of where he was born.

I don't know why anyone thinks anything will come of any of this.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Okay, maybe I'm confused then.....many on here are saying thay they perfomed an illegal act, but, as an employeer, I do this ALL the time and there is NO legal retribtion for this. How did the officers break the law?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Probably already been said but had to add my two cents before I gotta jet...

Using the system to do background checks for personal reasons is usually against policy. Officers, social workers, and other gov't employees aren't supposed to do that.

Against policy I can understand, but against the law??

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hello, Its not illegal to do a background check on anyone!! I have a friend that worked for Choice Point and let me tell you that everyones info is so dam screwed up thanks to companies, now we will need a national ID system just to fix it.

The cops were dumb to use those government computers to do it and thats probably the excuse they used to put them on suspension. They are even dumber thinking they will get any real info on any database.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Yeah, can't say I like Obama at all. But a cop shouldn't just go run background checks on anyone they want unless you've pulled them over...etc.

Also like jam said, these idiots should have known doing one on Obama would obviously set off warning bells or whatever!

[edit on 30-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wow! Look at all the obamabots going ape over this. The day he decided to become a public official is the day he surrendered his privacy!

Besides, the government has no moral or legal objection to secretively snooping on us. Why shouldn't we be be able to snoop on them? Maybe if it happens to them enough they will understand why us peons don't want them doing it.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
wont be long before it will be illegal for any of us to even google his name,

well you could, you'll just be thrown in prison err eh i mean pleasantly detained indefinitely.

All Hail Fuhrer King Obama.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I agree. There are laws protecting privacy. HIPPA protects medical, mental health and dental record access, and there are statutes in place to protect personal info, especially in law enforcement. Be thankful for that!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

Your little background checks are NOT the same as a police background check.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Actually that is not true
They are in fact the same and many times much more thorough because PIs have much more time on their hands then police departments. Private Investigation firms use the same resources (databases, courthouses, etc. as Law Enforcement and work right along side with law enforcement on many cases and do the same type of checks.

But with all that said.....department policy is one thing - and the cops should not have done it on work time and work sources....but I think anyone should have the right to run a check on the President - any president

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on July 30th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix103

That's exactly it, Phoenix. Funny that so many people would squawk about the need to preserve the constitution one moment, and the next happily cheer for a violation of someone's 4th amendment rights. eve nthe president is protected from unwarranted search and seizure.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Personally I don't think it is that the officers broke a law but broke a rule inside the police force. I know with the company I worked for we held several documents in the computer systems for our customers and I even talked to a few famous people now and then but we were not allowed to go in and just look up anyone's name. If we were caught we would lose our job. And some people were either caught or ratted out. It is to protect those in the data base.

I really don't like the facts that someone's brother did checks on people his sister was dating. Way to abuse resources used to catch criminals.
I personally feel these officers were idiots and do deserve to be in trouble for what they have done. I wouldn't want officers using my name and randomly looking up my past. It really is none of their business unless they are investigating a crime in which they think I may have done.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Confusion here comes in the form of police, power, private citizens and public officials.

1. An employer, as we've established, can run a background check on anyone they're considering for employment.
2. Pending via election, the presidential office is a public position, and the one hired/voted in is done so by private citizens. (Corporations? now, right?) As such, the president works for us. All of us, from his wife, to his cousins, from my family to yours, we've employed him for the position.
3. How much background should be made available and known in regards to our officials before we elect them? Where does disclosure begin and end? Where is our power to question the judments, past, and intent when it comes to people high in power?
4. How much power do common police have? Can they run background checks on anyone they feel is suspicious of crimes? Were they suspicious of him for something? What were they looking for?

I'd love to scream "invasion of privacy" myself, as I detest the notion of so much power dispersed through many different hands. But I bet the reality coming soon, and not to theaters, will be background checks on all citizens for so much as a cup of coffee from starbucks.

And before I yell foul on this, I want to know - what the cops were looking for, specifically, what made them suspicious of the person in the highest office, and what they possibly found - if anything at all - in the search.

But, gotta admit, all the secrecy and extreme defense surrounding O is making me very nervous.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join