It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS SETI@Home Recruitment - the Final Push

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I saw someone else from Futuremark was comming over.

For Seti I'm not in the Futuremark team, but I am a Senior Onion, with a October 2000 registration on the site, with 24/7 IRC presence and dayly forum checks.

I'll ask some other guys from there that are still doing seti, if they wana come over. Most FM guys are folding and the few people that are still running seti are propably with only a few.

It would propably be a dream to get the folding team of FM to come run seti for ATS, one of those guys has a 100CPU park running for him .. all AXP 2000+/P42800+ and higher CPU's :@

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
22) TheMaTrIx 1516 1.615 years 9 hr 20 min 04.4 sec Mon May 17 07:52:39 2004 Belgium

I'm in.

New team total: 124010

I'm trying to bite trough the HTTP500 errors on the setiweb to get to the other accounts ...

Just added 1516 units to ATS, but if I can release all my mail accounts, I'll have about 2000.

Growing 11-15 units a day though(untill I move, then 22-27), so hehe, you can count me into the top 20 in a week or so :p

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi thematrix!!

Fantastic news Sir - whilst we wouldn't want to be accused of "poaching" from other teams, if anybody *would* like to join us, rest assured they will be made most welcome here!!

Thank you again thematrix - much appreciated Sir!!

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just an update, it looks like the SETI@Home page is running now, I just got a message saying that they are doing some major work to it from 1700-1900. -Muzz

xn

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
BOINC is going to release soon. My estimate was pretty close (May). Time to finish as many workunits as possible now. Read my BOINC thread for more details.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
There you have it, folks, straight from the "horse's mouth" so to speak. The first phase SETI is nearing the end of its life. Fire up those machines and crunch on through to the lofty portions of the charts. If any of the inactive members on the team roll need help getting re-started don't hesitate to ask.

SETI@Work Teams Comparison has not been updated since the 13th, but we will have made big progress thanks to the new members that have come aboard recently and the workunit upsurge from the "old salts."

Here's a salute and a big
for everyone.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
ok ok ok I will join in....sign me up...plug me in.....make me crunch.....
I used to run the seti program on my other computor but I have not been ablt to re link up on thid one...PAGE DOWN ect.....so I just gave it up......

Seeing as ~Genya~ is my big ATS daddy (lol).....I sould be a good apprentice and join in with the ATS crowd

Maybe through you folks I can actually get re linked up with seti and get it running again???
......I sorta miss the strange globular bleeps and peaks, awwwww the soothing green glow of the hunt for ET.........ME ME pick my computor to finally SHOW you ARE out there!!! (would I win a prize? like a UFO ride maybe??????
)

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
i am a "seti cruncher" too

we can't waiste all the "official" ways to proof that "they" exist

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hi RG!!

Good on you, "my" girl!!

Yes, thanx to xn and spectre and everybody for keeping us informed about the (oft quoted) move to BOINC - and for ATS BOINC Beta team for showing us all how it is done. I've yet to get involved with BOINC, so guess I'll be asking many questions when the transition takes place!!

As for "hitching a lift" with the UFO RG - remember that the Greys are "people" too - be nice to them!!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kangaxx
i am a "seti cruncher" too

we can't waiste all the "official" ways to proof that "they" exist

Cheers kangaxx!!

Well, I tried a debate about the usefulness of SETI@home but, unfortunately my opponent had difficulties that meant we didn't resolve the matter satisfactorily - for me, why *not* run SETI@home - what would I use my machines for instead?!!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
i have done a "google" search in the key word "distributed computing" and i was shoked to see that are many other things where we can use our processors!
im totaly surprised.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

i have done a "google" search in the key word "distributed computing" and i was shoked to see that are many other things where we can use our processors!
im totaly surprised.

Agreed kangaxx - and all very laudable too! I'm just fascinated with the prospect of looking for radio signals that emanate from "space" - I am a radio ham and an amateur astronomer, so - for me - the technological "fit" just seems perfect!!

And BOINC will give people the flexability to try other programs, if they wish, such as climate prediction, although I'm keen to try SETI@home Southern Hemisphere myself, as SETI@home from Arecibo could never access the Southern Hemisphere (and as the Galactic Centre "lies" in that direction in our skies, it might well be a fruitful area for finding anomalous signals??

But, whatever people use their machines for is cool - make them (our computers) earn their keep, I say!!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've made the switch to Boinc. I had to hit the 1000 mark on seti@home first tho. Everything seems to be going good with Boinc so far.

Any word on points for work units?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

im totaly surprised.

For a while I ran a DC project that aided in cancer research, a joint Intel-United Devices project associated with Oxford University's Centre for Computational Drug Discovery. It was buggy and fairly hard to implement, so I threw 100% in with SETI. Cancer research is a valuable item, so I may yet give it another try.

For now, my extra CPU cycles are searching for ET. Welcome,TheMaTrIx, kangaxx and RiverGoddess.

The Beta of BOINC is going very smoothly for me. Sometimes I will neglect my manual updating, but that is my fault. It seems very flexible; my expectations and hopes for it are very high.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I was able to joing the ATS team last night, contributed 33 WU's. Thanks for all the help. -muzz

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Whats the WU speed on BOINC anyways?

I hope it won't go up to rediculous amounts of time like the F@H units do sometimes.
Taking a week or so on a 1Ghz machine, but having a timelimit of 2 to 3 weeks on the units. Wich in itself makes using your old P2 266 boxes imposible, because they can't complete units in time.

Thats the main reason why I quit F@H eventhough we had a team that did huge amounts of units. My computing power isn't in single powerfull machines, but in the fact that I have several older boxes that I keep running server duty that use their spare cycles in Distributed projects.

The thing I hated about F@H even more on this subject is that they know exactly what CPU speed you have, so they could easely direct and reserve the smaller, faster units for older boxes and send the big fatso's to the fast boxes.

F@H gives different points for different units, making it so that when you have a very fat unit to proces, you also get fat points for it. But an older machine can't complete the units in time.

Seti lets a P2 300 crunch a unit in 20 to 24 hours, wich makes it put out 2 units a day on my Dual P2 300 box. 2 units a day is alot if its continuous.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Whats the WU speed on BOINC anyways?

Off the top of my head, my AMD XP 2600+ processes a beta BOINC unit in about 6-9 hours. The 1GHz-2GHz Celerons I have are almost worthless, taking over 20 hours.

In the ATS/BOINC thread XN was saying the processing times for the official release should be on par with the orginal SETI.
certain pieces of debug code will be removed so performance will be the same if not better than SAH v1

Here's me hoping!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So your saying debug code is adding 3 to 4 times the time needed for the units to procces?

Thats a freaking lot I must say.

An AXP at 1800~1833 Mhz(2200+ rating I think) does a unit in 3 hours to 3 hours 20.
You AXP 2600+ should do this in 2 hours 10 to 2 hours 30 max.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I will go along with that assessment. My 2600+, using v1 S@H, completes a wu in about 1.5 to 2.5 hours. It is a stripped config for crunching, no non-essential services or software running. Something in BOINC changed in the 3.x version because that same machine was taking 15-17 hours to finish a BOINC unit.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
WoW! Check out the new team member Pedro Enrique! What an entrance!
It is truly an honor to get clobbered by such a heavy-hitter. Tell us a bit about yourself and your rig. Now I am anxiously awaiting an update to the SETI@Work Teams Comparison so we can see where we stand.

Welcome also to the new crew-members, Darkblade71, DavidA, Banshee, and vempire_cnc. I am sure I missed some additions, so say hello when you get a chance.

ATS-SETI is going to make a tremendous showing.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Spectre]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join