It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hottest Temperatures in Recorded History In Pacific Northwest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I guess the 1941 record was a first attempt at a global calamity caused by----hmmmmm---Japanese? Nazis?
And I presume Clinton was responsible for the end of the earth during the 1994 record?

Seriously, many places on the planet have new records every day of the year, and to loudly scream to the people every new record high while ignoring the equal number of record lows is just bad form.

Just passed through Redding, CA. the other day and it was 115F, but 7 hours earlier on the Oregon coast---Reedsport--- the coast was in the 50's and 60's the whole week in a stretch from the sea to about 15-20 miles inland.

Global warming? Duhhh, happens every year between about June and the end of August. (On the top half of the planet, anyway.)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GioTheGreek
Forest fires are gonna be all over the place after this heat wave no?

Even though the Northwest (Washington, BC) has mild winters, even this must be absolute torture for some individuals who don't have A/C.

Relatively mild anyway. The highlands get a pretty decent amount of snow. Eugene, Oregon's winter is comparable to London's and Vancouver, British Columbia's is comparable to New York City.

And yes, it is absolute torture! I feel like I have bubble gum all over me.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
I guess the 1941 record was a first attempt at a global calamity caused by----hmmmmm---Japanese? Nazis?
And I presume Clinton was responsible for the end of the earth during the 1994 record?

Seriously, many places on the planet have new records every day of the year, and to loudly scream to the people every new record high while ignoring the equal number of record lows is just bad form.

Just passed through Redding, CA. the other day and it was 115F, but 7 hours earlier on the Oregon coast---Reedsport--- the coast was in the 50's and 60's the whole week in a stretch from the sea to about 15-20 miles inland.

Global warming? Duhhh, happens every year between about June and the end of August. (On the top half of the planet, anyway.)

I never said it was because of human-induced global warming. It's just amazing that it hasn't been this hot since the Native Americans still lived here.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

When the native Americans were the only, or one of the few inhabitants in North America there were warmer temperatures during some periods. The poles have also been a lot warmer than they are now several times in the past 16,000 years.

There have been Climate Changes which brought suffering and death among Native American tribes, as well as people from all over the globe, and times which were much warmer than it is now.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
We're breaking records almost everyday where I am in BC; it's almost unbearable to go outside.

Don't worry though! If you listen to the American "global warming skeptics" in the US senate, Jesus won't allow things to get much worse, so sleep with the lights on and buy that Hummer H1! Thanks America, the world loves you

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Crazy weather up here..

I live in Vancouver which is 3 hours north of Seattle. and MAN, i have never remembered it being this hot..

Our winter was the worst winter on record,, and this is the hottest driest summer ever... and juiciest...

and a couple days ago there was the craziest lightning storm... which hasent happened ever downtown vancouver..

what the # is next.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
There's nothing normal about our weather up here - I'm about 70 miles north of Seattle and I've never experienced this type of heat here.

We had more snow in winter than I've ever experienced and now it's as hot as I've ever seen it.

On the plus side my garden is growing great - just takes more water.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by pavil

Did we have any tropical storms this year? cause I don't remember that.

See what I mean?>>>>>>> We only tend to remember abnormal events, we just forget the supposedly "normal" times.

Course the "climate change' people have that covered too, the lack of storms is also Mankind's fault, either way it's our fault. It's like the climate change crowd are the wives and the rest of us are the husband's.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by pavil]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here in Northern California, Southern Oregon we are getting hammered with 110-120 degree weather day after day. It is downright unbearable.

Thankfully we don't have high humidity like the Southern United States. However, the dry humidity mixed with high temperature weather makes for thunderstorms that lead to Forest Fires which our area is renown for. The tanker planes have been running non-stop for the past couple of days.

For Northern California and Southern California next week's forecast is for High Temperatures of 54-57 degrees beginning Tuesday. It is anticipated it will be the coldest week in Pacific Northwest recorded History (for August any way).

This has definitely been a record breaking schizophrenic year. There is another thread floating around showing the freak electrical storms we were having earlier in the summer along with daily rain consistently for the whole year up until the very end of June.

It really has me wondering what is in store for us come Autumn.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If you don't remember the news flash from a few months ago, global warming is on hold for at least the next decade, due to "natural climate variations".
This came from the vocal "carbon credit now!" crowd, no less. After they were frozen out of a few conferences this winter as they showed up in shorts and t-shirts in the winter expecting a balmy climate. (Sarcasm)
As for hottest weather in the northwest since the natives were restless, 1941 and 1994 were only a degree or 2 cooler, and as the temperatures are usually noted at Seatac, I can guarantee you the readings are much hotter amongst all the asphalt then they were when great grandpa measured it in the woods or dirt streets around 1900, or 1920, or even 1930 before the megalopolis was constructed.
And no, mankind hasn't created an amount of "heat islands" to even make a fraction of a percent difference in global temperature, as the 71% of the planet covered by water is darker than any isolated heat island.

If you forgo any man made climate change argument, yes, the climate is changing. It is always changing. It has historically been much warmer, with a much higher concentration of co2, but those are geologically short periods. For a vastly longer period, we live on an ice ball, with short periods of thaw.
The ultimate fate of the planet is to freeze solid as the atmosphere gradually bleeds off.
It won't be pleasant, as for a long period of time, the day side will rise to the + hundreds of degrees, while the night side will drop to the - hundreds of degrees.

I would argue that it is more important to pump the atmosphere full of as many natural gasses as possible (oxygen and nitrogen mostly) as we have already lost 1/2 of it since the age of dinosaurs, and much more decrease in atmospheric pressure will allow all the subsea methane's, now frozen by pressure to be released.
And that would be a very bad day for all life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join