It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Manual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I know many people here have posted in the past about various sources of survival information - like various military texts, etc.

What I've started doing, though, is preparing my own survival manual. I've always been someone that learns extremely well by writing things down, so that's part of why I'm handwriting my manual, but the other part is simply space. In a survival situation, the most important factor, beyond absolutely anything else is information. If you no longer have access to the internet, what you have in hardcopy, or in your brain is it.

I have a square ruled notebook I bought for a few bucks, with a plastic cover (ie, it'll be a little more durable than a simple school notebook). Square rule makes it easier to draw diagrams fast, or make lists of figures, etc.

I've already started putting a few things in there, like first aid practices, survival shelters, morse code, water gathering techniques, but I also intend to research things like natural remedies, plant identification, etc.

It's worth thinking about doing this for yourself. We have a vast resource of free knowledge here on the web. Sure, you could print it all out, but that would take a huge amount of space. The purpose of this is to have something small enough for your bob, something that will serve as a reference manual for all sorts of survival based situations. And in the event that you can't take your manual wherever you end up, you are likely to retain at least some of the information you put in it, more likely than if you had simply read that information.

What else would you consider putting in there? Links for great information to include would be appreciated.

This is a great start - www.oism.org...

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Inannamute]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Not to take this in a different direction, but I have all my survival info, manuals, scanned images of important documents, and even some photos and music on jump drive the sole purpose of which is to remain in my b.o.b. I have another jump drive with the same info tucked away in the truck, say, in case my home catches fire.

They hold tons of info, are tiny, cheap, and I guarantee, with the help of this little number here
I will always have access to a p.c.

Back to the topic, I think a list of locations where you can aquire supplies and necessities you may need. I am not talking about the local Wally World or gun shop, but more like the warehouses that distribute stock to retailers.

For example, I know the location and entrances to several large food warehouses nearby. These are the warehouses that 18 wheelers load up from to distribute food products to large grocery stores.
While others are looting the grocery store, the warehouses will more than likely sit unattended. Maybe.
A list of pertinent locations could come in handy without having to look them up in, say, the yellow pages.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What about in the event of an EMP scenario? Your data does you no good whatsoever if you can't access it because there are no more working PCs, or no power, or you're stuck in the middle of a forest.. I know they hold a lot of data, but again, the purpose of a handwritten manual is dual - it's the most basic tech possible, so you could read it by candlelight if necessary, in the middle of a swamp.. and by hand writing everything in it, you're helping commit it to your memory too, which could be vital if you're stuck somewhere without any help whatsoever, like if you're somehow detained somewhere by authority figures..

I do like the idea of figuring out distribution centers in your area though. Things like farms might also be good to include, especially ones that have large tracts of land away from the main buildings, where you could perhaps rustle an ear of corn or ten, etc.

Evacuation points, safe places, local maps, would also be a good thing to have.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Don't wanna sound stupid, but what's a bob?

I think the ideology of preparing your own survival manual is solid. I agree that it should be on paper; due to either an emp, solar flare, or pole shift.....

I'd think about a serious vapor lock type folder for it; possibly with somekind of moisture absorbant charcoil.

Considering the icky nature of the world; I'd recommend putting phonetically(sp) written basic communications in: Russian, Manderin, Spanish, German, and French.

Spelling the way the words sound will make it easier should you need any of them.

Considering the UN can go anywhere, I'd think a few language basics would be good.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

bob = bug out bag

Good idea I have a lot printed out and some notes too. PC's break to easily and as mentioned EMP events etc also difficult to use out and about unless you have own generator or the like which is portable.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Whereas yes you may be able to forcibly gain access to a pc but that also means you are reliant on being near civilization. Have you ever considered getting a ipod touch? You can store large amounts on files on this and view it where you are. There is even small solar power charger available so you will not have to worry about finding a USB port or wall socket to re charge.

ipod solar charger

Just another option. Plus you will have something else to listen to with having your mp3's with you besides the crickets.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Just to clarify my thoughts on the jump drive, I have considered an EMP event, and realize that would be pretty dismal. However, that is one of a thousand seperate possibilities.

