It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Teen Pays Impound with Pennies!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Florida Teen Pays Impound with Pennies!!!!

www.wctv.tv

18-year-old Jordan Renken walked home last Thursday night (July 23rd) after his car was towed.

The next day, he called his friends to bring their video cameras to capture him paying the fine.

When he brought in 8-thousand 8-hundred pennies to pay it off, the towing company was not happy and nearly didn't accept.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.helium.com
www.break.com

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
This is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!! I know we all wish we had thought of this and now we can go out and do the same darn thing. Stick it to the man the easiest way you know how... make them work! Funny how a tow company will want a payment so bad then refuse it when they see the pennies lol; I'm surprised they just didn't give him his car. Getting the police involved for violating federal law was even better, you gotta love that legal US tender! We should start a new movement of PENNY PAYING!!!!!! What do you guys think?

www.wctv.tv
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-7-2009 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The video is located in my second post or in the Break link in my first post, sorry I forgot to mention that enjoy!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
So he screws up and parks where he isn't supposed to and then he acts like a jerk and pays the fine with over 8000 pennies.

Sounds like an a@@hole to me.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
jd140 your probably right.

But you got to admit it's funny. I have thought about turning over the drawer at work to the third shift filled with pennies.

Course I hate the third shift guy.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Haha, this reminds me of my first year of university. We had this weird student's union president, and he went to pay his tuition with a wheelbarrow full of nickels and dimes, because he claimed that students were 'being nickeled and dimed to death'. They didn't take that form of payment, either. I forget what their reasoning was, but I think it was something to do with the time it would take to count and verify the correct payment had been made.

I wonder, is it legal for a business or govermnent to refuse a payment just because you don't want to deal with that huge stack of coins? Here in Canada, businesses sometimes will refuse $50 and $100 bills because they fear counterfeits, so I suppose a business could refuse a pile of change if they wanted, too. I'm not sure if that would apply to a government service, though. (if you can call paying a towing fine a 'service')

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Yes it is legal to decline small change for payment, though for people that are a huge pain the a**, sometimes it easier to just appease them and take it. I bet the towing company didn't even bother to count them, but the kid probably did. The jokes on him.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Apparently not, in the video, the kid had the police come and the police eventually convinced the cashier to take the pennies.

yes an ass move to be sure, but still kinda funny to me.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

It is 100% illegal to refuse any type of payment in the United States if it is a legal curency here. So your friend who was gonna pay in nickels and dimes actually could have if he pressed it, heck if he got the FED involved his tuition may have been free.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

The towing company won't tow him next time with his "I pay in Pennies" bumper sticker, they'll just leave him alone!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Also honestly usually it's the tow truck drivers trying to give someone a bad night, i have a few buddies that work for the local one around here and they say when they're bored on certain nights they'll tow a car for being on the curb. So I'm in favor of this kid I've had my car towed plenty of times for little or no reason and next time I'm taking his route and paying in pennies!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

The incident I referred to with nickels and dimes actually happened in Canada, but thanks for clarifying the part about it being a requirement to accept legal payment in the US. I'm not sure if we have any such thing here.

Does that mean in the US you don't ever have stores refuse to accept large denomations of bills because of counterfeit danger? We have stores here that have signs up saying they won't take $50s or $100s because they've been burned in the past. Usually it's some fast food place like McDonalds that has those signs, or small businesses.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

7--11 won't take 50s or 100s cause of the forgery problem. Although if pressed they will do it.

but that's a store, and not a debt public or private.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I pulled a similar stunt last year after getting a fine I felt was unjust (spirit of the law vs letter of the law kind of thing). Mine was more than twice over this guys (and thats not including the hearing fee) but I felt pennies were too obnoxious. So I went and got a fat stack of 1 dollar bills by getting change from friends and a few from some banks (changing in big bills). I banded them all together and presented full payment with a smile. Nothing says victory like the audible disdain in someone's voice when they say "Feel free to have a seat while I count these."

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

Well done fordoing what you did. Same with the dude paying his fine with pennies.

Aslong as it is currency they cannot refuse.

Remins me of a case a year back a gentleman took wheelbarrow on one pences to pay for a fine. The collectors hd no choice but to accept his payment.

Power to the People!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

Awesome job but couldn't you have given it in quarters??? lol

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I could've but it was just the principle of the thing. 150+ one dollar bills has some gerth to it but it all fits in one nice little banded up package. All those quarters would be all over the place and if it was in the form of $10 rolls, It'd be easy to count like 15-20 rolls (not giving away the exact amount of the fine
). The dollar is the happy medium for me where I don't have to carry or accomodate for all that much but yet it is still a pain for them to count. Its just enough so that they are made aware that I went out of my way to make it difficult for them. I went all small change in highschool but that was for a small library fine ($5) they were going to try to hold my diploma for. Yes, I am a repeat offender in doing this.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Awesome!! I love it! I should have done that when my car was towed AFTER a COP told me it fine to park there! I was so pissed. I too had to walk 2 miles to a friends house and then pay the next day to get my car back. My first mistake was asking a cop if it was ok to park there.

I paid my car payment, 285 bucks, in all ones once and my car place tried to refuse it and asked me to get bigger bills! I told them its still money and all they had to do was count it. They gave me a hard time but I refused to do what they asked since it was purse laziness on their part. Every month after that I paid in ones just to prove a point
They hated it!

top topics

join