It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hottest Temperatures in Recorded History In Pacific Northwest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Hottest Temperatures in Recorded History In Pacific Northwest

news.yahoo.com

SEATTLE – Northwesterners more accustomed to rain and cooler climate sought refuge from a heat wave on Wednesday, as Seattle recorded the hottest temperature in its history and Portland edged closer to its own record-breaker.

The National Weather Service in Seattle recorded 102 degrees by midday at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, breaking a previous record of 100 degrees, set in downtown Seattle in 1941 and repeated at the airport in 1994.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Jay Albrecht, a meteorologist with the service, said it's the hottest it has been in Seattle since records dating to 1891.

Meanwhile, Portland ventured into its third day of triple-digit heat Wednesday, hitting 104 degrees by midday. Forecasters said there's a slight chance the city could reach or even surpass its all-time high of 107 degrees, hit four times, most recently in 1981.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It hasn't been this hot here in more than 100 years. Possibly, in more than a thousand years.

We aren't used to weather like this, so it is something of a weather emergency. I'm fine, but it is absolute hell and uncomfortable! It's quite humid too.

What's amazing is it probably hasn't been this hot here since the Middle Ages!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
103 was Seattle high, but just south where I have been all day, close to this Weather station current weather, It reached 106 degrees,

more info at this thread

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Forest fires are gonna be all over the place after this heat wave no?

Even though the Northwest (Washington, BC) has mild winters, even this must be absolute torture for some individuals who don't have A/C.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
While this is record breaking for Seattle the rest of us in Washington are having a normal summer with our normal highs of 100 plus. We also had a nice cold winter with lots of snow.

Please remember Seattle and Portland are merely parts of the Pacific Northwest; the west side of Washington and Oregon; there's a entirely different climate on the east side and we are having a normal summer except for having enough water due to a nice snow pack last winter. By the by last winter our temps dipped to near 0 degrees also a normal occurance for us.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Its seems like the weather just wacked. Human are #ing up the earth. Maybe the sun has something to do with it but most of it us.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gobucks
Its seems like the weather just wacked. Human are #ing up the earth. Maybe the sun has something to do with it but most of it us.

You bought Al Gore's book didn't you?

I guess they like Suburbans on Mars right?

I'm in Seattle and contemplating suicide.

They said that only 13% of Seattle has air conditioning, opposed to the 58% in Portland.

I'm the other 87%

EDIT: not actually contemplating suicide

[edit on 29-7-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Today it has been around 55-60, and right now it is 55 degrees in Wyoming. It has also been shown in other threads that we have had the most record lows at least for June and July, but of course, just because some places it is getting hotter immediately someone has got to claim "it's all our fault"...

Are there people still falling for the lies that anthropogenic CO2 is the cause for Climate Change?....

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I can see ice melting and the rest of world can too. If the world dont do someting about carbon future generations will pay for our sins.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
see ive been accustomed to hot weather.....i lived in stockton where it reached up to 110 to 115 and not to mention when i was deployed how bad it was lol but right where im at now wich is near portland its gotten to be 107 which i suppose is the hottest its been here in quite some time but my gf said that the only dif from all the other past summers was that its getting hotter faster this summer than the rest of them....idk if what people are saying is true about the end is nigh!! they better start repenting! lol

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I wish we had 100+ here in Wisconsin, I love hot weather.I never look forward to winter, -01 average sucks... Bring on the heat...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gobucks

The weather has always been "wacked". There are countless natural disasters every year, we as humans, tend to only remember the "bad" times. You don't hearing anyone talking about the lack of hurricanes in recent years, is that Mankinds fault too?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I am on the Canadian side of the the NW and this weather killing me....i am melting

now i am going back to lay on the cool concrete basement floor

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Did we have any tropical storms this year? cause I don't remember that.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It's been a very cool summer in Michigan. We've been having high's in the 60's the last week or two.

The weather is wacky...but that doesn't mean we're the primary cause of it either.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
While this is record breaking for Seattle the rest of us in Washington are having a normal summer with our normal highs of 100 plus. We also had a nice cold winter with lots of snow.

Please remember Seattle and Portland are merely parts of the Pacific Northwest; the west side of Washington and Oregon; there's a entirely different climate on the east side and we are having a normal summer except for having enough water due to a nice snow pack last winter. By the by last winter our temps dipped to near 0 degrees also a normal occurance for us.

Still, that's pretty wild for the west side of the rain shadow!

It's not just Seattle and Portland, its' the Rain shadow in general....

Which is rather significant....

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Portland Oregon today had temps at 109 degrees where I live.. my apt has no AC (no bodies apt/home does that I personally know.... usually, there is no need, hell, last week was low 80's and 70's!?) My Apt right now is hotter than it is outside, about 115 .. all I have is 4 fans running full blast

Ironically... I was excited to move here from the Mid West to escape SNOW and HEAT .... thus far I have experienced Portland's worst snow storm and coldest temps as well Portland's hottest temps..

Today, at about noon, it was 90 something, we drove an hour west to the beach .. it was perfect.. 68 degrees, foggy, I fell asleep on the beach, then went for fresh sea food and ice cream.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil DrummerboyDid we have any tropical storms this year? cause I don't remember that.

Here's a synopsis of this year's Atlantic activity.

en.wikipedia.org...

So far, there has been one tropical depression.

Things will start getting cranked up as we get toward September, but it has been awfully quiet this year.

A summary of last year's activity can be found here:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

Pacific Northwest refers the the temperate rainforest to the westernmost united states. While I'm sure some aren't aware that OR and WA have amazingly diverse terrain and climate across the states (you can go from ocean over mountain to valley to desert in a matter of 3 or 4 hours driving...), the post is refering to the pacific northwest, not the eastern part of the western states. If it is normal for you, what is the point of posting?

As someone born and raised in Portland, I can tell you that this really is anything but normal. Personally, I am not too bothered by the heat, other than being a bit uncomfortable. But this is, as the OP stated, a once in a generation occurance.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I was out putting my garbage in the dumpster today and noticed a lot of smoke in the air. I went on Threat Watch and found out just how bad it is. Forest fires in Alaska, Yukon, and especially B.C. in two of my favorite beauty spots the upper Slocan and the Okanagan. The potential for bad results of fires is also particularly high in northern Alberta. I'm not saying anything about the cause but it sure has been hot this last while.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join