It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we totally need an eye for an eye punishment system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
to have such a system, is to renounce the civility of your culture.

it's a horrible, horrible step backwards.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
reply to post by krazykajun425

Sounds awfull but people would stop comiting many crimes like.
Stealing = lose a hand
Kill = be killed
Rape = be raped
Beat your wife = get beat
ect... ect... ect...
so and so forth, most people would think twice about their actions with these types of punishments; more so than jail time.

i think your heart is in the right place; if i believed it actually curbed crime, i would hold the same view. however, i think a revenge-based justice system actually makes crime more common, because it makes a society more brutal.

plus the truly insane criminals like this woman and Manson simply don't learn from their mistakes.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JalZhaunlUss
I wish we had this type of punishment for certain crimes. Murder-you get killed. Rape- You get raped Theft- Get your hand cut off. I know it is a little brutal but rather than a slap on the wrist...actually punish these people.

isn't cutting off a hand for stealing a bit excessive? cmon, most people have stolen something at some point, if only from the cookie jar. when you watched Aladdin, did you actually side with the guy who almost cut off Jasmine's hand?

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
In clear cut cases of guilt for murder, multiple witness's, DNA proof, no remorse from accused, i would like to see execution carried out on the day of sentencing, straight out the back and hang them. None of this, years on death row milking it, fan mail and appeals.

In the case of rape, castration would be a suitable punishment, child molestation would also recieve castration and a visible brand on the forehead so parents are aware of who is around there kids, it would also work as a means of banishment no longer possible in todays day and age due to the global village we now live in.

an eye for an eye would only be viable in the case of murder, i can't see many people willing to rape a man, unless it was the victim with a spiky broom handle.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
what amuses me, when I come on here and witness the muslim bashing threads on how the evil Muslims are wanting to take over the world with sharia Law, it seems many westerners would actually prefer this method of justice, just as long as we dont do the alcohol banning part.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

We don't. But i can understand why you suggest otherwise.

Its the frustration of hearing all too frequently of horrible crimes we simply cannot reconcile.

Thing is, "eye for an eye" will never give anyone concerned what they "need" even if they think it will.

Of course justice should be punnishment/rehabilitation but an eye for an eye is just wrong.

I find it quite ironic that it comes from the bible which also preaches forgiveness and tolerance.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
What do you do if some one runs out in front of you when you are driving and you kill them?

Does the family of the deceased then determine your punishment for an accident?

get rid of cars. Problem solved.

eye for an eye is the best way to go. Would make it so that only insane people and EXTREMELY desperate people would commit crimes.

Originally posted by phoenix103

Thing is, "eye for an eye" will never give anyone concerned what they "need" even if they think it will.

sorry mate, but i have to disagree. If eye for an eye was our way. Nearly all of the crimes committed wouldn't have happened in the first place.

especially with our technology and how far we have come with surveillance and forensics.

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
what amuses me, when I come on here and witness the muslim bashing threads on how the evil Muslims are wanting to take over the world with sharia Law, it seems many westerners would actually prefer this method of justice, just as long as we dont do the alcohol banning part.

i'm all for banning alcohol. No good comes from it.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I believe that all of the advocates of the "eye for an eye" system of justice would do a major 'about-face' if they were ever to find themselves in the position of having this justice metered out on them.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I believe that all of the advocates of the "eye for an eye" system of justice would do a major 'about-face' if they were ever to find themselves in the position of having this justice metered out on them.

they should just move to Saudi Arabia, i'm sure they'd like it there.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Afraid I cannot agree with that. Now its clear we're in different countries presumably with a mix of similar and very different demographics and causes when it comes to crime but a lot of "serious" offences are not premeditated and happen without regard for the consequences. Therefore, the punnishment is not necessarily a deterrent - not matter how draconian.

Here in the UK we have a significant issue with anti social behaviour, those who carry out these crimes tend not to care about what will happen to them as they are utterly disenfranchised (they belong to a relatively new social group - sub working class). This group have seen their parent(s) and grandparent(s) out of work, claiming benefits and resorting to "petty" crimes. To them, they have a different moral code and think that its ok to take things they want and see no problem in attacking others "better off" than they are or destroying property.

Harsh punnishments wouldn't prevent their actions.

That doesn't mean we should be unduly lax when it comes to sentencing but an eye for an eye won't cure these issues.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
i think people who call for more death penalties and torture of criminals are just uncreative/lazy and don't think about other much more effective ways of ending crime, such as education and empowering communities.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join