I believe that a manual, as well as jump drive, both have their places. A jump drive has it's downfalls, EMP, as well as confiscation leading to incriminating evidence, if any were to exist.
A manual has it's downsides, too. For a manual to contain all the info we may find we need, the weight/ space issue comes to mind.

That being said, I think that just the same way we would be foolish to carry one source of fire, we would be foolish to depend on one source for our valuable information.

and by hand writing everything in it, you're helping commit it to your memory too, which could be vital if you're stuck somewhere without any help whatsoever, like if you're somehow detained somewhere by authority figures..

I have always learned better having written something out, rather than having just read it.

PC's break to easily and as mentioned EMP events etc also difficult to use out and about unless you have own generator or the like which is portable.

and

Whereas yes you may be able to forcibly gain access to a pc but that also means you are reliant on being near civilization.

Not true, for example, most every tractor being put out by the manufacturer's nowadays have onboard computers, as well as gas stations in the middle of nowhere, police cars, and most homes.

Have you ever considered getting a ipod touch?

Will look into, however the funds are a bit low right now.
And what's wrong with crickets?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Excellent points, all.. I like the phonetic basics for major languages, though I have to say having had a reasonable amount of experience communicating with people who don't speak english, given two willing people, it's not too hard to evolve basic communication skills pretty rapidly.
I think it would be of most use for those tongues which aren't related to english - ie Chinese, russian, japanese, arabic. Any language that's based in a european tongue already shares many characteristics with english, so it's a lot easier to understand..

I also think there's a lot to be said for including information from say, native american sources, since traditionally they lived entirely from the land. For example, making acorns edible is a useful process to know, since if you're aware of how to do that, and the vast majority of people are not, you have a food source that they won't even go near, especially not after tasting how nasty acorns are without processing them properly.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
You have a good point to what you are working towards. I couldn't agree more that said information can be priceless should you need it in a real survival situation. Having read most books available on the subject there are a few that I can recommend without reserve.

survival skills ; Tom Brown Jr's field guide to wilderness survival. the illustrations are poor but don't let that throw you - the info is tested and reliable.

S.A.S - survival guide. Large format book but excellent.

Wild edible and medicinal plants - Both subjects are covered in the Petereson's field guide series. I have cross-referenced many, many entries for reliability. Solid info. The medicinal book does not cover dosage. You will need to learn the best plants in your area and research them for yourself.

Nobody can commit all that information to memory and what I have done is to use the blank pages in the back of the petersons field guide to wild edible plants and wrote down the important information on common medicinal plants in my area.

I have been practicing and teaching wilderness survival skills in the mid-atlantic area for over 20 years. If I can help in any way I would be glad to. Just u2u me.

Best of luck with your endeavor!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Inannamute

It's a good idea mate, I like the fact your handwriting it down to help commit all the info to memory.

Just expanding the idea a little further, I know what some people have done is get a copy of the SAS mini survival guide and laminate its page.

In effect creating little water-proof survival cards that will fit in your pocket.

It's probably a good idea to get a complete survival manual and also create your own local one.

The plants, woods, area's etc will obviously be locally specific to you and thats going to affect certain things.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Exactly. I found a great ebook the other day that had info to include - this one

www.bordeninstitute.army.mil...

It's called "Emergency War surgery" and has a huge amount of field medical info - sure, some is beyond the average person, but then it's the kind of info I'd much rather have, than not have in the case of a sitx. E.g, severe burns, bullet wounds, all kinds of breaks, even things like gynacological emergencies.. Radiation poisoning, bio and chem attacks..

Definitely worth taking a look at

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Everything listed here is good info. you might add to it some books on early american trappers and some books on early colonial america also mountain men. they have how to books out there and they talk about food,shelter,water,making furniture and how to trap,skin,and tan hides for cloths, with very few items needed to do these tasks.
They cover medicine and oils, ways to get them from mother nature and uses.
I've been an outdoors person my whole life and enjoy being in the woods. I have put to use some of the information that I've read from these books and as long as you have the patients and can maintain your equipment/hand tools you can accomplish almost anything with next to nothing.

new topics

top topics

join