It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic food is no healthier, study finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

LONDON (Reuters) - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

The results of research, which was commissioned by the British government's Food Standards Agency, were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Sales of organic food have fallen in some markets, including Britain, as recession has led consumers to cut back on purchases.

The Soil Association said in April that growth in sales of organic products in Britain slowed to just 1.7 percent in 2008, well below the average annual growth rate of 26 percent over the last decade, following a plunge in demand at the end of the year.

Source Article: www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Sounds like a fertilizer company funded this study lol.

Seriously, if it's not better for you, it's no doubt better for the environment.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yeah, I'd be very curious who funded the study, probably Monsanto or something

I read a thread on ATS awhile back that actually showed that organic food does have more antioxidants. I think the explanation was that since pesticides couldn't be used, the plants had to increase its natural defenses in order to survive (making them more healthy) whereas plants that used pesticides could be "weaker" and still survive.

But really, I don't think most people buy organic because they think it has more vitamin C or whatever, they buy it since they don't want the nasty chemicals which have never been studied in human trials.

Xenoestrogens are chemicals that provoke or mimic estrogen in the body. Examples of xenoestrogens include many insecticides and pesticides
www.ehow.com...

You also don't have to worry about genetically modified foods, which can damage your liver in animal studies.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
lol people are idiots.

with this fact in mind.. you can publish studies that dis-prove things that were never believed to be true in the first place.

bwahahahahah... the overall "tone" of the articles makes people in general shrug their shoulders with that tad of info.. and possibly sway any would-be future organic buyers away from buying organic because "it's not what they think its cracked up to be.."

THE TRUTH IS... nobody buys organic because they think it's got more NUTRITION than conventional produce...

they buy it because it doesn't have POISONOUS PESTICIDES and MODIFIED GENES.

THATS WHY people buy it..

not for some nutritional difference.

this is not a study in healthy food it's a study in human idiocy.. and i bet it will affect hundreds of thousands of people's choices.. ignorant people .. the type of people who get swayed by those Fructose corn commercials where the "in the know" cool urban african american mom comes correct to the made to look dumba$$ whitebread mom.
telling her.. that "just like rat poison.. it's safe in moderation"..

i pray for you tube vids mocking this report.

people are idiots.
keep this in mind at all times.

-

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If people actually read the article properly it is saying there is no extra NUTRITIONAL benefits from organic than mass produced food. It also goes onto say that the report does not include any data to the use of pesticides.
They are not saying organic isnt any better for you as organics dont use pesticides and such just the point of the nutrition content between the two is negligble.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Organic is way better. Don't let the Monsanto funded studies fool you. If you grow your own organic veggies, you KNOW there is a difference. Taste alone will tell you that. No planes flying over your veggies dropping poison is just a no-brainer! "Let's see do I want this tomato that has been soaked in Di-xxxxxxide and then sprayed with whatever else to turn it to the red color it is supposed to be? Or shall I eat this deep red organic tomato that has beautiful discoloration, is not genetically motified, and was picked yesterday?"

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So, they would have us belive, red grapes, essiac tea, and B17 have NO effects on the countless poeple it has prolonged thier lives? I find this interesting...NOT!
Whens the las time, or ever! YOU heard or read a deformed plant or vegetable grew withoht the inervention of human error? Really, this study is so far off, its pthetic actually.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I was speaking today to a colleague of mine who has a masters degree in agriculture, she said the problem with organic growers is that they think that because something is natural that it is okay to use it as much as you like. So the organic farmer will often over use a fertiliser and pesticide because it is natural and they think it won't do any harm. However all it means is that the soil and plant can break the chemicals down naturally. Many organically approved pesticides and nutrients are still toxic if the recommended levels are exceeded. And many organic producers, swayed by the growing demand for their organic produce, will use these 'chemicals' beyond those recommended levels in order to get a good crop. They are in it for the money just like any other producer after all.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Been there, done that, a thread was already started about this topic...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by miss_silver

It's ok. Topics posted in the BAN forum may be duplicated in the forum in which the topic fits best.

I saw this link earlier today from a friends Twitter.

Prevenge was all over this one. It's not the nutritional value that anyone cares about with organic produce, it's the fact that they are not genetically modified and they don't contain harmful pesticides. Simple as that!

Good Catch, Prevenge!!

-Dev

[edit on 30-7-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

top topics

join