It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we totally need an eye for an eye punishment system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
so i was reading about a woman in san antonio who killed her 3wk old baby. she chewed the toes of, decapitated and ate the brains of the baby. then the [SNIP] up part is that she will claim insanity and spend the rest of her life in a padded room prob eating three square meals a day and watching cable tv.

eye for an eye i say. victim family justice. a criminal decides to rape and shoot a someone for example.....no letting the scum sit on death row for years and get a fancy last meal and all that crap, im talking right after trial let the closet willing family member rape [SNIP] and shoot them. i bet alot of more serious crimes wouldnt be commited if the criminals knew berfore hand they would face a more harsh sentence. in pakistan they cut off your foot and a hand for bank robbery. maybe thats a lil severe, but an eye for an eye is diff something to think about. thoughts?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
What do you do if some one runs out in front of you when you are driving and you kill them?

Does the family of the deceased then determine your punishment for an accident?

[edit on 30-7-2009 by munkey66]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
haha, did you say " fancy" last meal ??? ... yeah those death row inmates got it so good dont they

As far as an eye for an eye. I think it gives rise to too many complications. What if a girl claims rape, ... which didnt actualy occur ?? People would be rushing to judgement and revenge-rape the guy.

... and then who would do the raping ?? Or is this just another one of your devious master plans ?? haha

and what about all those death row inmates who get their rulings reversed due to new, or dna evidence ??? would they be just collateral damage .

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Yikes! This sounds so Old Testament to me. I would be rather "uncomfortable", to say the least, with a justice system like this. Who will be the one who kills that mother and eats her toes and brains? Yech!

[edit on 30-7-2009 by kyred]
Edited twice for lazy fingers syndrome.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by kyred]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

yeah as a matter of fact the death row inmates do have it good considering the crimes some commit. i have friends and family that work n 3 diff prisons. while all ot the same for the most part they dont just sit in a cell all day, they go outside excersise,tv's with cable shows are hung outside the cells for them to watch and yes, they do get to request a "fancy" last meal as in what ever they want within reason.
im talking cases that include the death penalty. you really think someone that hits someone with a car on accident they will get the death penalty??? prob not.
if it is a lesser crime then let the current system stay in place. murder cases...eye for an eye. violent crimes...same thing. and for the auto accident... if its found to be on accident, then obviously the punishment should not be severe, if it was intentional, absolutly the family should have a say in the punishment

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by krazykajun425

Sounds awfull but people would stop comiting many crimes like.
Stealing = lose a hand
Kill = be killed
Rape = be raped
Beat your wife = get beat
ect... ect... ect...
so and so forth, most people would think twice about their actions with these types of punishments; more so than jail time.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It would never work. While I am for harsher sentancing, an eye for an eye plan is stupid.

What happens to the guy who is convicted of murder who can be released in our current system if he is later found innocent during his appeals or if new evidence shows he is innocent?

An eye for an eye punishment system would kill an innocent man, making whoever was involved with prosecuting him accessories to murder and the circle would start.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

That is a valid point. No in reality this system would not actualy work but it is food for thought.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
What happens if someone is wrongfully accused?
How much punishment is enough?
If eye for an eye were the law, there would be people taking the law into their own hands all over. It would be the Salem witch hunts all over again.
People would be messing up others, for allegedly just cause. If it is proven beyond any doubt whatsoever, and I mean no doubt, then let the law fall to the victims. But the investigations need to be spot on, and the person given a grace period, just in case that something was determined to be missing that could prove their innocence. there have already been a slew of cases, where people have been cleared by DNA, but spent some years already in jail.

If you want to get more accurate with eye for an eye, then be practical.
Non violent offenders, do not deserve to be in general population with the likes of rapists and murderers. Let's say someone gets 3 months for some stupid mistake, like blowing off a few tickets, Does that person deserve to be locked up in Riker's with the general population? NO way!!
Justice is blind, but a little too blind.
The whole idea is ripe with opportunity to abuse it.
As if we needed something else to add to an already corrupted system.
Besides, if people are not locked up, there goes billions in funding.
Which is what this is all about.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Well DNA is pretty rock solid, if the cse was poven without doubt and had DNA to back it up ten eye for eye sounds ok. But if there is no DNA but enough evidence to convict then jail would be ok. Oh and forgot...
Child molesters = mutilation of private parts

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I think there's poetic justice in 'Eye 4 Eye Punishment' but with a legal system that only practices 'Truth & Justice For All Those That Can Afford It', the 'Eye 4 Eye Punishment' will only succeed in prosecuting a lot of innocent people.

That doesn't mean I don't wish it upon some of societies sickos though.

IRM

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Sounds all find and dandy well... until you make a mistake..

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

What if some girl gets raped in an ally, and you happen to walk by not much longer after the rapist. (Assuming you see nothing) but someone sees you there at that time, and identifies you. Maybe the rapist wears a condom, no DNA evidence that way. Bam. You become a rapist, now take of your pants and wait by her angry father to come meet you in the exam room right after sentencing.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I wish we had this type of punishment for certain crimes. Murder-you get killed. Rape- You get raped Theft- Get your hand cut off. I know it is a little brutal but rather than a slap on the wrist...actually punish these people.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
An eye for an eye isn't justice. It's revenge. You shouldn't be thinking "This happened, now WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!?!?!" because there's nothing we can do about it really. Cutting her head off isn't going to reanimate the baby. Instead when something like this happens we should ask ourselves "Why did this happen?"

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Could eye for an eye not also mean that we need to try to see things through other's eyes as well?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Bring back the noose.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
If you dig deep enough you'll find that the majority of crimes are alcohol and or drug related, so answer is:

1. Increase taxes on booze tenfold - make it so expensive to get drunk, that you can only afford do so once every few months, instead of weekly, and in many cases daily.

2. Eliminate all GANGS from existence - crush their means of transport, ban them from consorting, make illegal wearing of gang regalia. Just keep locking the buggers up and increasing the sentences...better still send them on a shuttle to the mines being planned on Mars!

Me

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey
If you dig deep enough you'll find that the majority of crimes are alcohol and or drug related, so answer is:

1. Increase taxes on booze tenfold - make it so expensive to get drunk, that you can only afford do so once every few months, instead of weekly, and in many cases daily.

2. Eliminate all GANGS from existence - crush their means of transport, ban them from consorting, make illegal wearing of gang regalia. Just keep locking the buggers up and increasing the sentences...better still send them on a shuttle to the mines being planned on Mars!

Me

Which one was Ted Bundy? The Green River Killer?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join